In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

News out of WA state

Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in General Discussion
You WA guys hear about this? I heard they are going to bring gun control vote on background checks to the State referendum process. They say they need to by pass the legislature because the NRA has too much influence with the State's law makers.

I don't know how pro or anti the population is. How do you think it will fare?

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Not quite what is going on.

There is a group(s) pushing to get a vote of some kind on the next ballot. To even consider this they need 250,000 signatures, http://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/initiatives/faq.aspx

Here is some more info on it, http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Gun-control-advocates-launch-background-check-initiative-205266631.html
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    It's DOA.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They could probably find at least half the required signatures in Seattle alone? And I don't see any errors in my original post re: Not quite what is going on.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Sorry the error was in my reading comprehension [:I]
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last thing I would want is anything having to do with the 2nd coming up on a ballot! There's enough libtards in this country to vote for a total gun ban [:(!][:(!]
  • Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's apparently how it would work:

The gun prohibition lobby will try to gather 350,000 signatures on the initiative for presentation to the Legislature in January. According to Page 6 of the state Initiatives & Referenda manual from the Washington Secretary of State, "Initiatives to the Legislature must be filed within 10 months prior to the next regular session of the Legislature, and the signature petition sheets must be submitted not less than 10 days before such regular session of the Legislature."

On page 4 of the same manual, the process for initiatives to the Legislature is found, and it says that, "Initiatives to the Legislature, if certified, are submitted to the Legislature at its regular session each January. Once submitted, the Legislature must take one of the following three actions:

The Legislature can adopt the initiative as proposed, in which case it becomes law without a vote of the people;
    The Legislature can reject or refuse to act on the proposed initiative, in which case the initiative must be placed on the ballot at the next state general election; or
    The Legislature can propose a different measure dealing with the same subject, in which case both measures must be placed on the next state General Election ballot.

To qualify to the ballot or Legislature, the sponsor of either type of initiative must first circulate the complete text of the proposal among voters and obtain a number of legal voter signatures equal to eight (8) percent of the number of votes cast for the office of Governor at the last regular gubernatorial election.

The earliest an initiative could be on the ballot would be November 2014.

http://www.examiner.com/article/our-rights-are-not-for-sale-say-fired-up-gun-owners
    http://www.examiner.com/article/politics-gun-safety-and-separation-of-church-and-state
    http://www.examiner.com/article/anti-gunners-will-launch-gun-control-initiative-campaign
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say it won't pass even with Liberal King & Pierce Counties if it happens to get on the ballot. Yakima County Sheriff said he wouldn't enforce any of these new proposed gun bans from the Feds or State. Thankfully none of the State bans went anywhere.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appears to me to be a way to bypass the legislature and let the people vote directly on the issue. My big fear is that the majority of our Washington state voters would probably say it was a good idea and vote yes.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I have this nasty habit of being right most of the time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If enough effort was directed at public education it would fail but I am not sure that kinda money could be put up. Personally I think the commercials the NRA puts out are weak on strong arguments.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,421 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    Personally I think the commercials the NRA puts out are weak on strong arguments.
    That's because the NRA has zero interest in winning this war on the second. Look what this latest scare has done to their membership rolls....money money money.....
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I recall correctly, they had a similar previous ballot issue, it went down something like 27-72 against.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    Personally I think the commercials the NRA puts out are weak on strong arguments.
    That's because the NRA has zero interest in winning this war on the second. Look what this latest scare has done to their membership rolls....money money money.....
    We can say that till we're blue, but do you think folks will listen to us? The veil has been pulled for quite some time now.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I don't believe the national polls of 90%+ in support of universal background checks, there is a significant percentage of folks that support it. Bill O'Reilly and Moron Joe push for it every chance they get.

Hell, a sizable number of people on this forum support it, particularly those from states where it already is the law.

The feeling is, IMO, based in a few things:

1. Ignorance of the current laws. The grabbers have done a very good job of distorting the issue. We are led to believe that FTF purchases can legally occur in the Carolinas and the firearms find there way into New York, Chicago, etc. We are led to believe that you can order a pistol on the inter-web from anywhere and have it delivered to your house. A couple of examples of the false presentation of existing law.

2. Ignorance of possible effect on mass shootings. As far as I can tell, none of the recent mass shootings would have been stopped had UBC's been in place. The firearms used in NC State, Tuscon, Aurora and Newtown were purchased using background checks.

3. Ignorance of the reason we have a 2nd Amendment. Too many of the current population of the U.S. do not believe that there is a threat to their freedom from the U.S. or State Governments. These people have surrendered not only the protection of their freedom to these governments, but have surrendered the definition thereof as well.

We are told that the FFL Bound Book will only be used to back trace firearms used in crimes. We know that inquiries have been made, at least on the Southern border (and probably elsewhere) by law enforcement to FFL holders as to who they have sold firearms. This confirms the fears of those who believe that the UBC is the first step towards the ability of government to know where all 'legal' firearms are located. Obvious problem for freedom.

If this makes it to the ballot in WA State, there is a very high likelihood that it will pass, as it would in most states. It is not just the leftists in the major cities. It is the good 'common sense' folks that now look to government to protect them from all evil as well. A sad case of not seeing the forest for the trees.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele