In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1 Month into retirement

HavegunJoeHavegunJoe Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
Just finished my first month of retirement and I have to say it was great. It took me all of 12 seconds of the first day to get use to this new way of life. Hearing from my ex-fellow employees things at work have only gotten worse. I feel sorry for those I left behind but oh so happy to be out of there after 26 years.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats! You will soon settle into a program of endless honey-dos like the rest of us.
  • Options
    17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    congrats on your retirement[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats and welcome to the club. Now you won't have time to finish anything. [:D]
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats. I just started my 3rd year of retirement. I don't recall it taking anywhere near 12 seconds for me to make the adjustment to retired life [;)]
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I will never retire. I might be retired, however...

Enjoy your retirement!
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Six years and counting! [:)]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My retirement plan is working well. I eat till I'm sleepy, then sleep till I'm hungry.[:)]
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Movie Chanel will be Your best Friend.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    havegunjoe, what was your job that you disliked so much?
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going on 2 years here. Being retired is a full time job....sort of wonder how I got anything important (shooting, reloading, load testing) done when I was working. I feel sorry for the old retired pharts who still wear ties because they always did for 40 years while they were counting beans. They definitely need to have a hobby...
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    Congrats. on your retirement.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Props to you on the retirement.

If you are physically able find something to do that will keep you moving and working. I do not like seeing people retire sit down and wait to die.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    Props to you on the retirement.

If you are physically able find something to do that will keep you moving and working. I do not like seeing people retire sit down and wait to die.

Bingo, we have a winner here... Most people die in the first 6 months after retiring because they become inactive, the ones that live a long retirement replace work with a hobby to keep their mines and body fit and occupied. A person needs a reason to live and that is work, or a good and fun hobby, otherwise there is no reason to go on

BTW: congrats, I hope you have more success than I do retiring, I've tried it on numerous occasions and always go back to work within a month or two. Guess you can't retire a workaholic
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Congrats, Im working on my third year and love it. It can be a little boring in the winter, but its MUCH better than answering the bell every morning:) (Every day is saturday)
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Hopefully my retirement (whenever it comes) will be as smooth of a transition as yours! [:D]
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    23 years and counting ............[:p]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the life of the Seven-Day Weekend.

I have five years seniority on you. Here's what I learned:

If you have no time to get everything done, you are doing way too much. Pace yourself, my friend: there are no deadlines except being dead.

On the other hand, don't stagnate. Have one or two things planned for every single day -- and whatever you do, avoid daytime TV.

Exercise. Stretching and staying limber are far more important than aerobics. Walk, try golfing, garden. Tai Chi is amazingly effective at keeping you supple and it takes no equipment and little time.

Finances are too complex and private to discuss here, but do calculate how long it would take you to make up for the lost money you'll never get by waiting until full SSN retirement age. Twelve grand a year is nothing to sneeze at, and it would take you six to eight years to break even if you wait.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every day is Saturday. [:D]
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going on my 5th month. So far haven't looked back.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two years & ten months of "retirement". Went back to work for a different gov't agency exactly 2 years from the first retirement date. Ten months into that job and keeping busy.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Five more months until I pull the pin...I think I'll go make a short timers stick.
  • Options
    bearman49709bearman49709 Member Posts: 503
    edited November -1
    I took a medical retirement effective 12-12-11, but I've been on S/L and vacation since 10-02-10.