In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I do not like small gas engines

mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
No, I don't. $600 Ridgid pressure washer. Babied, taken care of, never left gas in it, used 6 times. Four years old. Went out and tried to fire it up today to clean the driveway. No dice. The repair shop will take about 2.5 weeks and it will probably be about $200.

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    You left fuel in the carb.
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    45-70 right in the kisser[}:)] problem solved[;)][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Idahobound
    Ethenol

Ding Ding.... We have a winner.....

After spending a pile of cash and time repairing my lawn equipment because of ethanol damage I just farm out most of my lawn work. The machines I do run I get real gas from the Marina or use this stuff

TruFuel3Cans.jpg
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you use pump oil? #1 killer of pressure washers if the pump impeller does not turn and motor will not start.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    sorry to hear of your trouble. I have been working on small engines for over 60 years I love them. on a single cylinder whats not to love need 3 things Spark "at the correct time " Fuel " somewhere at the correct air to fuel ratio" and compression . You can check one of the three at a time all three in less than 5 MINUTES then fix the one or more that is not working correctly. I stay in gun "mad" money for last 50 years doing side work on small engines [^]
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I'm inclined to say ethanol too. It's slow poison to internal combustion engines.

Pure gasoline only. My Kubota lawnmower is 18 years old and still runs like Jesse Owens.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If the Pump impeller is frozen the engine will not start.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Non Ethenol gas is a premium...but well worth it! I have chain saws 20 years old that still run on the third pull...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just like the "low oil" lock out float switch on generators. That one I have learned how to buy pass.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Did you use pump oil? #1 killer of pressure washers if the pump impeller does not turn and motor will not start.

My Pressure washer is 24 years old. I don't see any method to change the pump oil. I do change the engine oil every so often. I run real gas in it and have replaced the seals on the hoses/wand more than anything. Sometimes I have to drop the bowl and clean the carb but it may get used twice or 3 times a year. When it gets used it is all day for a whole weekend.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sta-Bil has a marine formula that supposedly isolates the ethanol and protects all components. I use it for the boat, the generator, the chain saw and a. RC boat. So far so good.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found a good local "shade tree" type repair guy for my power stuff. I had a brush cutter go down and I knocked myself out trying to figure it out. I almost spent $75.00 on an ignition coil. Took it to him yesterday and he had it done today. bad plug wire and carb was dirty. Cost me $50. He did say to use premium gas and stihl 2 cycle oil. I try to stay away from the factory and franchise service places.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    agree as lethal gas to small engines ( ethanol trade name ) is all I can find I went to the canned gas cost a little more but has cut way back on my profanity and repairs

quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Ethenol

Ding Ding.... We have a winner.....

After spending a pile of cash and time repairing my lawn equipment because of ethanol damage I just farm out most of my lawn work. The machines I do run I get real gas from the Marina or use this stuff

TruFuel3Cans.jpg
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ethenol

Yep....I run only PURE gas through my small engines. I had a CBR1000 screwed up by ethanol...four carbs required rebuild. Never again...mower, push mower, generator, chainsaws, blower and weed eater are run off PURE gas only now...haven't had any problems since.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No ethanol fuel in any of my small engines
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small gas engines are picky. Gas must be fresh and ethanol can be a problem[:o)]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recreational gas (ethanol free!) is the way to go.
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you were close, it wouldn't cost you a penny over parts. Have 3 mowers, that I will be doing after work today for various neighbors.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Sta-Bil has a marine formula that supposedly isolates the ethanol and protects all components. I use it for the boat, the generator, the chain saw and a. RC boat. So far so good.

+1
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Recreational gas (ethanol free!) is the way to go.

Any thing but my truck or Jeep and it gets the clear stuff. And I'm not to sure about the jeep been working on it since it stopped running and there are several hoses on it that are turning to mush feel like tar.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    add 6 ounces diesel fuel to a gallon of any gasoline including ethanol blends and the diesel fuel acts as a carb cleaner to keep the jets open, never drain gas in winter or run dry using ethanol blends as they will gum the jets until finally blocked shut instead put fresh gas with diesel fuel mix in just before storage and run for a few minutes before storing, worked for me and others forever.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    I'm inclined to say ethanol too. It's slow poison to internal combustion engines.

Pure gasoline only. My Kubota lawnmower is 18 years old and still runs like Jesse Owens.

Jesse has been dead since 1980. [:o)]
  • Options
    bearman49709bearman49709 Member Posts: 503
    edited November -1
    Always run ethanol gas never had any problems in any motor,and I've left gas sit in them for up to three years!
    I Can't say the same for people I know that use sta-bil or any other gas treatment!