In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Update again

CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
WEll things got alot worse for me on tuesday. I ended up getting injured at MEPS during my screening in pittsburgh. I was hurt during an excersize known as the duck walk. I was fine until the very end when you are required to stand up from that position at the end when in doing so a very audible snap was heard from my back and I was down on the floor in agony (pretty much the entire floor heard it) I was sent to the hospital down the street for x-rays. upon returning the army doctor who was reviewing my x-rays spotted what appears to be fused vertibrae in my lower back just above my pelvis. He tried to say this was a prexisting condition (What a pile of crap) I was always able to change my own pants and wipe my own * every day before this. I am not to return to meps until both a chiropracter and a physical therapist signs that I am ok to return. So I have to ask is what are the chances of me being able to return and if they are going to be able to do anything for me and what should I do from here (I had heard that lower back injuries are the worst place for an injury) I would really like to sue however I am not going to beat the US government in any lawsuit. So what on earth should I do now?

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever think that they have you do that walk to see if you have any problems. Seems it pointed out you have a problem.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What exactly were you planning on suing them for?

Jon
  • CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    Ever think that they have you do that walk to see if you have any problems. Seems it pointed out you have a problem.

Well I never had any problems with my back PERIOD until after that test. Im saying they Injured me shouldnt they have to pay for it?
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    BACK TO THE MALL!!!
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive got a good feeling you signed SOME KIND of paperwork saying they are not liable for anything that happens to you.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No you were injured before. The test only show people with problems.

To see if you have a chance you will need to see a doc like they said let him view your xrays. A fused Vertibrae would be from a past injury.

I'm sure they said maybe a Chiropracter. But for sure they said see a Doctor. Since we are not doctors we will not be able to tell you your chances of qualifing in the future. Why not talk it over with your recruiter.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008
    Ive got a good feeling you signed SOME KIND of paperwork saying they are not liable for anything that happens to you.

Nope I never signed a DAMN thing that day period other than my initials on this is my blood urine stuff like that I always read EVERYTHING before I sign it.

What I really want to know is if there is any coming back from this injury or is it only going to get worse. Id also like to know if it can be fixed or is them trying to fix it paralyze me or what. I really want to know what should I do?
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cyclonus

Nope I never signed a DAMN thing that day period other than my initials on this is my blood urine stuff like that I always read EVERYTHING before I sign it.

What I really want to know is if there is any coming back from this injury or is it only going to get worse. Id also like to know if it can be fixed or is them trying to fix it paralyze me or what. I really want to know what should I do?

Oh, you can come back from a lower back injury...just not in the Military.

I didn't have any lower back problems until after I joined, and 6 years later, I STILL have lower back problems. Only thing is that it's worse now than it was 6 years ago.

Talk to anyone who's ever been in any branch of the military at any point. They'll all say the same thing: it's hell on your back and knees.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

Well I guess there goes my dream of ever being a cop[V]
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    No more missionary position for you buddy[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong

Actually more like no sex PERIOD for the rest of my life well not like I was doing that much anyhow.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Go see a Doctor. No sense giving up yet.
    edited November -1
    Mary still loves you cyc[;)]
    edited November -1

Whoever that is?

Are you catholic or something?

I am NOT
    edited November -1

Whoever that is?

Are you catholic or something?

I am NOT

Settle down.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhhh Yes, the sue happy youth of America.

I appreciate that you gave the military the good ol' college try. But fused vertebrae doesn't happen over night.

You tried out for the team and didn't make it. Your back hurting is something you have to deal with. Not something you should point fingers for.

There is absolutely no reason why you cant pursue a career in law enforcement.

Heal up, exercise, study and pay the $5000 to go to the police academy.

If you have a decent head on your shoulders, any agency would love to get someone with that passion.
    edited November -1
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was sent to the hospital down the street for x-rays. upon returning the army doctor who was reviewing my x-rays spotted what appears to be fused vertibrae in my lower back just above my pelvis. He tried to say this was a prexisting condition (What a pile of crap)

So you believe your vertebrae fused together while you were duck-walking around the room in your underwear?

In the years since my duck-walk, I have never been able to figure out what purpose it served.....I always chalked it up testing to see if we'd do whatever they tell us, no matter how degrading it is.

Now I know the purpose of duck-walking.....thanks Cyclo.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Actually more like no sex PERIOD for the rest of my life well not like I was doing that much anyhow.

NO QUITTERS ALLOWED!

Get your * up and fight this thing and never lay down until you are not able to get up by choice.

And another thing, chiropractors can put you in wheelchair faster than anything else. Be careful with them.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Ah yes. The defeated youth of today, with a good helping of "it is someone else's FAULT".

So you hurt your back, big deal. Back injuries are the MOST common injury in America. Join the crowd. Now stop crying about it and get on with your life. Learn to deal with pain. Don't be a puss and think you need every pill in the book, and you are so disabled, you will never work again. Man up, powder puff. Are you a man or are you a mouse?

The best thing, for me at least, is to NOT stop. Keep your life moving forward. Motivate yourself with the pain. Don't give in to it, like some baby. It might hurt, but not as bad as it could. Keep yourself mobile, by BEING mobil. Push, Push, PUSH!
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't give up Don. We all face challenges in life. The key to succeeding is to percivere and find viable solutions to the your problems.
    edited November -1
    Cyclo's back injury is a direct result of duck-walking.....and not the car accident he had a couple years ago.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he describe the various injuries he suffered as a result of being pancaked between the steering wheel and the fat chick he was riding with?
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    Cyclo's back injury is a direct result of duck-walking.....and not the car accident he had a couple years ago.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he describe the various injuries he suffered as a result of being pancaked between the steering wheel and the fat chick he was riding with?

She was so big she had to ride in the backseat? sheesh. :)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear

She was so big she had to ride in the backseat? sheesh. :)

As I recall, the story was that as the car veered off the road, Cyclo unbuckled his seatbelt and dived in between her and the wheel.

I'm more inclined to believe the "road head" theory, personally [8D]
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where is Snatchola these days cyclonuts ?? Your stories get even better as time goes on, them must be some good shrooms.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being a truck driver was never hard on your back?

Funny, I know lots of truckers with back problems.

SUE! SUE! SUE!

How unAmerican of them to have you perform a physical test that millions of others have completed without injury! They should have protected you!
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that you got hurt or discovered your injuries. Sometimes with backs it is the straw that broke the enlistee's back so to speak. Anyway good luck with your lawsuit[:(][:(][:(][V]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Maybe I can sue GB. I used to be sane before I started hanging out here.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nobody can have luck this bad,......I call BS on most of his stuff.

As has been said before, you do not get fused vertebrae from doing a "duck-walk."
    That was a result of something done years ago, and you simply "un-fused" one of them with a movement.

Grow a pair already!
    I have had a bad back for years, and I still keep going everyday.

I hate to see what you will be like at 45 or 50 with your seeming intolerance to any pain.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    If the fused vertebra wasn't caused by an accident in the past, then you were born with it.

Either way, you had it when you walked in the door.
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw people get hurt in basic but never herd of anyone getting hurt at meps. Here is a thought if you cant get through meps dont think about Iraq or Afganistan. Good luck on your back. Try rehab they have stupid exercises that actualy work. Been there done that.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    Being a truck driver was never hard on your back?

Funny, I know lots of truckers with back problems.

SUE! SUE! SUE!

How unAmerican of them to have you perform a physical test that millions of others have completed without injury! They should have protected you!

Forget the military.

Policeman people qualify to a lower physical standard.

Yes, you should sue everyone in sight and apply for Social Security disability at once.

You are a stout fellow, and there should be money in it for you, somewhere, from somebody.

Doug
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Are you an orphan ??

Doug
  • scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    I was sent to the hospital down the street for x-rays. upon returning the army doctor who was reviewing my x-rays spotted what appears to be fused vertibrae in my lower back just above my pelvis. He tried to say this was a prexisting condition (What a pile of crap)

So you believe your vertebrae fused together while you were duck-walking around the room in your underwear?

In the years since my duck-walk, I have never been able to figure out what purpose it served.....I always chalked it up testing to see if we'd do whatever they tell us, no matter how degrading it is.

Now I know the purpose of duck-walking.....thanks Cyclo.

I always figured the duck walk was to exercise your sphincter since they usually shoved a finger up your * right after the duck walk.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

As has been said before, you do not get fused vertebrae from doing a "duck-walk."
    That was a result of something done years ago, and you simply "un-fused" one of them with a movement.

Grow a pair already!

I hate to see what you will be like at 45 or 50 with your seeming intolerance to any pain.

I assure you if you met me youd believe me my luck is beyond horrible.

Oh and about snitch I talk to her once in awhile now but not often id say about once every 4 months or so.

Im not going to sue because I know I cant win in that case and ive never sued anyone before.

Yes I am very weary of any chiropractor touching me for fear of them just making the problem worse . (I know I was not born with something like that)

What Im thinking of doing is having a talk with the chiropracter and the physical therapist after they have reviewed the x-rays and whatnot and If they cannot fix the problem in my back perhaps they I might get them to sign off on disability which I dont want to do. However all I really want to do is be a cop and if that is an impossibility because of this retarded injury then I do not want to do anything else. Ill just take the damn disability (if I can get it) and Ill spend the rest of my life making diorama's and models the rest of my life which is something I can enjoy that I can still do with the back problem.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1

I doubt it, can you eat doughnuts? Follow orders without thinking? Ride around in a car? Fill out paperwork? Miss a target 9/10 times? Use a tazer on old people...especially minorities? If so..try the LAPD. [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Grow a pair already!

I assure you if you met me youd believe me my luck is beyond horrible.

Oh and about snitch I talk to her once in awhile now but not often id say about once every 4 months or so.

Im not going to sue because I know I cant win in that case and ive never sued anyone before.

Yes I am very weary of any chiropractor touching me for fear of them just making the problem worse . (I know I was not born with something like that)

What Im thinking of doing is having a talk with the chiropracter and the physical therapist after they have reviewed the x-rays and whatnot and If they cannot fix the problem in my back perhaps they I might get them to sign off on disability which I dont want to do. However all I really want to do is be a cop and if that is an impossibility because of this retarded injury then I do not want to do anything else. Ill just take the damn disability (if I can get it) and Ill spend the rest of my life making diorama's and models the rest of my life which is something I can enjoy that I can still do with the back problem.

Being wary of chiropractors is a mistake. They can actually fix back problems, and they cost a whole lot less than drugs to cover up the symptoms and surgery to replace one problem with another.

My chiropractor charges me $35 a visit. Best thing to do is go to a deep tissue massage for an hour followed immediately by a chiropractic adjustment. Do that a half dozen times, and maintain good posture and back health in between, and you should be good to go.

The purpose of going to the massage therapist before the chiropractor is to loosen up the muscles in the back that pulled your spine out of alignment to begin with. Once the muscles are loose, it's a very simple matter for the chiropractor to realign the vertebrae because he/she doesn't have to fight against tense muscles. Everything moves easier.

Look into it. I'm planning on doing just that as soon as I get home from this deployment, because I do not want to go through life collecting disability for something that's easily treated.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I was raised hearing them called bone crackers & quacks. I never trusted one 'til I hurt my back in LE. The chiropractor was a miracle worker. My back felt better after just a few visits and hasn't given me a problem since. The key, IMHO, is to find a good one.

Of course, then I had my heart attack & open heart surgery & now I'm disabled. Life sux, but it beats the alternative.