In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Picnic Time!

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I will have to try and make it to this.[^] Any other WI residents should do the same.

http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/44626467.html

People Invited to Bring Guns to Picnic

"One man is throwing a special party at a neighborhood park to celebrate a recent memo from the Wisconsin attorney general. Those people heading to the picnic will be packing heat at a barbecue.

Hubert Hoffman says he's a law abiding citizen of Onalaska and he says he's following the law when he wears his loaded pistol while he mows his lawn.

"It appears to be that there is this stigma attached with firearms that everybody is somehow afraid of them."

A recent memo released by J.B. Van Hollen reminds local law enforcement that it's legal for people to openly carry a firearm. Because of that memo, Hoffman is throwing an Open Carry picnic at Marvin Garden Park in Onalaska.

His goal is "to educate the public that firearms owners are not a danger to the general public."

Hoffman says he's bringing food for 300 and hopes people attending bring their guns. He's also pushing for lawmakers to pass a state carry and conceal law.

"I would love to see some sort of law like that again. I don't think it's required."

City of Onalaska police chief Jeff Trotnic says he doesn't think the picnic will cause any safety issues, but it may cause some public concern.

"I don't know. I don't really know what to think of it. I just hope the intent of the people that are going there is. I just hope there are no problems."

Hoffman says he isn't worried about any police interference with the picnic.

In fact he invited people to "come on out. We're having hotdogs and hamburgers. You're welcome to join us, as they too are citizens who open carry is part of their daily routine."

The Open Carry picnic starts at 11 a.m., May 17th at Marvin Garden Park in Onalaska. For more information, you can call this number, 608-792-0669."