In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NEW LAW FOR FLORIDA GUN OWNERS....JULY 1ST..

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Gun owners welcome anonymity

On July 1, information on who has a concealed weapon permitin Florida will no longer be open to the public.
By KRIS HUNDLEY and ALEX LEARY
Published June 17, 2006

On any given business day, Thomas S. Johnson might be carrying a loaded Walther PPK or 9mm Beretta as he goes about his job as chief executive of Tampa's Global Imaging Systems Inc.
William F. Ohrt, on the other hand, abides by the no-gun policy at Walter Industries Inc. in Tampa where he is chief financial officer, even though Ohrt, like Johnson, has a concealed weapon permit.

Former Pinellas County Sheriff Everett Rice, who is now a state House member and Republican candidate for attorney general, likes to keep people guessing.

"Everywhere I go, people say, 'Are you carrying a gun, sheriff?' " said Rice, who does not have a concealed weapon permit. "I say, 'You just keep wondering.' "

Starting two weeks from today, the public will have no choice but to wonder whether bosses, neighbors or politicians are packing heat. Thanks to a bill passed by the Legislature and signed by Gov. Jeb Bush this month, the identity of concealed weapon permit holders will become exempt from the state's public records law July 1.

There is no public database of firearms owners in Florida. However until July 1, the names and addresses of people licensed to carry concealed weapons are made public upon request.

About 380,000 Floridians have a permit to carry concealed weapons, with the number of new permits up substantially since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. So far this year, more than 50,000 first-time permits have been approved, more than double the number in 2001.

Marion Hammer, the National Rifle Association's lobbyist in Tallahassee, said applications will rocket even higher once the database of permit holders is closed to the public.

"It's going to go up considerably now that people know they won't see their name, address and birth date in the newspaper or on a TV station's Web site if they apply," she said.

High-profile permit-holders in Florida include: Charles Bronson, head of the state's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, which issues the permits; retired Gen. Tommy Franks, who now sits on the board of Outback Steakhouse's corporate parent; Tampa Bay Buccaneer Dan Buenning; and Donald J. Trump Jr., son of the real estate developer.

Though Senate candidate and U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris took the course required for a concealed weapon permit, the paperwork has yet to be filed. Of the five members of the U.S. House who represent parts of the Tampa Bay area, one has a permit: Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite, R-Brooksville. She got a permit after an incident while she was a state senator and awoke to several young men rocking her car at a parking lot in Chiefland about midnight on a drive to Tallahassee.

Barbara Petersen, president of the First Amendment Foundation in Tallahassee, an organization supported by newspapers including the St. Petersburg Times, said her group has no problem with people's right to carry concealed weapons.

"But this new law has nothing whatsoever to do with the right to own a gun," she said. "It has everything to do with the public's right to make sure the state is doing what it should be doing in giving concealed weapon permits only to those people who have jumped through all the hoops to obtain that special right."

Though Democratic state senator and candidate for attorney general Walter "Skip" Campbell of Fort Lauderdale voted for closing access to the permit database, he said he now feels otherwise.

"I think those records should be open," said Campbell, who got a permit to carry a 9mm Beretta after receiving death threats a few years ago. "Maybe it's better people know; then they won't try to mess with me."

Many concealed weapon permit holders, however, agree with the NRA, which lobbied vigorously for the bill's passage.

Tom Gallagher, Florida's chief financial officer and the only gubernatorial candidate with a concealed weapon permit, declined to discuss how often he carries a gun, or what kind. "It's good to have sensitive information private," he said.

State Rep. Randy Johnson, R-Celebration, the only candidate for Florida's chief financial officer with a permit and a veteran of nine years in the Navy, was likewise circumspect. "I exercise my right not to share that with anyone," Johnson said when asked what kind of gun he carries and when.

For Ohrt, the executive with Walter Industries, it's a matter of following the rules.

"If you've been to the instructional class, you know the No. 1 rule is never to discuss it (the concealed weapon permit) with anyone, anytime," he said. "It's a potential irritant and might make people feel uncomfortable."

Other executives were more candid about their rationale for getting the permits. Peter Vosotas, president and chief executive of Nicholas Financial Inc. in Clearwater, said he has had a permit to carry a Smith & Wesson .38 caliber revolver for about six years.

"We have offices throughout the state of Florida, and I'm often in the car alone at night," Vosotas said. "I felt it would be nice to have an extra measure of safety. And I like this gun because you just pull the trigger like in the Roy Rogers movies."

Global Imaging's Johnson began carrying a concealed weapon several years ago, when the public company he founded was increasingly in the news and Tampa was getting a reputation for carjacking.

"I carry it in my car loaded, and I bring it into work," said Johnson, a former Marine who called himself a "trained killer." "I don't know if any of my employees are armed, but if they have a military and shooting background, that's okay."

Johnson, who said his Walther PPK was the same model carried by the fictional spy James Bond, was pleased access to the permit holder database will be closed. But he doesn't think the availability of that information made him more or less of a target.

"I don't think the bad guys get on the Internet to see if I have a weapon," he said.

Times researcher Caryn Baird contributed to this report. Kris Hundley can be reached at hundley@sptimes.com or (727) 892-2996. Alex Leary can be reached at aleary@sptimes.com or (850) 224-7263.

For information
Until July 1, the public can find out whether an individual holds a concealed weapon permit by making a written request to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing, P.O. Box 6687, Tallahassee FL 32314-6687, Attn: Marsha Stroud. After July 1, access to the database will be closed to the public.

Look who's packing

A sampling of politicians, businessmen and others with concealed weapon permits:

State Sen. Nancy Argenziano, R-Crystal River

Bob Basham, director and co-founder, OSI (Outback Steakhouse)

Charles Bronson, Florida agriculture commissioner

Dan Buenning, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

State Sen. Walter "Skip" Campbell, D-Coral Springs, candidate for attorney general

Gerry Chastelet, director, Technology Research Corp. and former CEO of Digital Lightwave

Barry A. Cohen, lawyer

Tommy Franks, director, OSI

Florida Chief Financial Officer Tom Gallagher, candidate for governor

State Rep. Randy Johnson, R-Celebration, candidate for state CFO

Thomas S. Johnson, CEO, Global Imaging

State Sen. Ken Littlefield, R-Zephyrhills

Walter Ohrt, CFO, Walter Industries

Donald Trump Jr.

Nicholas Vosotas, CEO, Nicholas Financial

Peter Warhurst, CEO, PODS

U.S. Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite, R-Crystal River

[Last modified June 17, 2006, 08:39:50]

Comments

• spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Why on earth would this information Ever be available For the Public,
    Anywhere..???
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of states where the info is public...some were changed in 2003....
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The same reason that your drivers' lic. info is public.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. quote:Charles Bronson, Florida agriculture commissioner
    ????????????

Is his acting career huring that much?

2. I think it's a great idea to have it available to the public. If criminals check it, they'll be that much less likely to try and rob me or my residence.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Its NOT that Charles Bronson.....
  • Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ohio CCW permit holders' names are all on file. Any Kathy Couric wannabe can do an expose on who has one one, for the children, of course.
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    It makes no sense that the names of permit holders are published. That puts them at risk from the nutcases that steal guns for a living.

I have no idea what the rules are in Oregon and Washington state, I hold permits in both states, but I sure would like to find out. How would one go about getting this data?
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"I think those records should be open," said Campbell, who got a permit to carry a 9mm Beretta after receiving death threats a few years ago. "Maybe it's better people know; then they won't try to mess with me."

or they now know for sure to shoot you first, wouldn't it be better if a criminal thought everyone was packing vs. eliminating those that do as a victim?
  • yawarakaiyawarakai Member Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger2005
    Ohio CCW permit holders' names are all on file. Any Kathy Couric wannabe can do an expose on who has one one, for the children, of course.

Ohio permit holders are published online by the Cleveland Plain Dealer every month.
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yawarakai
    quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger2005

Ohio permit holders are published online by the Cleveland Plain Dealer every month.

My God! Thats the local newspaper? What the heck are they thinking?
    I hope you write to them and complain!
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hope other states follow that did the same thing