In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marines to Catch Rides on Foreign Warships????

WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
Man, I am slipping deeper and deeper into the Twilight Zone! I can't believe this is even being contemplated. Cut the damn handouts and build up the military!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/29/navy-weighs-having-marines-hitch-ride-on-foreign-warships/

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The Navy currently has 30 amphibious transport ships to carry Marines, but estimates it would need 38 to cope with rising crises across North Africa. It won't reach that number until 2028 under current budget constraints.

So we are allowing for eight more of those tubs to be built over the next 13 years? Roughly one every six months. Our South Korean stooges just about destroyed this nation's steel and shipbuilding industries, so even with full funding, would we have the shipyards available in this country to build the ships at a faster pace?
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    Mark, there are about 150 yards left, but half of them can't build large combat vessels. When the Navy began to downsize at the close of the Cold War, the yards closed and never came back. When San Pedro closed in 1989, thousands of high paying jobs disappeared forever.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    No Frigging way. I saw that Article yesterday.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We spend Billions on illegals so send them home and use the money for our needs. Deport Now
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live very close and have access to a large military facility and can relate more than one would care to read of the damage inflicted by Barrack Obama.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    The Navy currently has 30 amphibious transport ships to carry Marines, but estimates it would need 38 to cope with rising crises across North Africa. It won't reach that number until 2028 under current budget constraints.

So we are allowing for eight more of those tubs to be built over the next 13 years? Roughly one every six months. Our South Korean stooges just about destroyed this nation's steel and shipbuilding industries, so even with full funding, would we have the shipyards available in this country to build the ships at a faster pace?

Check your math.
    A little over a year to build each one.
    But we don't need new construction. We have plenty of ships mothballed that could easily be refitted and do transport duty. It' not enriching shipyards much though, but it would bring some 0-5 command billets open pretty quick.
  • Options
    wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

And of that current number of amphib's in commission only about 10 are actually deployed with the rest either in overhaul, in some manner of training prepping to deploy, or in transit.

If it wasn't for naval contracts there would probably be very few, if any, large commercial shipyards in operations. Less than 5% of all US international export/import trade is carried on US flagged merchant ships, so there's little need for merchant ship construction. If it wasn't for the Jones Act, protecting inter-coastal commerce to US flagged vessels only, we probably wouldn't have a merchant marine fleet.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wifetrained

And of that current number of amphib's in commission only about 10 are actually deployed with the rest either in overhaul, in some manner of training prepping to deploy, or in transit.

If it wasn't for naval contracts there would probably be very few, if any, large commercial shipyards in operations. Less than 5% of all US international export/import trade is carried on US flagged merchant ships, so there's little need for merchant ship construction. If it wasn't for the Jones Act, protecting inter-coastal commerce to US flagged vessels only, we probably wouldn't have a merchant marine fleet.

I have to admit that I'd never even heard of the Jones Act, which dates back to 1920, and among of things, requires that....all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried on U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents.

I'll bet legislation like that could not be passed today.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Obviously, the problem is that we aren't giving the most lavishly funded military in the history of the world enough money
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Some time back I worked for a large USA defense conglomerate that managed to build a new ship so badly it could not pass basic seaworthiness. I was not involved, but like a lot of people in other divisions, we all heard about in painful detail.

Before that I worked aboard USA built and flagged research ship's. I was "Science Support", not a sailor. The ship's had American Merchant Marine officers but foreign seaman.

While the science passengers appreciated the improved technology over earlier ships leased and operated from Norway, they had some valid complaints.

Food quality was awful. So bad the more experienced research staffers bought what they could at port calls and stashed it in lab storage spaces.

American shipyards had gotten away with using iron pipe for potable water lines. This tap water became rusty and undrinkable. Forcing cargo space to be set aside for pallet stacks of bottled water.

Shipyard workers had left noise making gags inside welded closed spaces. One was found during drydock repairs. A length of pipe had ball bearings inside it and caps welded on. The rougher the seas the greater the racket it mmade.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm popeye the sailor man and i'll ride on an american boat...and if one's not handy i'll hitch a a lift on anything afloat....our govt has destroyed our pride, so now we have to beg for a ride...where it's headed i don't know, but i hope it's where we need to go.....so line up and be ready to punch a ticket. cause America can no longer tell em to stick it
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    Obviously, the problem is that we aren't giving the most lavishly funded military in the history of the world enough money

Also, we may not end up going to places we are not wanted or needed.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele