In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Challenge Coins

WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Anyone collect them? I know they are big in the military. I've got a couple from some police organizations. Just wondering who collects them.

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have quite a few and also had some made for the Marine Corps birthday.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    by challenge coins do you mean coins given by generals and such?
    I have a few from active duty, like a chief of staff coin, hospital commander's coin, cobra gold from thailand....
    are they challenge coins?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    I have a few from active duty, like a chief of staff coin, hospital commander's coin, cobra gold from thailand....

The tradition of the coin giving dates back to Vietnam actually when soldiers would tote along a piece of "lucky" ordnance that had helped them or narrowly missed them. At first it was small arms ammunition, but this practice grew to much bigger and more dangerous ordnance as time wound on. It became then actually a dangerous practice because of the size and power of the ordnance being carried, so commanders banned it, and instead gave away metal coins emblazoned with the unit crest or something similar. The main purpose of the ordnance had been when going into a bar, you had to have your lucky piece or you had to buy drinks for all who did have it. The coins worked far better in this regard as they were smaller and not as lethal! So, if you go to a military bar, whip out a challenge coin and slam it down on the bar, those who lack one buy drinks! Obviously you have to be careful about this tradition...if everyone has theirs, YOU have to buy the round! However, Commanders and units give out coins for this and as mementos for services rendered or special occasions.

This tradition spread to other military units in all branches of service and even to non military organizations. Today, challenge coins are given to members upon joining an organization, as an award to improve morale, and sold to commemorate special occasions or as fundraisers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    thanks spider!
    at ft belvior (virginia) it mattered what the "rank" of the coin was. if your coin outranked the other guy, he bought the drinks!
    I didn't know they were called "challenge" coins.[:I]
    also didn't know about carrying ordinance around. sounds like fun![;)]
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin
    edited November -1
    This is the challenge coin I had made for the 227th USMC birthday at Arlington Ridge (The Marine Memorial).

2002AnnivCoin.jpg
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple. Some from units I've been in (Combat Assault Battalion and 2d Combat Engineer Battalion) some from places (DMZ, Korea) some from Birthday Balls, some from other units (a friend gave me one from his company, Ammo Company 2dMarDiv), and some from impotent (did I spell that right?) people (The commander of Indiana National Guard-Major General Umbarger; and the commander of West Point).
    I don't really collect them; they just keep showing up.
  • BufflerBuffler Member Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anyone have one for the 12th.SPECIAL FORCES?? Lost mine...
    BE SAFE!! Buffler
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buffler- as much as I (gag) hate to say it, check Flea-bay.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Buffler- as much as I (gag) hate to say it, check Flea-bay.

Yep, there are a bunch of them on there.

73_1_b.JPG
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Gosh, I thought that challenge coins went back at least as far as WWII, maybe WWI...

Google "ChallengeCoinUSA.com"