In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I worked a pricey wreck today

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
So I arrived at a motor vehicle collision, car vs pole. This lady while looking down at her car stereo went straight instead of left as she should have into a pole. The pole flexed under the weight of holding two transformers and snapped off at about the 20 foot mark. The two transformers blew apart when they hit the ground and caused a spill of oil containing PCBs that went straight into a storm drain and then creek about 300 yards away. Major HAZMAT mess. Between the phone company, power company, Fire Dept and the private contractor that will all be out there in excess of 12 hours cleaning this up they were saying her bill will top $150K for this clean up. [:0] Hope she doesn't have the minimum coverage.

Comments

• Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought all those line transformers had the PCB based oils removed years ago?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guns-n-painthorses
    I thought all those line transformers had the PCB based oils removed years ago?

Dunno, just going off what they said. The transformers were old, had no markings and the Power Co said they couldn't tell what the fluid was. They were confident it was not mineral oil as they are using now. So they are proceeding as though it is PCBs.

PCBs or not she's gonna be billed for them.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    PCB's is BS!! Unless the transf. is 25 years or older.
    If so,somebody got some splainin to do.....
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, in South Carolina the minimum coverage is $25K.
    So if that is what she has, the state will be after her for over a hundred grand. Of course that depends on whether she has any assets or not. Can't get blood from a turnip.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    may sound high
    but like most truckers can attest , many loads of goods are well over .
    where I use to work we would ship trailer loads of parts , engines and transmissions to the frame plant and trailer loaded with new cars from there it does not take much to eat up a insurance policy if you count the truck trailer and contents
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    may sound high
    but like most truckers can attest , many loads of goods are well over .
    where I use to work we would ship trailer loads of parts , engines and transmissions to the frame plant and trailer loaded with new cars from there it does not take much to eat up a insurance policy if you count the truck trailer and contents

Trucks carry a minimum of $750,000 liability and a large percentage carry $1,000,000. That is just liabilty and lawyers know it which is why everyone sues truckin companies regardless of fault. Cargo insurance, not supposed to carry freight valued higher than the insurance, when I was with T-Car I hauled tons of Compaq computers, high value loads that required tons of signatures to pick up along with truck tracking and desinated routes. Also could not leave the truck unattended or stop within the first 150 miles of loading. Most of the rules were carrier rules but Compaq had several to follow as well.

As far as the wreck in the OP, just blame a truck, thats what everyone else does [B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nope, no truck involved...just a car and a utility pole with some expensive stuff attached to it. I tell you what, there are some angry restaurant owners because they have no power tonight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Nope, no truck involved...just a car and a utility pole with some expensive stuff attached to it. I tell you what, there are some angry restaurant owners because they have no power tonight.

If she was smart she would have blamed a truck and got away with it because if a car driver mentions truck it becomes an open and shut investigation. Trucks are killers and do not belong on the roads with the innocent public, you know that officer sir.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well it wasn't on a highway, and there were plenty of witnesses so that wouldn't work. Though I would have considered it because truck drivers are bags and all deserve to go to prison.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Right along with trigger happy donut eating jackbooted cops.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    Right along with trigger happy donut eating jackbooted cops.

It worked out well for Ole Lavoy. [;)]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our company moves our portable drill rigs on lowboys. If you want to run into one of our trailers, you might note that is a $360,000 drill rig sitting on it.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Boys Boys
    Do we Have a Conflict Here[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    Boys Boys
    Do we Have a Conflict Here[;)]

It's all good, ol Shilo doesnt take me serious [:D]
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some years ago a local woman, mid-50's, who had NEVER had an accident or ticket before, pulled out of a parking space and right smack dab into a Lamborghini that was being test-driven. The Lamborghini driver was not speeding, the woman was totally at fault, it wasn't a really bad accident, but the insurance company was going to have to pay a HUGE sum for the body work on the Lambo. Of all the cars to hit. . .
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:... two transformers blew apart when they hit the ground and caused a spill of oil containing PCBs...

PCB's have been banned in Transformers since 1979 and in 1983 they begin to remove transformers with PCB's and replacing them. The old ones were usually an olive green or black in color and the replacements are tan or an off white.

You can still find a few old transformers around here in hard to reach area (up rough hollows) . But they are all in places where the houses has been abandoned before the retrofitting began.

Sounds like some scamming going on between the HAZMAT people and the private contractor.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    edited November -1
    Well I hope she found her radio station,,[:0][:0]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    quote:... two transformers blew apart when they hit the ground and caused a spill of oil containing PCBs...

PCB's have been banned in Transformers since 1979 and in 1983 they begin to remove transformers with PCB's and replacing them. The old ones were usually an olive green or black in color and the replacements are tan or an off white.

You can still find a few old transformers around here in hard to reach area (up rough hollows) . But they are all in places where the houses has been abandoned before the retrofitting began.

Sounds like some scamming going on between the HAZMAT people and the private contractor.
    That was the point I got ignored on.
    I totally agree with you.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Well I hope she found her radio station,,[:0][:0]
    She was probably texting [;)], thought if she said she was looking at the stereo she'd somehow get a free pass [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1

It is funny how folks here always assume the worst, that government officials are out to take advantage. For clarification purposes let me state that my job there had nothing to do with any of the hazard, clean up etc. I worked the wreck and the Fire Dept has command of the scene itself. Once the Power Co was unable to identify what fluid that spilled that Fire Dept by their rules and best practices are required to treat it as the most dangerous of the potential fluids used in transformers by their HAZMAT book. Had the Power Co. Supervisor that was on scene said "oh yeah it is mineral oil, serviced in on such and such date" they'd have soaked it up with stay dry and we have left. The Fire Commander that was on scene has no vested interest in whether a major clean up was done, in fact his day would have been much less stressful had it not been a HAZMAT incident.

So I saw no evidence of any collusion or attempt to perpetrate fraud. This lady caused a huge mess and by the nature of the damage. That utility pole with the two transformers probably cost well over $60K to replace on its own, along with the 6 or so downed power lines, plus phone lines and cable lines.
  • Options
    edited November -1

AEP had several on their bosses there and we were unable to tell what had been in those transformers, and could not say they didn't contain PCBs so that tells me that their must be quite a few transformers still out there that contain that stuff. Otherwise they'd have said we don't used PCBs anymore, and that grey one doesn't contain it. If it isn't PCBs it is probably still toxic to the environment.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did the exact same thing around 25 years ago. If I would not have hit the transformer pole I would have been buying a bunch of Zenith TV's.