In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Good start to the GB Softball Season

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
The Jerseys came out different than the mock ups, no "shocking donkey". It's fine with me, the logo was good, but immature.

2-0 to start the season, 10 run ruled our last opponent and we've only been firing on 5 of 8 cylinders. The team is getting settled in and should be 100% by mid week. Looks like a good year, but we have some very tough teams ahead of us yet.

Upcoming Tournaments...

- Cystic Fibrosis fundraiser in Kentland, IN. 2 day tournament June 6th, 7th. Winners get points in a pool to be added with points from 4 other tournies to determine "series" winners.

- Crawfordsville Strawberry Festival in Crawfordsville, IN. June 12th, 13th, 14th. One of the biggest shows we'll attend. 50-60 teams, National Softball Association World Qualifier. 3 Day tournament.

I've been the utility man for our first 2 games. I start at Second Base, but our 3rd Basemen has been out and will return this week.

Here are a couple pictures from our first game (yes they're of me).

May--2009007.jpg
May--2009009.jpg
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice look, good luck this season.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,025 ******
    edited November -1
    Pull your pants up!
    Serously, you guys look sharp. Good luck this season.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    The Jerseys came out different than the mock ups, no "shocking donkey". It's fine with me, the logo was good, but immature.

Admin not go for it? [:p]
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    What kind of TRUE Cub fan wouldn't be wearing #23? [:D][:D][:o)][:o)]
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys!

quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Pull your pants up!
    Serously, you guys look sharp. Good luck this season.

Pants are where they are supposed to be, the shirt is loosely tucked in and hangs over a bit so you can't see the top of the pants (red belts).

Admin didn't seem to have a problem with the logo, the team grew up a bit and decided against it.

The plan from here is to walk through a couple tournies, set the rest of the money we need for future tournies this year ($800) aside and put the rest towards fully sublimated jerseys with completely custom logos done by www.shirtsandlogos.com

It's been a tough year with our sponsors, a few have dropped out and we're footing our own bill for now.

If anyone wants a jersey, I can probably get them done for $30 each-shipped.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    What kind of TRUE Cub fan wouldn't be wearing #23? [:D][:D][:o)][:o)]

Ha, 23 was taken.

I started out at 16 and stayed with it...lol
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dood!

Glad to hear from you!

I gather your elbow is doing better.

[:D]
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Cubs we are 0-2 right now and struggling.. Im looking fo rthe best slow pitch bat I can buy thats legal.. What do you suggest ?
  • big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    why you swinging that asa bat? is that what you guys play?
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    [img]http://usera.ImageCave.com/burdz19/5-16-09 006.JPG[/img]

Cubbie, got this handed to my by Ryno in 84 after batting practice; not much to look at but well I was 12 and- I always wore #23 after that [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by big geno
    why you swinging that asa bat? is that what you guys play?

That ASA Catalyst is spiderwebbing and is downright nasty. I also swing a Demarini Juggernaut, and White Steel at times.

We play ASA in League, but numerous USSSA and NSA tournies.

MFI, you play USSSA/NSA or ASA? You have time to break it in, or needs something that will be broken in quick?

ASA - Combat AntiVirus, Worth Jeff Hall Mutant, or Rip It Reaper if you need it broken in quickly.

Miken Recoil, Easton Synergy Flex or Extended (Original '05), Worth Jeff Hall M798, or ASA Catalyst if you have time to break it in (800+ cuts).

UTrip - Miken Psycho, Combat Plague, Worth Resmondo Titan or Mutant, or Mizuno Frenzy (fragile). The Utrip Eastons will take a bit to break in, but are great.

Doug, elbow is doing good, still can't toss 100% unless absolutely necessary. Doc has me on some anti-inflammatories.
    edited November -1
    Did play mostly utrip,but pretty much retired now.Played in a 40 and over league up till last year,couldn't get enough guys this year.[V]
    edited November -1
    Did play mostly utrip,but pretty much retired now.Played in a 40 and over league up till last year,couldn't get enough guys this year.[V]

Damn, sucks Geno, I'll be the guy in my 60's playing with kids in their 20's. I just can't stop playing.
    edited November -1
    Yea,i really miss it sometimes......sometimes not all, the aches and pains that is lol.I think the most i played was about 300 games one year counting leagues.I still have a good friend that plays major his name is kevin filby he plays for GTL. So he keeps me up to speed on things.Did you ever watch the games on softball kingdom?
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Damn, sucks Geno, I'll be the guy in my 60's playing with kids in their 20's. I just can't stop playing.
    *dials 911*
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea its in my blood too Cubs, Ill play forever. ASA by the way and Jack Hillerich the 4th from Hillerich and Bradsby(Louisville Slugger) for those who dont know is a good friend of mine so I'd like to go with a Louisville Slugger if possible..
    edited November -1
    Louisville Slugger really doesn't produce a ton of ASA bats anymore.

The Catalyst I have is easily one of the 5 best ASA bats of all time. I know where you can get used ones, but you won't find one new in the wrapper (they're from 2005).

I believe they have a new ASA Triton which has gotten mixed reviews. The 2008 Green Nexus is just OK. If you can find a Red Voltage model number SA73V (Sports Authority), it's worth picking up and are very good bats.

If you want a top performing ASA bat and don't want to search for a Catalyst, you'll have to look away from LS. I hate to say it because I love LS and the Catalyst (I'll seriously cry when it blows up).

Check out http://www.softballfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8 if you are looking to buy a bat. You'll find MUCH better deals on here than anywhere else!

BTW, if they ever want any bats demo'd or reviewed, let me know! We've been testing some products by www.evilsports.com for a little while. If you haven't had a chance to hit one of their balls (especially the ASA balls) you owe it to yourself to check them out.
    What balls do you hit in your leagues?
  • HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Louisville Slugger really doesn't produce a ton of ASA bats anymore.

The Catalyst I have is easily one of the 5 best ASA bats of all time. I know where you can get used ones, but you won't find one new in the wrapper (they're from 2005).

I believe they have a new ASA Triton which has gotten mixed reviews. The 2008 Green Nexus is just OK. If you can find a Red Voltage model number SA73V (Sports Authority), it's worth picking up and are very good bats.

If you want a top performing ASA bat and don't want to search for a Catalyst, you'll have to look away from LS. I hate to say it because I love LS and the Catalyst (I'll seriously cry when it blows up).

Check out http://www.softballfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8 if you are looking to buy a bat. You'll find MUCH better deals on here than anywhere else!

BTW, if they ever want any bats demo'd or reviewed, let me know! We've been testing some products by www.evilsports.com for a little while. If you haven't had a chance to hit one of their balls (especially the ASA balls) you owe it to yourself to check them out.
    What balls do you hit in your leagues?
    Hey Cubs, if you ever come across a Demarini "b52" from around 99'-2000' year model and it's up for sale let me know, thanks.
    edited November -1
    I've seen em for sale. Let me look.
    edited November -1
    Next up...

www.streetkidssouth.com