In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Jenson, our Beagle/Lab puppy

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
He is just miserable. [:(] He has been itching like crazy the past 3-4 days, to the point he has cut himself a few times. We called and talked to our vet and they are fairly confident it is puppy allergies. Apparently they have had a ton of dogs in the past 2 weeks for them. We will be on the Benadryl regiment 2 days tomorrow, so hopefully it starts helping. I just feel terrible for the little guy.

Any other ideas or remedies? We did a apple cider vinegar bath this afternoon too. I think if he isn't any better by Monday morning(and he doesn't get worse) we will take him to the vet.

Jon

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
    Awww. There was a thread about this not too long ago. Many agreed on the same home treatment,but I can not remember what it specifically was. Hope the same posters see this.
  • Options
    kenlguykenlguy Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    What are you feeding him? Is corn listed as the first ingredient? If it is, switch to a premium food IMMEDIATLY.
    Honestly, we see so many dogs with food allergies throughout the year, it's unbelievable. The vets almost never blame the food as the main culprit even though you would think that they would know better by now. This isn't meant to dump on vets but they would rather sell Science Diet and antibiotics.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kenlguy
    What are you feeding him? Is corn listed as the first ingredient? If it is, switch to a premium food IMMEDIATLY.
    Honestly, we see so many dogs with food allergies throughout the year, it's unbelievable. The vets almost never blame the food as the main culprit even though you would think that they would know better by now. This isn't meant to dump on vets but they would rather sell Science Diet and antibiotics.

I don't have a bag handy, but I will check online right now. We have been feeding him the same food for a few months though...maybe a developing allergy? I can relate to that myself with wasp stings.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Corn gluten meal is the #2 ingredient.

Jon
  • Options
    kenlguykenlguy Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    Corn gluten meal is the #2 ingredient.

Jon

Find something without any corn, wheat, or soy. Give it a week or so and see if that has any effect on his condition.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My last black lab had allergies. WE put him on iams lamb and rice it helped. Was really bad when the brome grass bloomed used benadryl on him in the summer months.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be a yeast infection too.
    RLTW

• Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Our black lab had itching problems this past spring. What worked was giving her some canned tuna every now and then. I also cracked an egg on her dog food once a week. Something about the fish oil helping her skin not dry out. Whatever - it worked and was a cheap solution.[:)]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Could be a yeast infection too.

+1

and it caused from cheaper foods, change his diet and his shampoo to zymox , I guarantee it will stop

http://www.zymox.com/products

expensive but last very long, and worth your dog not suffering

http://www.zymox.com/products#skinCare

edit: we have a puggle beagel/pug , he went through the same issues, his back where he could reach was going bald

and he had a slight smell like burnt frittos, when out in the sun for awhile
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    If its dry flakey skin use witchazel on cotton balls and peel the hair backward so the witchazel gets closest to the skin. Our one dog itched like crazy and it turned to be the skin was oily and that made her itch. We use a special shampoo on her every two weeks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I started Jenson on Blue Buffalo dog food today. Hopefully he will show some signs of improvement in the next few days to a week.

Jon