In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remember the Ford Maverick?

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,859 ***** Forums Admin
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Looky here what I bought yesterday![:p] '76 vintage

Maverick.jpg

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,020 ******
    edited November -1
    SUWEEET! I haven't seen one of them for years. Looks like it's in good shape.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 70 with sraight 6 was going to put 302 in it when the 6 blew up trouble is that 6 kept goingi got over 300,000 out of that car sold it to a neighbor and he drove it for another 5 years back and forth to work
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my fav was the gremlin, had one with a 6 banger that was hell on wheels, had a vega, corvair but never a maverick, not by choice or anything just never found a deal on one

did have a 65 chevy van with a 350 in it, darn thing would do wheelies all day long with that rear/mid mounted engine
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first car was a 1970 Mavrick.
    200 ci. 6 banger, 3 speed on the floor
    starting off in some lose sand, and on
    a corner you could actulay squeek the tires
    just a little.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,859 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    We had a Gremlin we stuffed a Ford 351 into and raced on a dirt track here for several seasons.
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats freakin awesome. i havent seen them since i was little (born in '76, lol).
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Had a '70 model, 2 door. Straight 6, mag wheels, custom paint and racing stripes! It was my economy college car.

Neat car.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...When we got married in 1977, Cathy had a 70 or 71 Maverick. It was banana yellow, straight six with a THREE ON THE TREE! Wish we had kept it. It was a great car, that got super good mileage.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    My Dad owned a 73 model.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    but...but...but...it's a Ford!
  • flyingcolumnflyingcolumn Member Posts: 374 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah,looks O.K. I-6 and manual?
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,859 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    Of course!!![:p][:p][:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    Of course!!![:p][:p][:p]

[:D][;)]
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I had one I put over 200,000 miles on. 250 cuin. straight 6.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    Grabber 390 anyone?[}:)]
  • speedbuggy16vspeedbuggy16v Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh ohohoohohohoh...............grabber.....
    the coolest maverick EVER
    speedbuggy16v
    traction? whats traction?
  • speedbuggy16vspeedbuggy16v Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    though if IRCC they had a 302
    speedbuggy16v
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a '72 with 302 auto. Put glass packs on it. I actually beat a Gran Torino with a 351 Cleveland in 1/4 mile once. I think it was the other guy's lack of skill rather than that my car was faster.

I sold it when I enlisted, the guy that bought it put a 351 in it.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by speedbuggy16v
    though if IRCC they had a 302
    speedbuggy16v
    you may be right but I could have sworn I have seen one with a 390 in it. Maybe it was swapped, or I am wrong lol
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice giveaway! I'm DEFINITELY in for this one!
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The tenant before me at a house I rented left one behind. It was full of trash, didn't run, was basically rotted out.

Me and a bunch of my buddies were bored out of our minds one night.

We towed it out to the boonies and burned it to the ground.

That started a great tradition of car burnings. We've done 6 or 7 since then.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    The tenant before me at a house I rented left one behind. It was full of trash, didn't run, was basically rotted out.

Ever think about hiding one of your dead bodies in there?
  • firechieffirechief Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 1st car was a 70 maverick with a 3 spd on the column. My grandpa taught me how to fibrglass and together we had the car body looking good and ready to paint. I went for a cruise with a friend of mine before a football game and ended up taking out about a hundred foot of fence and totaled the car.
    edited November -1
    my bro bought one new in '73, 302 with a 3 spd on the floor, how he didn't kill himself or one of us in that car is beyond me.

Fast little car.
  • frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice find you have there,can't be to many of them left.
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking ride! There's a lime green one that runs around here
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think you know what it actually is? A little history on the Maverick

http://www.fordmaverick.com/articles/76Stallion.htm
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,061 ******
    edited November -1
    I had a 1970, bought in early 1971 with under 10,000 miles, and it was a peach of a car. 200 CI 6 cylinder, 3-on-the-column shift, no A/C, AM radio. Strangest feature was the lack of a glove box; there was only a narrow tray beneath the dash.

Mine was red. Previous owner had blacked out the back panel around the tail lights. I added over-sized Goodyear tires and chrome reverse wheels. Also added an 8-track tape player. I thought it was a sharp little car.

I drove the fool out of it and it always ran and held together. I wish I still had it.
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, it has a 250 6 cylinder engine and a C4 trans. The kid is 13 and thinks she wants this for her first car in a couple years.

Slect, thanks for the link an the Stallion. We just figured out yesterday what it was. The kid was looking on the internet and found out that it was a Stallion. I knew that horse decal was factory, but that's all I knew. I'll study that link you posted.

It's in pretty cood shape for spending it's life in this rusty, rainy country.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    For the first couple of years you couldn't get a V-8 in the Mav, or its' Mercury equivalent. Put the Merc dual scoop hood on it.

I swapped a Gale Banks built 289/4 speed into my '70, stuck in a 4:57 Equa-Lok 9" and went racing !!

I used to drive it from my house in Duarte to Irwindale Drag Strip, with open headers and wrinkle walls - Oh yeah - never did have plates for it.

It ran consistent 12.2s.

I'd like to have it again.

Doug
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer

Ever think about hiding one of your dead bodies in there?

At first, but then we realized that there were way too many people involved in the burnings for someone to not think to look there.