In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Indy 500

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
OK, correct me if I'm wrong guys, and I'm sure you will! Remember when Tony George started the IRL? He wanted more affordable cars with american drivers, chassis, & engines. Let's look at '08:

33 Honda engines
33 foreign chassis (I can't spell Deliria)
1 foreign winner

What used to be the greatest spectical in racing is a joke. Where are the 3-5 different chassis? Where are the Ford, Offy, Chevy, Turbine, & Novi engines? Where are guys like Mickey bringing something bizzar like 12" wheels? Where are guys like Andy?

What this guy has done to this event is appauling. Over the last 15 years old Tony must be getting dizzy from rolling over in his grave!
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    So here we have a young guy from California leading the Indy 500 and on the last turn crashes his car...last turn...and loses the lead to winner Dan Weldon. Lousy luck struck him hard.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think Rucker hit the sauce early today. Hope for a good & safe race. We in Indy get to watch it live on TV for the first time in 65 years!
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I've either been there, or watching it, since 1960.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm double taskin', watching the Indy 500 and postin'...
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend that I went to high school with his great great uncle, Pete Kreis, was killed during practice for the Indy 500 back in 1934. He is buried about 100 ft. from my Dad's grave in Knoxville, TN.

Kreis-article_zpsu8eeyddl.jpg

1927PeterKreis27355-8553_zpslk8wqtlz.jpg

AJKreis-monument_zpsofofzlxg.jpg

image17_zpsxc0lzovt.jpg

image18_zpswosexwry.jpg

image16_zpsiqfqtsp9.jpg
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    The clipping lists the "riding Mechanic" as "Bob Hahn" but,the bottom photo shows his name as "Aaron Vance"..Strange,huh?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    The clipping lists the "riding Mechanic" as "Bob Hahn" but,the bottom photo shows his name as "Aaron Vance"..Strange,huh?

There were different mechanic's over the years. He had several but Bob Hahn just happened to be the one riding that day that got killed along with Pete in 1934. Vance was the mechanic in 1932.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That was a dumb move that Bell's team mate made that took them both out on pit row. Bell was in the lead preceding that pit stop.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The most incredible moment in Indy history. I was watching this race in 1985 when Danny Sullivan spun 360 degrees making the pass for the lead and didn't wreck and kept on getting it. About 60 laps later he took the lead again and won the race. It became known as the "Spin and Win".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7tuBeLL0wg
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ROOKIE WINS INDY 500!

Alexander Rossi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How is Florence Henderson related to the Team, the effort, or the Race? She was right there in Victory lane!
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad
    How is Florence Henderson related to the Team, the effort, or the Race? She was right there in Victory lane!

She was this year's Grand Marshall. She sang the National Anthem4 or 5 times in the early 90s.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ah, thanks Dad's - I was napping after the early morning F1 race!

I missed the pre-race festivities...