In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cowboy boots and caring for them?--Update

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
So, I have been wanting a pair for a while now. I had a pair when I was around 10 or so and wore the heck out of them! [:D] I have not had a pair since. As much as I like them, I always hated the traction(causes problems with winter up here in WI) and how narrow most of them are. For the past couple years, I would look at them occasionally and try a pair on. I found a few of the square toe styles that fit me good, but just never bought a pair. On top of all this, my wife finds them to be "ugly."

Well, she just surprised the heck out of me for my birthday! She bought me a pair of Under Armour Wellington style boots. I have been in total shock the past couple days. I wore them out to dinner and to our planned hotel stay last night. They fit great and feel comfortable so far and the best part is that they have some real good traction on them.

Here is the boot she got me: http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Tradesman-Boots-BOOTLEGGER/dp/B00IKTH9Q6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422748569&sr=8-1&keywords=under+armour+bootlegger

What do you guys use to keep them looking nice?

UPDATE: Well, I picked up some mink oil. I can't remember the name, but it is made here in Wisconsin. Rubbed them down real good, gave them a few minutes, and then wiped the access off. It darkened them up quite a bit, but they look great. Dang, I like the smell of that mink oil! [:D]

Jon

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am glad you finally got a pair! Don
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Only wear them to McDonalds...
    Other than that,don't buy'em less U fixin to wear'em!!!
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Cowboy boots are the only "dress shoes" I own. They're pretty much for marryin's and buryin's. Since they don't get worn much, I give them a wipe down with furniture polish, like Pledge. Really...[:I]
    ..One exception...when I was in Vegas, I had a shine boy go to town on them. Real good shine and great conversation.
  • Options
    Dr.NippsDr.Nipps Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mink oil. I always oil my boots soon as I get them as dry leather will crack on you. Rub down the outside with a damp rag to remove any dirt then let it dry. Next use a rag to spread the mink oil on outside like waxing a car. Let is sit while minking the next boot then come back and remove. If you are rushing make sure at least 10mins to sit before removing. Mink oil will also waterproof them, just make sure to get the stitches or will have leaks.

*WARNINGS*
    I am not sure about all oils and "leather treatments" but ones I've seen will darken them. Just means the leather is moist and when they lighten up they need more oil. Also if you chose to use saddle soap make sure you remove all the suds real good or will have to start over.

IMG_0376.jpg
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Place I bought mine said to use this.

ihwx.df8bb42e-fe4c-429a-b201-bb3676427ce9.500.500.jpg
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    like a medium toe, walking heel, bottom of some artificial for traction
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boot polish from the place I got them. Also leather conditioner and waterproofing them helps. I don't like the square tip boots myself, I prefer the pointed boots. Yes John, They have no traction at all, but you get use to that after a while. Wore boots my whole life, almost every day.

boots.jpg

These were my old summer dress boots that I didn't waterproof. They got so stained, that I should just toss them. I keep them because I wore them almost 30 years ago on the day I got married.

boot1.jpg
  • Options
    BLKSRT8BLKSRT8 Member Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: On top of all this, my wife finds them to be "ugly."

I'am with the wife.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    I am glad you finally got a pair! Don

I see what you did there! [:D]

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    Boot polish from the place I got them. Also leather conditioner and waterproofing them helps. I don't like the square tip boots myself, I prefer the pointed boots. Yes John, They have no traction at all, but you get use to that after a while. Wore boots my whole life, almost every day.

boots.jpg

These were my old summer dress boots that I didn't waterproof. They got so stained, that I should just toss them. I keep them because I wore them almost 30 years ago on the day I got married.

boot1.jpg

Oakie,

The ones I ended up getting are what I would call in between. They are not the square toe style, but are not as pointed as some I have seen. As for the traction, I would agree with you there. My dad has had a pair he wears on the weekends and I don't ever remember seeing him fall, with them on.

The ones you have in the 2nd picture, remind me somewhat of the boots I had when I was young. Mine were gray in color though. I can still remember how "cool" I thought they were......dancing at a wedding with my thumbs in my belt loops of my Levi's and tapping my heels back and fourth. My mom claims she has a video of it somewhere, but she has yet to find it.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BLKSRT8
    quote: On top of all this, my wife finds them to be "ugly."

I'am with the wife.

No your not. I just checked downstairs and she was by herself......[;)]

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dr.Nipps
    Mink oil. I always oil my boots soon as I get them as dry leather will crack on you. Rub down the outside with a damp rag to remove any dirt then let it dry. Next use a rag to spread the mink oil on outside like waxing a car. Let is sit while minking the next boot then come back and remove. If you are rushing make sure at least 10mins to sit before removing. Mink oil will also waterproof them, just make sure to get the stitches or will have leaks.

*WARNINGS*
    I am not sure about all oils and "leather treatments" but ones I've seen will darken them. Just means the leather is moist and when they lighten up they need more oil. Also if you chose to use saddle soap make sure you remove all the suds real good or will have to start over.

IMG_0376.jpg

I actually like the idea of darkening them a bit. They are slightly lighter in color than the picture shows them online. The wife said she wanted to send them back because of that, but she knew I would like them either way and kept them.

Jon
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure if this is info your looking for but I've worn Cowboy boots for 40+ years and have owned more I can count but the best wearing boots I've owned were a pair I bought one morning (T. Lamas) and went directly (unplanned emergency) into a pond to clear a stopped up overflow drain, worked for about an hour and boots got soaking wet, I really thought they were ruined so I then wore them the rest of the day and they dried to conform to my feet. As stated above from then on its been only pledge furniture polish to shine them up when the occassion call for pretty boots [:D], they're @ 20 yrs old, worn daily and have been re-soled and heeled numerous time from wear but the leather is still holding it's self-molded shape, very-very comfortable and good looking [;)]. Note: if and when I ever buy another new pair they WILL be soaked in water and dried while on my feet, that I learned is a good thing [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Montana Pitch Blend from Schnee's.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As my son tells my wife "There made for wearin mom". That boy hasn't wore tennis shoes since he was in kindergarten. New boots are scratched to hell the same day. My wife on the other hand, has a pair of snake skin boots I got her about 6 years ago, and they look like new. She only wears them to rodeos and dinner though.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use mink oil. Sometimes I will clean the crap off them before putting on the mink oil. Don
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Mink oil too.
    Now I use Pecard on my leather kicks. Really reseals and makes leather supple and prevents cracking.
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Wait, what !!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oil and polish on cowboy boots ???

You boys must be from N-E-W Y-O-R-K C-I-T-Y,,,,,,,,,,,same place ya get yer 'Salsa', eh ??? [:D][:0][:o)]

What he said, just wear the hell out of them and get the little woman to chip for a new pair when they wear out[:)]

Not to steal the thread, but how did you break them in? I always put them in a bucket of warm water, put them on with a pair of thick socks and ear them dry. They will dry to fit your feet and be the most comfortable pair of footwear you'll ever own.