In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.50BMG

brewer12345brewer12345 Member Posts: 83
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
Any .50bmg shooters in here?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Silly question, but why not:

For the average civilian shooter/hunter, is a rifle in .50 BMG basically just a toy?

I've never seen the point, since normal hunting and target calibers have done everything I have needed, and as someone who is primarily a small game/upland hunter a shotgun or .22 (and sometimes a .357 lever) does most of what I need. Maybe I am missing something?
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see em as toys. Just like a sports car, no real need for one but I bet they are fun.[:D]
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    big boy toy for 99% of the shooting public
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can save money shooting the 50 BMG at game. You bypass the processor as anything you hit instantly turns into Hamburg .
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly; why not?
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have friends that compete at 1,000 yards with them

if you think anyone hunts with one in north america you must be in the wrong forum if you expect to be taken seriously , your question is reminiscence of a liberal thinking our gun rights are based on hunting
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my son has one fun to shoot heck yes [:D]
    so yes its a toy [^]

JMHO
    just human nature
    ask why ??
    why
    the better house
    a pocket rocket bike
    a over the top 4x4 truck
    a high HP or luxury car
    the fastest horse
    and the list is endless as the diversity as the human race

"need" and "want" comes into play and it normally follows the money
    notice more money translates into more wants fulfilled
    did Trump need to be president [:D][:D] with his bank roll
    It was a want and a good example
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the closest thing to a destructive Device you can legally own according to the batfe and the federal government...

There are caliber restrictions and limitations placed on firearms and this (the .50 bmg) is the big kid on the block...

It's like owning a car that can go 200 mph..

It has no use as you cannot legaly go that fast...

Except on a track at great expense...

It's a toy and an affectation.

It's also the best (one of the best - most destructive) weapons you can have without risking prison.

I am unaware of any legitimate hunting use.

As an aside the speedlimit in this country is (for arguments sake) 70 mph...

Yet my car can easily exceed this limitation.

Why does even the cheapest and slowest car sold have the capability to go over 100 mph???

You cannot legaly go that fast and you have no legitimate need or use.

Intersting question.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fair enough, then. Nothing wrong with expensive toys, for sure. I don't have any particular desire, but no accounting for taste.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    i have friends that compete at 1,000 yards with them

if you think anyone hunts with one in north america you must be in the wrong forum if you expect to be taken seriously , your question is reminiscence of a liberal thinking our gun rights are based on hunting

Relax. I've no real clue what people do with these things or why so I asked. I am not a fan of recoil or muzzle blast for their own sake, so the thing holds no appeal to me. I was wondering idly why people buy them, that's all.
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go and stand to the side of someone one shooting a 50 cal. then report back to us your reaction.

It will then be decided if you should keep posting here or on a Rosie O'Donnell site! Hint, If the corners of your lip'* your ear lobes, Your welcome here![;)]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    standing beside is not recommended and defiantly not a good Idea [:D] that's true
    I make sure to tell anyone when were shooting my sons stand behind the shooter not in the " wash " of the muzzle brake off to the sides
    not a pleasant place to stand ( don't ask )
    then again being in front of it when fired would be a bad day also "clean up aisle 5 comes to mind "

quote:Originally posted by wiplash
    Go and stand to the side of someone one shooting a 50 cal. then report back to us your reaction.

It will then be decided if you should keep posting here or on a Rosie O'Donnell site! Hint, If the corners of your lip'* your ear lobes, Your welcome here![;)]
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    It's the closest thing to a destructive Device you can legally own according to the batfe and the federal government...

There are caliber restrictions and limitations placed on firearms and this (the .50 bmg) is the big kid on the block...

It's like owning a car that can go 200 mph..

It has no use as you cannot legaly go that fast...

Except on a track at great expense...

It's a toy and an affectation.

It's also the best (one of the best - most destructive) weapons you can have without risking prison.

I am unaware of any legitimate hunting use.

As an aside the speedlimit in this country is (for arguments sake) 70 mph...

Yet my car can easily exceed this limitation.

Why does even the cheapest and slowest car sold have the capability to go over 100 mph???

You cannot legaly go that fast and you have no legitimate need or use.

Intersting question.

Mike

I have been told they have some mighty big rabbits in Texas. [:)]
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    The 50 BMG is effective against prairie dogs, and corn monkeys.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My next Armadillo gun; about right for those bastages here in East Texas! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    edited November -1
    I don't think this thread was a trolling attempt by a leftist lib - prog - dem to stir the pot or attack the board.

One of the reasons I cite the car - speed limit analogy is that it's universal and easy to understand.

It's a great example of easy logic that traps and frustrates most libs...

One of the automatic defense mechanism responses from libs is to say that cars don't kill people but evil black guns do...

From this point it's pretty easy to refute and tear apart the normal lib argument / smug prepared response...

Cause while most libs aspire to being part of an intellectual elite they are not really very smart - they just believe and regurgitate the standard party doctrine fed to them since birth.

They cannot debate and argue on merit because the lib doctrine is a tissue of lies that have been historical failures.

For some reason libs want to justify taking away your right to own a gun...

They seem almost inable to just say they want all guns banned with no exceptions as a statement of fact or party imperative.

They seem to feel the need to smugly quote the false narratives of others and to repeat quotes that are factless and baseless.

Mike
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    I don't think this thread was a trolling attempt by a leftist lib - prog - dem to stir the pot or attack the board.

One of the reasons I cite the car - speed limit analogy is that it's universal and easy to understand.

It's a great example of easy logic that traps and frustrates most libs...

One of the automatic defense mechanism responses from libs is to say that cars don't kill people but evil black guns do...

From this point it's pretty easy to refute and tear apart the normal lib argument / smug prepared response...

Cause while most libs aspire to being part of an intellectual elite they are not really very smart - they just believe and regurgitate the standard party doctrine fed to them since birth.

They cannot debate and argue on merit because the lib doctrine is a tissue of lies that have been historical failures.

For some reason libs want to justify taking away your right to own a gun...

They seem almost inable to just say they want all guns banned with no exceptions as a statement of fact or party imperative.

They seem to feel the need to smugly quote the false narratives of others and to repeat quotes that are factless and baseless.

Mike

So Mike, Are you saying Texas does not have bunnies the size of pickups? [:o)]
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, my two 50's, a Ma Deuce and a bolt action are pretty much toys, but one day I might take the bolt gun on a coyote hunt. The M.D. and its tripod would just be too much to carry 1/3 to 1/2 mile from the car but it would make a great picture with a dead yote. [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    According to the left media it's good for punching holes in manhole covers and shooting down helicopters...

While I will admit that it's possible to do both I am trying to recall the last time someone shot down an aircraft with a single bolt action rifle...

Maybe a member here could produce a scaled up model of the Japanese type 99 Arisaka bolt action rifle rear sight anti aircraft extension wing and mount it on a modern era barret light 50...

And if my Rambo lore is accurate you can take on a helicopter while under fire with nothing but a cool poncho and a fist sized rock...

And I guess that theoretically a person whom is attacking you might come up with a method of attaching a manhole cover to his body armor (think realy big front side insert plate) thus requiring you to shoot through it to protect yourself from an assualt...

Of course certainly the weapon of choice for a street thug or your average hoodlum costs several thousand dollars and weighs like 30 pounds and has an overall length greater than my girlfriend is tall...

And maybe if you are living out the modern day night of the lupus and are being over run by giant Australian rabbits bent on wholesale ecological destruction and could not find a .22 rifle you might fid yourself using a barret light 50...

Also I am trying to recall the last time a weapon utilizing the .50 Browning machine gun round during the commitance of a crime occured...

Stop letting facts get in the way of a good story for dateline or msnbc...

Sigh

Arrrgh

Mike
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Had a Serbu, found out that even reloading would cost $5 a shot, sold it to an FFL buddy who had (?) more dollars than sense.
    FCSA (50 caliber Shooters Association) matches START at 1,000 yards; the cartridge weighs as much as many derringers, and can be fired accurately over 3/4 of a mile (and further).
    Definite Fun factor, but kinda pricey for plinkin'.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1911a1-fan,

quote:if you think anyone hunts with one in north america you must be in the wrong forum if you expect to be taken seriously

You might want to take a peek at these photos... scroll to the bottom half.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/Anzio-Hunting-Photos.htm

mrmike08075,

quote:It's the closest thing to a destructive Device you can legally own according to the batfe and the federal government...

Yes there are restrictions but Anzio Ironworks offers the opportunity to own a 20mm mag-fed rifle legally:

http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

Everyone figured that King of Two Miles would be dominated by the .50 BMG. In reality it was the custom .375s and 416s which won the day.

Best.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw a guy shoot a single shot he had built himself.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned a .50 for a while.
    The only useful thing I ever
    did with it was to destroy
    a beaver dam for a farmer.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sadly the idiot Dianne Feinstein and her ilk think that handguns like the S&W 500 Mag and the Desert Eagle .50AE are chambered for the 50 BMG.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    1911a1-fan,

quote:if you think anyone hunts with one in north america you must be in the wrong forum if you expect to be taken seriously

You might want to take a peek at these photos... scroll to the bottom half.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/Anzio-Hunting-Photos.htm

mrmike08075,

quote:It's the closest thing to a destructive Device you can legally own according to the batfe and the federal government...

Yes there are restrictions but Anzio Ironworks offers the opportunity to own a 20mm mag-fed rifle legally:

http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

Everyone figured that King of Two Miles would be dominated by the .50 BMG. In reality it was the custom .375s and 416s which won the day.

Best.

sure a nice advertisement to sell a rifle

with 16,000-13,000 ft pounds at the muzzle they have to be downloading them or it would look more like this

http://i.imgur.com/78ZEd6p.jpg

there are people that use tannerite to blow up hogs, it does not mean it is a common or accepted practice
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,334 ******
    edited November -1
    They have real purpose in defending liberty.[:)]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    They have real purpose in defending liberty.[:)]
    Yep.
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think I will pass. Can't afford ammo or to reload.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not!
    Big Boom is big fun
    Squirrel and Coyote hunting

Also to clean before Niece or Daughter goes on a date, makes them think twice.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 4205raymond
    Surprisingly cheap to shoot. Ammo can be had for a little under 3 bucks/per, with a little shopping.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very useful tools.

I used my M2 to cut down a 10" diameter pine tree on Arbor Day.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    quote:Originally posted by 4205raymond
    Surprisingly cheap to shoot. Ammo can be had for a little under 3 bucks/per, with a little shopping.

If you buy right, you can reload for about 50cents per shot
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Almost forgot, they're good for Graboids, Shriekers and *-blasters too
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am hoping to go on a hunting trip with Bert Gummer soon. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My interests are mainly hunting (do a lot of small game, dove, pheasant and took up waterfowl this year), shooting trap, and punching paper at up to 100 yards. Not sure why a quarter of the responses seem to be political, I just really don't have a use for such a thing (.50BMG) and wondered what people do with them. Noting further really meant. Heck, people look at me funny when I tell them I pop rabbits with 38 specials out of a lever action, so I do understand that fans of the 50 might be a little touchy.

Maybe next year I will try 44 specials on rabbits...
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Very useful tools.

I used my M2 to cut down a 10" diameter pine tree on Arbor Day.

Seen that done with a .223

That said, I have a friend that uses his to hunt elk at extreme long range, but anything closer than 1800 yards, it's got to much power and will ruin to much meat
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    I am hoping to go on a hunting trip with Bert Gummer soon. [:D]

Me too. I just watched one of the movies again and it made me wonder 2 things. What did he do to be able to afford all those neat toys, and how can I get in on it.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,334 ******
    edited November -1
    I think we failed to get the term "average civilian shooter/hunter" properly defined.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    I think we failed to get the term "average civilian shooter/hunter" properly defined.

Presumably we are all above average here...