In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1,200fp energy required for deer hunting ?

goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
edited December 2005 in General Discussion
I just found out in Maryland, a rifle has to have at least 1200 foot pounds muzzle energy to be legal for deer hunting. But you can hunt with a pistol making at least 700fp.

I've been hunting with an old Ruger 44 Carbine, am I in compliance with the law? A new guy in our club says I'm not, several other guys agree with me and think I'm OK. Am I ?

Any opinions ?

Comments

• Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your fine, a 240 grain 44 mag out of a 20in bbl is moving at about 1750fps creating about 1600 ft/lbs at the muzzle

Neo-Jedi Order

th_reblogo.gif

th_israel-army_03.gif

th_22987.jpgMWC
    '05
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by young n dum
    your fine, a 240 grain 44 mag out of a 20in bbl is moving at about 1750fps creating about 1600 ft/lbs at the muzzle

Neo-Jedi Order

th_reblogo.gif

th_israel-army_03.gif

th_22987.jpgMWC
    '05

I don't know?! Here is Remington's ballistics information for the 44mag. I think this if from a Revolver. Don't know if the 20" barrel will increase the energy enough.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/results/default.aspx?type=pistol&cal=16

"Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it." - Me

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/

EMCFRtn.jpgEMT.jpgCERTnew.jpg
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    pulled my info directly off federal's site......#'s are good

Neo-Jedi Order

th_reblogo.gif

th_israel-army_03.gif

th_22987.jpgMWC
    '05
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldslammer
    I just found out in Maryland, a rifle has to have at least 1200 foot pounds muzzle energy to be legal for deer hunting. But you can hunt with a pistol making at least 700fp.

I've been hunting with an old Ruger 44 Carbine, am I in compliance with the law? A new guy in our club says I'm not, several other guys agree with me and think I'm OK. Am I ?

Any opinions ?

I think I should point out that this rule makes no sense.

Why should you need more energy from a rifle than from a pistol for the same task?

Because you're going to try to take a harder (ie further) shot with a rifle? I don't "get" it.
  • Options
    AdironduckAdironduck Member Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember, it's Maryland.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    pulled my info directly off federal's site......#'s are good

Neo-Jedi Order

th_reblogo.gif

th_israel-army_03.gif

th_22987.jpgMWC
    '05

Hell, as long as someone says it's good....it's good for me.

"Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it." - Me

• Options
    edited November -1
    sorry if that came out high and mighty cubs......im just not smart enought to post a link to the federal cartrifge website.....[:D] but they give data for a 240 pill out of a 20in bbl

Neo-Jedi Order

th_reblogo.gif

th_israel-army_03.gif

th_22987.jpgMWC
    '05
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    quote:Originally posted by goldslammer

Any opinions ?

It really does not make much sense. why not establish minimum standard and make it a standard. I guess the thinking is that a long arm will be used to take a longer shot and therefore needs more muzzle energy. What it really needs is energy on the target. At long enough range velocity will drop enough to bring 1200 fpounds of muzzle energy back down to 700fpounds. A pistol with 700fpounds of energy at muzzle might be back down to 400 fpounds at 100 yards.

I think I should point out that this rule makes no sense.

Why should you need more energy from a rifle than from a pistol for the same task?

Because you're going to try to take a harder (ie further) shot with a rifle? I don't "get" it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Young-n-dumb. I'm shooting a 240gr soft point, and I hunt in thick brush on the Eastern Shore of Md. where my longest shot will be about 50 yards.

images%5C49064.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On rifle vs. pistol, one could easily argue that since a rifle is more accurate and lends to better shot placement, you should need LESS (not more) energy to hunt with a rifle.

And of course no bow and arrow is going to generate 500 foot pounds of energy, though arguably the one inch wide broadheads punch a pretty clean hole.

I'm not against these standards; in priniciple I think they are a good idea. I just think they should make sense.

Of course hunting deer with a 9mm should absolutely be permitted under any circumstance. [;)]
  • Options
    Shadow62Shadow62 Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anything less than 600 ft lbs. is not legal in
    Missouri to hunt Deer.

Shadow62

quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    On rifle vs. pistol, one could easily argue that since a rifle is more accurate and lends to better shot placement, you should need LESS (not more) energy to hunt with a rifle.

And of course no bow and arrow is going to generate 500 foot pounds of energy, though arguably the one inch wide broadheads punch a pretty clean hole.

I'm not against these standards; in priniciple I think they are a good idea. I just think they should make sense.

Of course hunting deer with a 9mm should absolutely be permitted under any circumstance. [;)]

look and you will see
    listen and you shall hear
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Is this determined per cartridge/caliber or per load used? This law does not make a lot of sense because it utilizes the potential energy of a particular caliber and not the actual load used.I think we all know that factory ammo rarely meets the published data on it especially in short barrel guns. There are many calibers that may make the energy with one load but not another. In theory it is a good idea but it is not a practical law to enforce.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    goldslammer, where do you hunt on the shore? I hunt all over from dorchester to wicomico counties[;)]

The answer is because a pistol will not generally be used to take a 100yd shot, more like 30yds or less, where the rifle can be stretched out a lot more. The difference in energy requirements has to do with the average distance at which shots are taken with each weapon respectively. And, yes you are legal with that rifle.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knida like PAs rulkes regarding rifles for deer season[:D] Keepin it simple! Onlt restrictions I see is the minimum cal for muzzleloaders[:D]

REGULATIONS
    Arms & Ammunition
    General Statewide Seasons: 1) Manually operated centerfire rifles,
    handguns and shotguns with all lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed
    to expand on impact; 2) muzzleloading long guns 44-caliber
    or larger; and 3) long, recurve, compound or crossbows with
    broadheads of cutting-edge design. Buckshot is illegal, except in
    Southeast Special Regulations Area.
    Archery Seasons: Long, recurve and compound bows with
    broadheads of cutting-edge design. Crossbows permitted for deer
    in WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D. Persons hunting deer in the archery
    seasons may not possess a firearm of any type.
    Flintlock Muzzleloader Season: Flintlock ignition, single-barrel
    long gun, 44-caliber or larger, using single projectile ammunition.
    Iron, open #147;V#148; or notch sights only. Fiber optic inserts permitted.
    Crossbows permitted, but users must have a muzzleloader stamp.
    October Antlerless Muzzleloader Season: Any muzzleloader long
    gun with flintlock, percussion or in-line ignition, 44-caliber or larger.
    Scope sights permitted. Crossbows permitted, but users must have
    a muzzleloader stamp.
    Special Regulations Areas: (All of Allegheny County in western
    Pennsylvania and all of Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery
    and Philadelphia counties in the southeast): Muzzleloading long
    guns 44-caliber or larger, bows and arrows, manual or autoloading
    shotguns .410 or larger using slugs and 20-gauge or larger using
    buckshot. Buckshot may not be used in Allegheny County. Only
    bows and arrows are permitted in Philadelphia County. Crossbows
    with a draw weight of at least 125 pounds, but not more than 200
    pounds may be used during the regular firearms deer seasons, including
    the antlerless deer season Dec. 26-Jan. 14, in WMU 2B &
    and Dec. 12-23 & Dec. 26-Jan. 28 in WMUs 5C & 5D.

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Claim that they're reloads, and bring data along. They would never go to all the trouble to prove that you're guilty of not having enough energy, unless it was painfully obvious.

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg
  • Options
    Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just looked it up on Remington Shoot and at 100 yards the 44 with a Rem. 240 grain soft point fired from a 20 inch barrel has 1,014 FT.Lbs of energy at 100 yards.
    So then i checked it at 5 yards and it put out 1612.
    You are good to go.

mike
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Va.your handgun must have a muzzle energy rateing of 350 FT Pounds.Which makes the 9MM legal to hunt White Tail Deer.[?]

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nighthawk
    Here in Va.your handgun must have a muzzle energy rateing of 350 FT Pounds.Which makes the 9MM legal to hunt White Tail Deer.[?]

"Toujours Pret"

that's why 9mms have such large magazine capacity. See, if you shoot the deer four times with a 9mm, it's just the same as once with a .44 magnum (350fpx4=1400fp)
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7mm nut

REGULATIONS
    Arms & Ammunition
    General Statewide Seasons: 1) Manually operated centerfire rifles,
    handguns and shotguns with all lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed
    to expand on impact; 2) muzzleloading long guns 44-caliber
    or larger; and 3) long, recurve, compound or crossbows with
    broadheads of cutting-edge design. Buckshot is illegal, except in
    Southeast Special Regulations Area.

What the heck do they mean by Manually operated?

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Really strange rule,to me.[:0] Already been said but,...does the
    muzzle FPE mean,at muzzle? Not shot too many deer at a range of 2in. Again its been said but all rnds. loose FPS & FPE rapidly after leaving the muzzle. Same cal. w/differnt weight bullets, all would be differnt in FPS & FPE loss,...not withstanding the barrel length. Geez, a truely ambiguous rule...kinda like "offensive holding" rule...call it when they want to...[:)]

"their in front of us,their behind us,their to our left,and to our right...they cant get away from us now boys!"
  • Options
    Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well i read in some hunting magazine once where some state has a rule that if the gun was not capable of delivering at least 1400 Ft.Lbs. of energy at 100 yards then it was not legal to use.
    Anyone know where that might be??

mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hughbetcha
    quote:Originally posted by Nighthawk

"Toujours Pret"

that's why 9mms have such large magazine capacity. See, if you shoot the deer four times with a 9mm, it's just the same as once with a .44 magnum (350fpx4=1400fp)

Well, another way to look at it is you can bag up to 15 deer without having to reload. [;)]

A bit more seriously, a limit of 350 ft-lbs basically means any handgun bigger than a .38 special would be OK.

Also, I bet you could get over 500 foot pounds out of a 9mm carbine using +P or carbine rounds.

41.jpg02patriots.gifsox.jpg
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    goldslammer, where do you hunt on the shore? I hunt all over from dorchester to wicomico counties[;)]

Got Balistics?

I belong to a club that leases some land in Cambridge, up off Dailsville road. Good Goose and Turkey hunting, not the best for Deer though. (got skunked this year)[V]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father in law has a farm on Taylors island and I also rent property in Linkwood. I actually grew up down the road (rt343) from dailsville rd. Maybe we should hookk up during deer/waterfowl season when you are coming down.

I also lived in baltimore until I was 12.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry if that came out high and mighty cubs......im just not smart enought to post a link to the federal cartrifge website.....[:D] but they give data for a 240 pill out of a 20in bbl

Neo-Jedi Order

th_reblogo.gif

th_israel-army_03.gif

th_22987.jpgMWC
    '05

It's all good man