In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

learned something today

savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
always thought it was something special in car therostat that made them work it's just melting wax that makes them work as the wax melts it expands then pushes the plunger out never knew it was something that simple

Comments

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On sears model the 3 digits in front of decimal point tells who the orignal manufactor was
    101.=savage,stevens, springfield
    103. Marlin
    273.=winchester
    Sears also has a bunch without this code
    At least that is what the gunsmith I use told me today. Anybody here verify that
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    i always thought it was mercury.
  • proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    how its made, neat show, tho canadian
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I always thought it was one of them little leprechauns that....
    Oh, never mind![:D]
  • aeonsciiaeonscii Member Posts: 97
    edited November -1
    It goes without saying that condensation will flood an automatic choke.

[:0]
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    The secret of the thermostat lies in the small cylinder located on the engine-side of the device. This cylinder is filled with a wax that begins to melt at perhaps 180 degrees F (different thermostats open at different temperatures, but 180 F/82 C is a common temperature). A rod connected to the valve presses into this wax. When the wax melts, it expands significantly and pushes the rod out of the cylinder, opening the valve.