In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee customer service

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
So I called Lee reloading the other day because I needed some very specific stuff: certain dies but not complete die sets. More specifically, I needed a full length resizer for 7.5X55 Swiss, a collet neck sizer for 6.5X55 Swede and a collet neck sizer for .30-06. I already have full length resizers for 6.5 and .30-06 and a neck sizer for 7.5. I also have seating dies for all 3 since I bought sets with the seating die in it. But, I wanted a complete set with neck sizer, full length sizer and seater for all 3 just to have a comprehensive reloading ability for all 3 cartridges.

I told the lady all this multiple times in as specific a way as I could so that I could get EXACTLY what I needed. She looked up the prices, gave me a total and sent them out. The total was $49.00 with shipping.

I get the package yesterday. First and foremost, the invoice lists a total of $62.00, not $49.00 and the stuff was all wrong. It seems they sent me seating die parts for the .30-06, not a neck resizer or components. The die body they sent for the 7.5 won't work with the expander/decapper clamp and they didn't send the 6.5 die at all (I understand this is due to increased demand, so that's not a big deal.)

Needless to say, they are going to get a piece of my mind tomorrow.

I like Lee products, but do you think it's too much to ask that they have competent help that can handle small "specialty" orders?

Comments

• calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    So I called Lee reloading the other day because I needed some very specific stuff: certain dies but not complete die sets. More specifically, I needed a full length resizer for 7.5X55 Swiss, a collet neck sizer for 6.5X55 Swede and a collet neck sizer for .30-06. I already have full length resizers for 6.5 and .30-06 and a neck sizer for 7.5. I also have seating dies for all 3 since I bought sets with the seating die in it. But, I wanted a complete set with neck sizer, full length sizer and seater for all 3 just to have a comprehensive reloading ability for all 3 cartridges.

I told the lady all this multiple times in as specific a way as I could so that I could get EXACTLY what I needed. She looked up the prices, gave me a total and sent them out. The total was $49.00 with shipping.

I get the package yesterday. First and foremost, the invoice lists a total of $62.00, not $49.00 and the stuff was all wrong. It seems they sent me seating die parts for the .30-06, not a neck resizer or components. The die body they sent for the 7.5 won't work with the expander/decapper clamp and they didn't send the 6.5 die at all (I understand this is due to increased demand, so that's not a big deal.)

Needless to say, they are going to get a piece of my mind tomorrow.

I like Lee products, but do you think it's too much to ask that they have competent help that can handle small "specialty" orders?

Don't share what you don't have extra of! It happens. A new guy may be filling orders and doesn't understand. I highly doubt that the woman that you spoke to is the same one that pulled the order.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't had any experience with orders such as you describe but I've placed numerous orders online and by phone w/o any complaint. I've also sent several dies and parts back for warranty and have been satisfied each time. Sometimes stuff happens. If you tell them the items received were not the ones ordered, they'll probably pay the return/reship.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    they have done me right and even made me things[^]
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know they stand by their guarantee (had the toggle links on my press break and they replaced them no prob) and their products are top notch and by far the best value out there, I just wish I could get what I want (direct from the manufacturer) and not have these problems and the issue of being told one price and find out its another.
  • Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    LEE has top notch customer service. Something sure went wrong here and I will not guess at it. Give them a call and I am sure they will correct the problem. If I remember the womens name correct it is Donna? ask for her and she will get it strait for you. I have had problems with some of my orders as well in the past, and they have gone out of there way to correct it and satisfy me. Give them a chance first to correct it and if they still do not then turn lose the complaints on them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Duce1
    LEE has top notch customer service. Something sure went wrong here and I will not guess at it. Give them a call and I am sure they will correct the problem. If I remember the womens name correct it is Donna? ask for her and she will get it strait for you. I have had problems with some of my orders as well in the past, and they have gone out of there way to correct it and satisfy me. Give them a chance first to correct it and if they still do not then turn lose the complaints on them.

I'll call Donna tomorrow.

They've really worked with me in the past (had issues when I was just starting out) so I'm willing to give them another chance. I'll always buy Lee products whenever possible, I just may have to stick to getting sets or products from a distributor like Midway that know what the hell they're doing or break brand loyalty to get the special product that Lee can't competently provide.
  • Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    nemesisenforcer do what you have to to be satisfied with your purchase. It is your money after all and you should be happy with what you spend it on.
    I like LEE products as well and buy a lot of there reloading dies but I am not held to brand loyalty I go with what I can use and afford at the time. I can say that they have done me well when I have had a problem with a order in the past. LEE must have some dumb butts in the packing area to mess up orders but they in my mind can not be beat with what they offer. I like them but will not defend them when they do wrong, I will just pass on my experience with them and how they handled me personally.
    edited November -1
    They screwed up again.

Here's a letter I'm sending them ASAP:

June 1, 2009

Lee Precision
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027

RE: ORDER NO. XXXXXX

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is in response to the above reference invoice number. This letter represents the SECOND time I have had to correct my order with your company regarding products I have ordered from you.

For the record, here, in print, is exactly what I need: a collet neck sizing die for .30-06, a collet neck sizing die for 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser, and a FULL LENGTH resizing die for 7.5X55 Swiss. The first order I received was abysmally incorrect. It consisted of seating dies and components for the .30-06 and 6.5X55 Swede, an expander/decapper pin for the 7.5, and a seating die body for 7.5, with the necessary accessories such as O-rings and lock rings for all. The expander/decapper pin would not fit in the die. The die was wrong, obviously. I called your customer service, and thought I found a more knowledgeable representative to handle my order. She assured me it would be corrected, instructed me to keep one (1) Or-ring, one (1) lock ring, the expander/decapper pin, and the retaining screw that affixes the expander/decapper to the die body. I shipped everything else back (having to pay for shipping back to your company, though I was assured by your representative that I would not be charged for shipping for the new, corrected merchandise.)

I received the supposedly corrected order today. While MOST of the order was made right (I believe you sent the collet neck sizers for the .30-06 and 6.5X55 Swede, though I haven't tested them yet to confirm it,) the 7.5 "die body conundrum" persists. As far as I can tell, it is exactly the same as the previous die body you sent me in error. The retaining screw that affixes the expander/decapper to the die body still will not fit. The orifice in the die body is too large; it appears to still be a seating die body or a collet neck sizing body rather than a FULL LENGTH resizing body as I specifically asked for numerous times with two (2) different representatives of you company.

So then, if we follow the procedure from the first time I corrected your error, you will want me to send back the incorrect merchandise at my expense while agreeing not to charge me for shipping on the new, and hopefully correct, product. This will be the third time I will have had to pay for shipping for ONE (1) order: once for the original, hopelessly wrong order, secondly for the return shipping on the first incorrect order, and presumably now on the SECOND incorrect order. While I appreciate you not charging me for shipping on the second order, I don't feel it fair to have to pay for shipping to or from you more than once for my original order that your company screwed up (the fact that I've done it twice is besides the point and shows my willingness to go along to resolve this problem; doing it a third time is simply unconscionable.)

I have been a loyal Lee customer since I started reloading and use almost exclusively Lee products. I am very satisfied with the quality of your merchandise on the whole, but your ability to serve a customer's needs when they order direct from you is certainly lacking based on this experience.

I await your reply so that this issue can FINALLY be resolved.

Sincerely,

nemesisenforcer (real name redacted to protect the guilty.)