In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I kicked my own * today at the gym

11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
Mrs. Viktor and I got a membership at our local YMCA (please insert Village People jokes here and be done with it) after we paid off my motorcycle, and we've been putting it to good use. Mrs. Viktor is down to 125-ish (from a starting weight of around 135-140). I started around 260, and I'm hovering in the vicinity of 240.

Well, anyway, I decided to try out a new workout today that I came up with last week.

The running track at the Y is 1/12 mile per lap, and it has a small exercise area in each of the 4 corners.

My workout today was a circuit workout, with a different exercise at each corner, and a full lap in between the corner exercise. So, for instance, after finishing Station 1, I ran a full lap from the Station 1 corner back to it before moving on to Station 2. I did that each time I moved to a different station.

To start the workout, I did 2 laps, the first at a light jog, the second at a full sprint. Station 1 was push-ups, Station 2 was 4-count flutter kicks, Station 3 was 4-count jumping jacks, and Station 4 was abdominal crunches. I started out at 15 reps on the first circuit, and dropped by 5 reps for each successive circuit.

My goal is to be able to start at 5 reps, increasing by 5 on each circuit to 25, and then decrease by 5 until I get back to 5.

Judging by how thoroughly I kicked my own * doing 3 circuits today, it might be a while before I reach that goal.

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well good for you , at least your doing it not just tsalking about how your going to [:D]
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My overall goal is to get my weight down to 190 by the end of the year.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easy way to get down is nothing between meals and that is easier said than done and I'm a expert on the said part.[B)]
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cut back on your carbs, and it will go a lot faster.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Yep, cut out your carbs, after a few weeks you will be over the withdrawal. Eat all the bacon and eggs, just not the taters and toast.
  • Options
    themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great work. We joined the YMCA at Christmas. Wife likes the Zumba and Yoga classes. I'm more to the low impact cardio. I'm hovering at 193 lbs and feeling better.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One other thing, losing the weight is the easy part. Keeping it off takes just as much work and dedication.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you remind me of once when I was about 20 years old I worked out on a preacher bench before I went to work, I pulled both biceps , I went into the kitchen and put both arms up on a counter and had a girl put ice packs on both arms for a few minutes, an older lady was observing and said "they are so swollen" lol I was pushing 19+inches at the time

its super sets or nothing with me
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I highly recommend 2 apps

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

and

https://www.runtastic.com/

I have lost 50 pounds in the last year and have 20 to go.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Good for you! Changing up the circuit Will keep you going and stimulate your system.

I'm high protein and low Carb/low fat.

I try to drink 2gallons of water a day.

1gram of protein for every pound I weigh.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gym is a must. Get a trainer for some advise when it starts getting routine...

Cut out bread booze and sugars to make weight goals.
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That should work well but be careful this increased activity will make you so hungry. Guard against over eating. Also if you are over 50 diet HAS to be big part of losing weight.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sex, done correctly, burns more calories than running a mile...
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you must be double-jointed!!
  • Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm working on a mental picture of 240 pounds hovering.[:)]
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm back to the weight I was in college.

The arrangement is slightly different, and can't bench 300 Lbs. now, but for the most part, everything is where it is supposed to be.

An Elliptical and Universal weight machine outside the man cave, 1/2 hour per night, 4 - 5 nights per week.

I know I don't have the discipline to go to a gym, and over time, the cost has probably been covered.

Good work, Jake. Carrying too much weight at your age will take a heavy toll on your knees and hips.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele