In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New tires for the Jeep!

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
My new tires arrived for the Jeep Renegade today! They are Continental Continental Terrain Contact A/T's. These should be a really nice mix of a good A/T tire for snow/mud and still wear decent on the highway. I'm hoping that at least. They will definitely be better than the passenger car tires that came on it.

They were $614 shipped to my door and I just finished filling out the $210 worth of rebates for them.

Now I just have to decide if I have them mounted and balanced now, or wait until Fall.

71pekp.jpg

2uqd7k0.jpg

Jon

Comments

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those should be good tires,especially for the price you paid.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******
    edited November -1
    You bought them for a reason,so get them on the jeep now.
    Looking good. [^][^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you didn't get them just cause,'they make for a good picture',,,[;)][;)][;)]

(I see its still in your sig line,[:D][:D])
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The tread pattern indicates a mediocre off highway performance "all season" tire. Should work OK in heavy rain environments and fair in light snow but I predict very poor performance in any sort of "mud".
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wait till fall no sense in wearing off the new on HOT summer highways
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redhawkk480

Agree
  • Options
    Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope you have better luck with them than I had. The set I had was not very cut resistant. A few trail rides on these western rocks and they were so full of cuts I had to replace them. I've been using BFG tires since and have had much better luck.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pick up a set of trade-in factory rims that fit your Jeep and have 'em mounted up now. Makes the change over much quicker and easier.
    I've done that with both our rigs. With a DeWalt 1/2" electric impact wrench and a small floor jack I usually swap my own right in the driveway.
  • Options
    Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bottom Gun
    I hope you have better luck with them than I had. The set I had was not very cut resistant. A few trail rides on these western rocks and they were so full of cuts I had to replace them. I've been using BFG tires since and have had much better luck.

Talk about a buzz kill![:(]
  • Options
    Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    you didn't get them just cause,'they make for a good picture',,,[;)][;)][;)]

(I see its still in your sig line,[:D][:D])

[:D] I suppose I can take that out of my sig line now.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    The tread pattern indicates a mediocre off highway performance "all season" tire. Should work OK in heavy rain environments and fair in light snow but I predict very poor performance in any sort of "mud".

I'm not terribly worried about the mud performance, as this "mini" Jeep is my everyday driver. I'm more concerned with the rain/snow performance.

I figure these babies will be a huge upgrade over what is on it right now. I will snap a picture before I head into work today and post it. They don't belong on an SUV in Wisconsin! [:0]

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Heavy Chevy

It's all good. I like good & honest reviews.

Like I mentioned in my response to "Mobuck", this little Jeep is my everyday driver, so the mud part is really not too important to me. I'm more looking for a decent tire in the rain and snow.

I love the BFG's you mentioned and that's what I was dead-set on getting originally. I just couldn't bring myself to pay their asking price, when I knew I wouldn't really get the full use out of them trail riding yet. Once I get this little Jeep paid off, I'm going to look into a more aggressive trail rated tire and a 2" lift. [8D]

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Pick up a set of trade-in factory rims that fit your Jeep and have 'em mounted up now. Makes the change over much quicker and easier.
    I've done that with both our rigs. With a DeWalt 1/2" electric impact wrench and a small floor jack I usually swap my own right in the driveway.

That's actually something I have done in the past. Not a bad idea.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    quote:Originally posted by redhawkk480

Agree

I think that's what I'm going to do. I just have to fight that urge. [:p]

Jon
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do they come in any other colors besides black??[:)]
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

That's actually something I have done in the past. Not a bad idea.

Jon

That's what I did with my Jeep.
    Baja Wide Trac M/Ts on the black D slots and Dayton Ridgeline A/Ts on the truck rallies.
    Cryin' shame Dayton went out of business. Those Ridgelines are the best A/T tire I've ever used. Good in rain and snow, and they wear like iron.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only NEW tires I've bought this century were ag tires. Both farm pickups are running TreadWright re-molds and the work pickup and JEEP are running auction site tires.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    Do they come in any other colors besides black??[:)]

I'm not quite sure if it was just the statement or some to do with the lack of sleep as well, but that made me laugh my butt off. [:D]

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    These are the tires currently on my Jeep.

2n869ev.jpg

Jon
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Continental tires came on my Honda CR-V new. I think I got around 20k out of them. The curvy roads around here wear out tires pretty fast.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep, the tires are going on ASAP. We drove through a fairly heavy rainstorm earlier today and I was hydroplaning everywhere.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good to hear you're getting them put on now. That's what you bought them for,not to dry rot. Safe travel on them for many of miles. [^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Good to hear you're getting them put on now. That's what you bought them for,not to dry rot. Safe travel on them for many of miles. [^][^][^][^]

Thanks sir. I will make sure to update on wear and results in certain weather conditions.

Jon