In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

For Dummies books

NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I am going to be buying a new Digital SLR camera that is way out of my class right now but I would like to learn more. Normally I would turn toward the internet with questions and tips since I am sure I could find whatever I needed. Well since I will most likely be doing a lot of this learning while I am out on fires with no internet I am looking for a book.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a how to book on cameras. I would like to actually find out what all the cool settings on these things are and how to use them properly.

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Get with a community college and take a class on digital photo - either credit or via community ed.

We offer several of each here where I work...
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I thought about the CC but with my schedule it would be a waste of money as I could very seldom be there.

GRD, I know there the direct dummy books but not sure how good they are or if there is something better.

Thanks for the help so far.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    If you've never put much faith in what I've ever said before, trust me on this. Get down to Waldenbooks or Barnes & Noble and get/order The Digital Photography Book Vol. 1 & 2 by Scott Kelby. He writes like we all want to be talked to. He will tell you how to do whatever it is you want to do. I got a NIKON D-60 this year and if it had not been for those books I probably would have given up on it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    If you've never put much faith in what I've ever said before, trust me on this. Get down to Waldenbooks or Barnes & Noble and get/order The Digital Photography Book Vol. 1 & 2 by Scott Kelby. He writes like we all want to be talked to. He will tell you how to do whatever it is you want to do. I got a NIKON D-60 this year and if it had not been for those books I probably would have given up on it.

Wow when did I not listen to you? I will try harder [:)]

That is the kind of info I am looking for.

I decided on the D-90, Costco has them on sale with the 18-105 and the 70-300 lens and a couple other goodies.
    edited November -1
    What computer are you running? He's a big Mac fan and so am I, now. I now have PhotoShop CS4, LightRoom 2 and Color Efex Pro. Be very, very careful. These DSLR's are money vampires. You will want a good tripod, but you will swear you aren't going to spend that on a danged tripod. Trust me. Get a good one. I broke down and bought a Manfrotto 055XBPro and a Pistol Grip ball head. It took a lot for me to drop that for a tripod, but it's worth it. Especially if you plan on taking any decent pics.
    edited November -1
    Good choice on the D-90. I will have one as soon as I can. I like the motorized body. The live view doesn't really appeal to me. If you go to Waldenbooks or Barnes & Noble you can look at it before you buy it. I have Scott's books on the Mac OSX operating system and Photoshop. He's an easy read.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    What computer are you running? He's a big Mac fan and so am I, now. I now have PhotoShop CS4, LightRoom 2 and Color Efex Pro. Be very, very careful. These DSLR's are money vampires. You will want a good tripod, but you will swear you aren't going to spend that on a danged tripod. Trust me. Get a good one. I broke down and bought a Manfrotto 055XBPro and a Pistol Grip ball head. It took a lot for me to drop that for a tripod, but it's worth it. Especially if you plan on taking any decent pics.

I am running a MacBook Pro and with 10.57 right now. I will be updating to a new Pro this fall. I have been running Mac since 2000. Cameras a money hogs, I thought that was just guns [}:)] I have heard that no matter what hobby you choose it will be expensive.

I have a very elcheepo tripod now and got it cause it was light and cheep for taking on fires with me. Light = I have to pack it along with other gear, cheep = I can beat it to death and not feel bad. I am sure I will be dropping lots of money on goodies though.

I NEED a battery adapter to use AA for when I am on fires. Also need at least 4 SD cards for it since I have a system set up with our Fire Teams web guy to get pics back to him quick in supply runs.
    edited November -1
    Also, try this site. They are a little tough on a new guy, but they do have some good info.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1002
    edited November -1
    I got the Targus Battery grip that uses two NIKON battery packs and has a clip (magazine) for AA's when the NIKON's are charging. I found a RITZ going out of business and got two more Nikon batteries for $20 apiece. Go ahead and get a big camera backpack. At least a LowePro Trekker.
    edited November -1
    The PSN Platinum HDSC cards from Wally World are really good. Stay away from KODAK cards. Don't go bigger than 4 gig. Get a card wallet to attach to your strap and use it. A palm grip strap helps alot, too. Make sure you get a cheap UV filter to screw onall of your lenses and leave it on them. They really protect the lens and the threads. Never, NEVER take the LCD protector off the screen.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kim Kommando has a gazillion free tips on her website, and has also put out this book (among several others):
    http://store.komando.com/p-288-digital-photography-secrets-download-learn.aspx

She is America's Digital Goddess!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • saltydogfishsaltydogfish Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why are you asking people on a gun forum about cameras????? Sound familiar. I would think a Brownie is out of your class.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by saltydogfish
    Why are you asking people on a gun forum about cameras????? Sound familiar. I would think a Brownie is out of your class.

Wow I feel pretty special that someone would go out of their way for a personal attack. I have never ment that much to anyone before, thank you.

If you are around here long enough you will see that we have many talented and well rounded people with awsome advice.
    edited November -1
    What lens(es) do you have. I was looking at the kit from Costco that had the 18-105 and 70-300 but it sounds like this is a way better all around lens, http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

With my old SLR I had a roughly (cant remember) 20-60mm lens with the camera and a 100-300 zoom. I used the 100-300 a lot and that is one of the things I am really looking forward too. From what I read this camera has a focal length conversion of 1.5x so that would actually make the 200mm = to a 300 on my old 35mm camera.

I found out the Costco one is online only. I looked online at one of my favorite local electronics shop, where I first saw the D90, and the price is close. I am going to stop by when I get off work in the morning. I am thinking that a body and the 18-200 might be the best way to go and the price is pretty close to the same.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    U should get a book that tells all u need to know, with the cam!![^]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    U should get a book that tells all u need to know, with the cam!![^]

All the books that come with them tell you what the setting are and how to make them work. I need a book that explains why and how to choose the settings and what they actually mean.
    edited November -1
    Get the Scot Kelby books. I have the 18-55 and the 55-200. I bought the SIGMA 70-300 and I love it. I am in the market now for a SB-600 flash.