In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

my wife's feet are wet

mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
03 F150 regular cab, and whenever it rains the carpet in the passenger footwell gets soaking wet. It does not seem to be coming from the windshield or dash as the top of the footwell (think of where her toes would be if she had really long legs) is dry. The very bottom of the footwell, the horizontal surface, gets soaking wet.

I had it at the dealership 2 years ago over this and they said it was the 3rd brake light, that they put in a new one and sealed the heck out of it and all was good. Well we're back to leaking again.

Driver's side is bone dry and the carpet behind the seat (beneath the rear window) is bone dry. Just the passenger footwell.

Has anybody had this problem, and if so, what worked to fix it?

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Rotted-out floor board.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This sounds silly but do you have the air conditioning on?
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If not the A/C, hows about the Windshield Defroster?
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    This sounds silly but do you have the air conditioning on?

Not silly at all. That used to happen with my Suburban.

Jon
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-d955_ds623070

"Most water leaking into the passenger compartment comes from two broad categories. Environmental water (rain) may leak in through flawed sealing systems, and the more common source of leakage, from the heating and air-conditioning system. Water on the right front floorboard, under the passenger's feet, often comes from the HVAC system. Diagnosis begins with determining the nature of the liquid. A sticky feeling spot, especially if warm to the touch, may suggest engine coolant leaking. A low coolant reservoir sometimes confirms this. Other symptoms may include a sticky film inside the windshield and a sweet odor, like antifreeze in the car. The most likely cause is a leaking heater core. Fresh water on the floor, with no odor or loss of coolant is more often humidity removed by the evaporator. Water from humidity, removed by the air conditioner, is normally drained from the evaporator case. Water seen dripping under the vehicle is from humidity removed by the air conditioner. When the system gets clogged/blocked or constricted/kinked, the condensation water may drip on the carpet and cause problems. A lack of water dripping under the car while the A/C is running could mean debris has plug the evaporator drain then water backs up and overflows into the passenger compartment. Cleaning the drip tube with compressed air will often restore the drainage. After saying all that, IF the floor is only wet after a rain then it is an environmental water leak somewhere around the windshield, roof line, firewall, or door seals. You will have to look for signs - water stains, corrosion, or you can try a non-staining water dye* to locate the leak. * http://www.poolcenter.com/p/party-pool-swimming-pool-color-dye Good luck and I hope someone posts a specific (known) fix to your problem, other than using a whole lot of silicon-sealant... "
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sunroof ?

they have a channel that runs down the floor board

the ac also has a hose that gets clogged, and condensation drip there

being that old I would check for anti-freeze, if you smell it the heater core drips there
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you wearing your Depends?
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try rolling up the window
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First - dry off your wife! Then determine if it really has to do with the rain. As other have said, I've seen A/C drain or heater core problems do this. 3rd brake light with a dry carpet behind your seats sounds like your dealer need a little extra cash that week. Narrow things down and you will find the problem. Let us know what you find.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Drill a bigger hole let the water out.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,048 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln
    03 F150 regular cab, and whenever it rains the carpet in the passenger footwell gets soaking wet. It does not seem to be coming from the windshield or dash as the top of the footwell (think of where her toes would be if she had really long legs) is dry. The very bottom of the footwell, the horizontal surface, gets soaking wet.

I had it at the dealership 2 years ago over this and they said it was the 3rd brake light, that they put in a new one and sealed the heck out of it and all was good. Well we're back to leaking again.

Driver's side is bone dry and the carpet behind the seat (beneath the rear window) is bone dry. Just the passenger footwell.

Has anybody had this problem, and if so, what worked to fix it?
    I would start here,and re-seal.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gently lift the weatherstripping surrounding the passenger side of the rear window and check for signs of corrosion. Solid rear window or split?
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Heater drain tube plugged. At least my jeep does that.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No sunroof, passenger window fully up. The floor will be bone dry, the car will be outside and rained upon, and the floor will be wet. I run the AC all summer with no rain in the summer and the floor is dry in the summer. When I crawl under the truck the metal under the footwell looks solid without any rust.

It's rain and it's getting in. Rear window is solid. Leak through the 3rd brake light is sort of common, but they gooped up the hell out of it with silicone sealer and before you could feel the upholstery being wet behind the seats. Now it isn't anymore.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the weatherstripping around the door. They get tweaked and will let water run down onto the trench under the door will. Pull up the will cover and see if the trough has water. It fills up and wicks the water into the carpet.

Also check the cab seams under the dash/floorboards. My 2000 F150 started leaking from a seam on the floorboard under the e-brake pedal after being fine forv15 years. When I looked at the seam, you couldn't tell that it had ever been sealed. How it stayed dry all those years was a mystery.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no one has mentioned a tiny heater core leaK??
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might try placing some pieces of sponge or some other type of material (piece of old cotton t shirt) that will soak up water in different higher places so as to get a idea of the source.

Then take a water hose to the vehicle for awhile then check the tattle tale witness pieces of toilet paper, sponge, or cotton.

Will take little effort. I've had these issues with vec's and found most everything from A/C condensation leaks, heater cores, leaking door seals, front window seals, Also regular silicone is not permanent when used on glass or gloss painted metal as a sealant, takes a special windshield type sealant. The regular silicone sealant will not make a permanent bond to glass and gloss surfaces and is a waste of time and false hope on these type surfaces as a permanent waterproof sealant and at the very least get the woman some galoshes. (rubber boots)[;)]
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check under the cowl vent for leaf debris. The drain holes at the bottom of the cowl air box may be plugged forcing water to back up into the heater box and drip from the heat vent on that side.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    If her feet are wet take her to Cabelas and By Her Some new Boots
    Height Adjusted Accordingly
  • Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you absolutely sure it only gets wet when it rains?

Ford started putting aluminum heater cores in their trucks.

The aluminum corrodes pretty easily especially if the core is not properly grounded.

I bought a 1996 F150 used in 2002.

The original copper core started leaking, so I replaced it with the only type I could get at the time, aluminum.

Aluminum core gave out in less than two years.

Didn't know I needed to ground it, copper one didn't have a ground wire.

Kept the original copper core and had it repaired, grounded it just to be sure.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,007 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    [:D]
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heater core maybe.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you get her feet dried out yet or are you just leaving her home when it rains?
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,346 ******
    edited November -1
    Have her wear shoes.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,346 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    [:D]
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Had an Oldsmobile.with leak on passenger side floor....The fix had something to do with the Cabin Filter....The man fixed it in 5 minutes....
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    Check under the cowl vent for leaf debris. The drain holes at the bottom of the cowl air box may be plugged forcing water to back up into the heater box and drip from the heat vent on that side.

My 83 Toyota 4x4 does the same thing. I narrowed it down to leaking from the cowl but never thought about it being plugged up and forcing the water back up.

If thats the cause, I'm going to put the carpeting back in!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Asphalt Cowboy has it.