In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How Will They Do It?

sst531sst531 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in General Discussion
I fully expect the government to come up with some plan to let the insurance industry off the hook for the billions of dollars it will take to begin rebuilding the devastation suffered by the folks in LA, MS and elsewhere due to the huricane.
I don't know how or how long it will take to do it, but I know that you and I, not the insurance companies, are going to foot the bill for this disaster.

Comments

• Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    What? No more Mardis Gras????????????????????????????????

Alpaca lips now!!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

What? No more Mardis Gras????????????????????????????????

Alpaca lips now!!

Don't worry. . .there will still be a Mardis Gras.

Its just not going to be quite as happy as usual.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Re: costs from hurricane damage. Here in Florida, the insurance companies pulled out and forced the State to pick up the insurance. My homeowners insuracne went from $560 a year in 2003 to $1,200 in 2004, and to $2,600 this year. They are now talking about another 15% increase for 2006. [:(]

Volenti non fit injuria
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Re: costs from hurricane damage. Here in Florida, the insurance companies pulled out and forced the State to pick up the insurance. My homeowners insuracne went from $560 a year in 2003 to $1,200 in 2004, and to $2,600 this year. They are now talking about another 15% increase for 2006

Poor Hairy. He moves to a disaster prone area that has had numerous disasters in recent years and complains when the costs of insuring against those same disasters goes up. Let's all start a fund for him to help him defray the costs of his own freely made decisions so he can work less and post on GB more.

For the record, I'm pretty much a libertarian on issues like this. Let the people who take the risks of living there bear the costs and consequences of their actions. This goes for insurance companies too. Don't want to go bankrupt? Raise premiums or don't insure disaster prone areas. I don't believe the federal government (as opposed to the state govt.) has any business funding the reconstruction of natural-disaster ravaged areas. Emergency rescues, maintaining a semblance of order, aiding in evacuations, and similar actions are acceptable but I draw the line at redistributing my income to aid others who were well aware of the risks of living in a certain area and who failed to take the necessary precautions. This may sound cold-hearted but I think those tax dollars would be better spent on private charities (which I donate to by the by) who can better decide the most effective use of them. This isn't a "screw 'em" post. I wish the residents and survivors a speedy recovery and will mourn the dead as well. They're Americans, after all, but I believe the more we let people and companies escape the consequences of their actions the more harm, rather than good, we do.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."