In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hillsdale College

elkdroppingelkdropping Member Posts: 728 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
My son will be attending Hillsdale College in Michigan this fall. So far I am very impressed with what I have seen. Anyone have any experience with Hillsdale?

Comments

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My niece attended Hillsdale College 10 or so years ago, and she seemed to enjoy the experience. It is one of the few non-military colleges left that require all students to study the US Constitution, no matter what their major.

We have friends that live near the campus, and they have never complained about any college related problems. I haven't been on the campus since the traveling gun shows removed Hillsdale from the schedule, so I have no idea what the condition of the campus or dorms would look like. I can tell you everything in Hillsdale is old.

The county is a very conservative area (they actually allow carry guns in the courthouse) comprised mainly of farming, and very limited industry. There is a Walmart located approx 2 miles North of town, with several strip malls in the surrounding area.

Don't be fooled by the small town atmosphere though. As the large factories closed, many of the working class were forced to move, and the dregs of society have filled some small pockets of the South central neighborhoods.

I live in the Northeast corner of the county, and will be glad to help with any other questions.

Do you have plans to visit the campus?
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friend of Mine's son is heading there in a few week. Trap Scholarship. He's also on the Jr. Olympic team. We donated some money to help build their new range a few years ago. Nice place.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a kid that goes there. Good kid. Pretty smart. Seems like a very good place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Trap scholarship? That is awesome! I didn't realize that one could get a scholarship for shooting sports. That makes me feel even better about his selection of schools.

My son is attending on a football scholarship and can't wait to go. He reports for practice the 15th. of August. One of the tag lines is SMARTGUYFOOTBALL. I understand it is a rigorous academic school.

I've been to the campus 3 times now and have been very impressed with the people and facilities.

Thank you for the replies.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elkdropping
    Trap scholarship? That is awesome! I didn't realize that one could get a scholarship for shooting sports. That makes me feel even better about his selection of schools.

My son is attending on a football scholarship and can't wait to go. He reports for practice the 15th. of August. One of the tag lines is SMARTGUYFOOTBALL. I understand it is a rigorous academic school.

I've been to the campus 3 times now and have been very impressed with the people and facilities.

Thank you for the replies.

There are a few schools with good programs. Hillsdale is one of the best. I know the head coach at Lindenwood in St. Louis, he's a former Olympian and Army Shooting team member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will send him with a shotgun, maybe he can take advantage of the facilities.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't attend Hillsdale but contribute. Seems like a worthwhile school. They send me a monthly pamphlet usually containing a recent speech by a variety of well known conservatives. They'll send it to anyone who signs up, no need to donate. Always an interesting read.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    "Imprimis" is a Great paper! I really Enjoy the Printed Speeches they feature. Absolutely Tip-Top Lecturers/Speakers.

Hillsdale is a Conservative College. I have taken some of their Courses On-Line, and have participated in some On-Line Conferences. Seems to have a Great Scholarship Attitude there.

Just Not Much Technical Courses. I am a Technical sort. Daughter is same. Did Not consider it for Myself, nor for My Daughter.

Have never been there.

Congrats to all who are There, or have Graduated from There. I am sure that Government and Business Treasure those who have attended.