In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mice eating wires on car

Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
Anyone have a good review on an electronic mouse repealant? They have done a real job on the wiring on my wife's car.

Have tried the chemical route, that hasn't worked. Dealer quoted me a 4-5000 figure for wiring harness on a 2014 Hyundai Veloster.

Traded instead, just trying to try something that will work to keep the little bastids at bay.

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Mice or Squirrel's

Mice look for at the feed store.

Fresh_Cab_Rodent_Repellent-2.jpg

Replace every 3-4 months. Since its your wife's car she will love the smell. No fooling girls love the smell.
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have the same problems here, they have eaten a traction control harness, gas line, built a nest in the engine compartment nearly causing a fire and nibbled on a fuel pump wire at the top of a fuel tank on a P/U truck. And the rabbits and squirrels are just as bad.

I am looking for recommendations as well
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grumpy, have used that. No good[xx(][:(][V]
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of these in my Barn and he keeps the population culled

black-rat-snake_624.jpg

Another suggestion is a Cat. I really don't like Cats but they will get after the mice.
    RLTW

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep rat/mouse poison out all the time. Under the house, in the garage, in the out buildings, under the kitchen and bathroom sinks and any likely entrance points. I notice some poison eaten from time to time but rarely seen a mouse in the 18 years I've lived here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cornflk1
    Grumpy, have used that. No good[xx(][:(][V]

It works for inside. But not under the hood.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Scouts said, at my country rolling mansion,aka deercamp, I keep mouse poison out in the open garage and seems to work pretty well. The mower got chewed up before I did that and now things SEEM better. They still get in the rolling mansion once in a while but have traps there.
    Also feral cat around I don't bother might help my situation.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honda's are having issues with rodents eating wires in cars. I would imagine that the problem is the same with a lot of Japanese vehicles. The common problem is that the wires are coated with a plastic made from soybeans, and the little buggers love it.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,375 ******
    edited November -1
    Since I started feeding the wild birds last winter I have had a plethora of chip monks (stripped ground squirrels) running around my place and eating everything in sight. I want to shoot them but my wife thinks their cute!!

I don't want to wait for trouble from them if I slack off on the bird feeding. I may have to go stealth and get out the old pellet rifle.[}:)]
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have two neutered barn cats a male and a female, no problems with mice, squirrels, or snakes.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe spread a few "sacrificial" wires around the car? Maybe dip wire in "mouse musk" before spreading?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have between 5 and 40 cats here at the homestead and no sign of mice.
    At the north farm, there's a semi-wild cat that seems to be doing a bang up job of controlling mice in the machine shed.
    Any enclosed cab equipment left at the north farm has a box of "Cab Fresh" in the cab plus a bar of rodenticide.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by varian
    i have two neutered barn cats a male and a female, no problems with mice, squirrels, or snakes.

I have 4 outside neutered/spayed cats.

Only way I have found to keep the mice/rats/squirrels out of stuff including vec's. (and I have tried them all)
    I have to keep them treated against fleas and ticks which is costly, but not as expensive as the destruction mice causes.

Also review Hanta Virus and you will have a greater respect for cats controlling rats and mice.

I've heard rumors that some vec's are being equipped with wiring insulation now days or near future that repels rodents, or rodents don't like the taste, but they most likely will still chew on vacuum lines and get into the interior or in the fan motor cage and have babies. (now that is depressing when they die and you need the heat or air from the fan and get the smell from dead rodents in the duct system of a nice auto and you repair things yourself) Not a fun job.[:(!]
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Mice or Squirrel's

Replace every 3-4 months. Since its your wife's car she will love the smell. No fooling girls love the smell.

No problem in cars but have used these in the camper when stored during the winter months.

NEVER had a mouse issue with it.

[8D][^]

That chit is a joke. The rats and squirrels ate the deterrent. I have pictures and sent them to that company for a refund.

Use poison or traps with oatmeal on it.

One thing I heard was a strobe type intermittent light. Not a fast strobe, but enough to * em.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    Honda's are having issues with rodents eating wires in cars. I would imagine that the problem is the same with a lot of Japanese vehicles. The common problem is that the wires are coated with a plastic made from soybeans, and the little buggers love it.

There is actually a class action lawsuit against Toyota in California for using soybean based wire coatings enticing mice to eat the wires. I have the same problem with mice...I have the packets of mint under the hood along with glue traps in my F150. I frequently find dead mice after start up that get chopped up my the motor. They build nests in the air filter box too.

My police car is parked outside and I find acorns and corn under the hood on a regular basis. It is definitely an issue living in the country.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did have mice eat the wiring on one car several years ago. I also had them stealing dog food. They even stored it in the air filter of my wife's car.
    I put out traps around the garage & also poison on top of the engine blocks. The poison turned out to be a bad idea. One took it back to her nest & she & her babies died inside the wall. Terrible stink & nasty job to get to them.
    Since the dog died I haven't seen any more signs of them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Know I need another cat. My old mice killer is no longer with us and the one I have now could not catch a mouse if it jumped in her mouth.
  • Options
    pricklypearpricklypear Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was out of state for about a month and left my truck in the garage. When I came back I had to make a trip into Reno. Got about 75 miles up the road and stopped at a store and when I came out the truck wouldn't start, no problem, called Triple A and got a jump start. My battery was 5 years old so I drove over to the LES SHWAB'S and got a new battery. Before I got out of the city on my way back the truck died in an intersection. Had it towed to the shop and they discovered the insulation on the wires had been chewed.

Now I have built a three sided box,sort of a bridge with open ends, I place it over a board that I screwed one of those green rat poison blocks to and leave it in the driveway. I park my truck with the engine compartment over it. They ate the first block so I replaced that and in the last few days the second block has only been lightly nibbled. I plan to keep doing it from now on.
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A squirrel ate the wires off of my transmision shift solenoid. Cost me $600.00 to fix.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Due to the mice problem in my truck I researched the problem and recently a woman with a brand new Mustang had $5000 in damages from mice. She had to replace the main wiring harness. [V]
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mag00
    Mice or Squirrel's

No problem in cars but have used these in the camper when stored during the winter months.

[8D][^]

That chit is a joke. The rats and squirrels ate the deterrent. I have pictures and sent them to that company for a refund.

One thing I heard was a strobe type intermittent light. Not a fast strobe, but enough to * em.

That strobe might work. I've left the hood up on vec's parked under a car port, because the rodents like to get in under a hood for a darkened place while doing their chewing on wires.

Rodent poison bait under a vec hood just seems to attract them and they like the wiring insulation first and don't bother the poison bait.

Also should not use any rodent poison if you have a cat or dog around.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pepermint oil kept them out of our camper.
    Yes the camper smells like a candy store.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    Mice or Squirrel's

[8D][^]

That strobe might work. I've left the hood up on vec's parked under a car port, because the rodents like to get in under a hood for a darkened place while doing their chewing on wires.

Rodent poison bait under a vec hood just seems to attract them and they like the wiring insulation first and don't bother the poison bait.

I took a quick look for one and found this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Rid-a-rat-Rat-Deterrent-Model-RC-2B/dp/B00D2ZOY70

The reviews are promising, a bit pricey though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    Mice or Squirrel's

[8D][^]

I took a quick look for one and found this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Rid-a-rat-Rat-Deterrent-Model-RC-2B/dp/B00D2ZOY70

The reviews are promising, a bit pricey though.

Well I will just give these a try. I did say that other stuff is just good inside of the car. I could use one of these for the truck under hood and one near the Harley. I did see one that hooks to the battery but only found it once. If these work I would like one of those for the truck since I keep a battery Maintainer on it.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,375 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjrfd99
    Pepermint oil kept them out of our camper.
    Yes the camper smells like a candy store.

Sure beats the smell of moth balls![:D]
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Building nests in air filters sucks too
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tflogger
    Building nests in air filters sucks too

They did that in my truck.[xx(]
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Moth balls in a sock hanging under the hood will work. Us the real moth balls not the scented ones.