In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

hemlock

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in General Discussion
I think we should permit persons accused of capital crimes the option of voluntary overdose, a cup of hemlock, if you will. Some would use this option and save us $ and a lot of hassle.

marinesega2.jpg
Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Too easy,, I for one am for stringing em up like they did 50 yrs ago, put the rope around the neck and then hoist em up, no drop to break the neck, just slow squeezing from the rope, dancing a jig as the life is squeezed out of em, sometimes can take up to 10 or 15 minutes.[}:)][}:)][}:)]

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Having them drink Hemlock (much like Socrates did) is almost an honorable way to go. These criminals don't deserve such an easy honorable? way out. String em up!

Patrick Buzzard
    Michigan National Guard
    19K-- tanker
    "Strike Hard!!"
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they shoud put it out much like the lottery. Sell tickets for the right to pull the trigger or spring the trap or such. I believe you would recieve a big winfall of money that could go to the victims and the scmbag would get his just ends. Just my opinion. Don

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    Classic095 is correct.... STRING EM UP! Hemlock is too easy. I want them to suffer. Maybe then criminals will think twice before they commit a crime!
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:STRING EM UP! Hemlock is too easy. I want them to suffer. Maybe then criminals will think twice before they commit a crime!

Even when there is over whelming evidence of guilt captial trials and prison space costs money we could be spending other places. Which is more important, revenge or being done with a given criminal once and for all?

marinesega2.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    No matter how it is done, we need to get to the root of why it needs to be done. First of all why as a society do we say that a child molester can be cured, is cured and then put back out on the strets to preyn again on our kids? Second why do we sentence someone to death and keep the appeal process open for 10 to 20 years and still when all appeals are exahsted, we do not excute them? Third why do we not educate our kids and our selves more as to predators within our communities than predators that committ terrorism to our nation?
    As to the first question, lump it into the second question and when found guilty let them face swift just justice. As to the third question, we need to be as concerned or even more concerned with what is going on in our own back yard than what could be going on with other nations.

When I was in China there was a man who had no hands begging for money. I went to give him some but my interruptor told me not to! I asked why and she told me that being both hands were cut off and by a brand he had near the stumps of both arms, the man was a person who had committed a horrible crime. She would not or could not explain what the crime was so I did not press the issue! That incident sparked a conversation as to what China does to their criminals. She and her boyfriend (who was a captain in the Peoples Army) told me that most terrible crimes were punished by death. They would shoot the criminal in the back of the head. There is a short appeal process and as they told me some have been released on appeal but it was rare. I did notice that crime was low in Beijing and I reckon the swift justice was a deterrent? While I was there I was able to see a exhibit that most outsiders never get to see. It was about the drug trade and it showed graphicly what they did to people who dealt with drugs in any way. It was an eye opener!

I for one am in favor of swift public executions!

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
    edited November -1
    Amen.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Chinese also charge the family for the bullet.

However, regardless of the method ... just get it done. This endless appeals process that costs millions of taxpayer dollars just isn't the way to go.

Have innocent people been executed ... yes I am sure they have, but is the percentage of innocent lives lost anywhere near the percentage that manage to avoid their sentence?

Now the next questions you might ask ... would I feel that way if it were me and I were the innocent person, well you can bet I wouldn't like it, but if the system were changed I wouldn't have a lot of time to onager about it either, would I?

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't understand why the condemned cannot be organ donors, but they can't. Seems a terrible waste to put the organs of a young healthy man in the ground.

Seems real simple to me. Do the job in a sterile OR. Take him down, remove the organs, leave him down, unplug. Simple, painless, and of inestimable benefit.

It might make the condemned feel that they are doing something as their last act to partially atone for their sins.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I think organ donation is the LEAST that should be doen to repay their DEBT to society for the crimes they committed.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • ace22ace22 Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prisoners can't donate organs???? WHY NOT? How about forgetting the "donation" B S and just harvest them.The commercial could be "Here's your organs" Actor standing there. "Here's your organs in prison" Actor trussed up and being field dressed by his victims family.Now there's a deterent to crime.

I'm not a hippy!I'm a well groomed mountain man
  • bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to say it but for once I think the french might have had the right idea in the olden days. With the guillotine..the organs would be undamaged and ripe for harvest! I think it would be a great deterrent to capitol crimes.
    edited November -1
    The death penalty would be a great deterent to crime if it was carried out with any consistintcy(sp). When you spend 20 plus years on death row you are ready for your maker. Just my opinon. Don

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I just re-read the original post, and must retract my statement,it says accused,not convicted, so we cant do anything until we convict the guilty SOB then string em up[}:)][}:)][:o)]

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well instead of a drink, make it Hemlock Splinters under the fingernail. Long slow death from infection.

That stuff is bad, worked in a Mill that Proccessed raw timber to Boards. Get a splinter on day next Morning it was infected.
    edited November -1
    So far as I know this isn't done in any state that has capital punishment, but it ought to be:

Give the condemned a thorough medical examination. Make sure his organs are in good condition and that he has no communicable diseases. When it is time for him to die, put him to sleep with an anesthetic that won't harm any organs. While he is asleep, or actually dead, if general anesthesia is used, harvest any useable organs. Then leave him asleep.

I don't really care if this is done with the condemned prisoner's consent.

Seems to me that if a feller had any remorse about his crimes, this would be a way for him to feel as though he had partially atoned for them.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Seems to me that if a feller had any remorse about his crimes, this would be a way for him to feel as though he had partially atoned for them.Why not drain some of their blood every month or so? That fills a need.

And then, when execution time comes, drain it all out and harvest the organs. [;)]
  • davealddaveald Member Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think to make capital punishment a real deterrant, the law should read like a bible quote.
    As thee kill, so shall ye be killed.
    The idea of killing these people and causing no pain is no deterrant, most of these guys have no real care if they live or die, there only thoughts are to cause as much aggrivation to the familys of there victims as possible, for as long as possible. If we take there life in the same manner that they used, then maybe we would have fewer horrific murders.
    I'd be willing to bet that there would be no shortage of people willing to carry out the appropiate punishments.
    I guess that means, that I litterly believe in an eye for an eye.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Too easy,, I for one am for stringing em up like they did 50 yrs ago, put the rope around the neck and then hoist em up, no drop to break the neck, just slow squeezing from the rope, dancing a jig as the life is squeezed out of em, sometimes can take up to 10 or 15 minutes.[}:)][}:)][}:)]

And when folks stood on the ground and watched it happen, it put a pretty strong deterant in their minds of committing capital crimes.[;)]
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I am with the Organ Donor Program folks, with a small difference: Let them live for as long as they are viable with parts missing - take their corneas, a few lobes of their Liver(s), a Lung, a Kidney, or whatever.

Allow them to volunteer for Cosmetics research, vaccine incubators, medical studies, Insulin production, Bone and Skin Graft Donors, whatever is useful.

Then make fertilizer or fuel out of what is left. Feed the ones awaiting death with the food grown from the fertilizer.

HIV/Aids inmates and those who are not candidated for donation go directly to Fuel Production program, running and maintaining it until they die, then they become fuel.

Hmmm - maybe Soylent Green wasn't such a bad idea - make Soylent Green, and ship it out to those countries that need "Foreign Aid"!
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Seems real simple to me. Do the job in a sterile OR. Take him down, remove the organs, leave him down, unplug. Simple, painless, and of inestimable benefit.

What about the un-exorcised deamons inside those organs?
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    make them carry a boom box playing christian music walking the streets of baghdad.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    quote:What about the un-exorcised deamons inside those organs?

You're kidding, right?
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    maybe, just a little...