In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Plastic Bottles of Water

asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
I simply detest buying this stuff. Am I behind times or what[:0]

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    I simply detest buying this stuff. Am I behind times or what[:0]

I saw that a lot in Africa and Asia, but here in the states, we have indoor plumbing. A turn of a tap and I can have a much water as a lake right into my house. [:p]
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems like some of that bottled water is more expensive than gasoline. I heard a comedian commenting on how he likes the fact that Evian spelled backward is Na?ve. Kinda ironic. [:D]
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The house I grew up in had a cistern with a pump.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gave in [B)]
    for years and even still I think its a huge money maker for the company's some even state its tap water ran thru a filter .
    I refused to buy any for years , however a few years back I started buying the "house brands read as cheap ) cases of 36/ 48 or what ever the large packs are . it just got convenient to take along on trips or fle market days just walking around .
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    The house I grew up in had a cistern with a pump.

If the pump had a motor you were living high on the hog. When I visited my grandparents we had to crank the water out of the cistern. There was a chain with tiny buckets attached to it.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******
    edited November -1
    I have to agree that buying water is one of the oxymoron's in my life these days! I live on a giant peninsula surrounded by fresh water!

When we moved into our new home, my darling MRS. complained that the water tastes funny out of the tap. So, I bought a filter system.
    Still tastes funny! She says![:(]

I now pick up a couple cases of Aquafina or the other D brand every time I hit the supermarket. Usually around 5 bucks a case unless on sale for a buck cheaper.

I still drink my tap water but keeping her happy keeps me happy!

I did notice a few months ago how thin the new bottles of Aquafina have become. They are so thin that they can barely stand up unsupported. A whoosh of air from my dog running by will knock em down!
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure the hell I'm not gonna buy bottled water when I've got a faucet full of it at home. I save all my empty Snapple bottles, fill them up with water and store them in the fridge. I've got all the Cold water I want and it is better out of a glass any way.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******
    edited November -1
    One of the reasons I commented on the thin Aquafina bottles is I had a diabolical plan to just secretly refill the empties with my filtered tap water![:0]

They are just not heavy duty enough to carry out my evil epiphany![}:)][:(!]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy bottled water only when it's on sale (really cheap). We're on rural water now and even though I have a potable water well, I keep enough bottled water to make coffee in case the water system fails.
    In the summer, I keep water bottles in the freezer to take on work runs so I have a cold drink and have a cooler for groceries I might buy on the way home.
    I quit using a water jug after the Grandkids infected Son's whole family with some sort of oral germ from drinking from a communal spout.
    Right now, we have approx 3 cases(72 x 12 ounce)in the store room. Just in case.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    COSTCO has it cheap. I use/rotate the SHTF supply. Usually have a six pack cooler filled and ready for the road.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can refill/reuse water bottles, but not a good idea to keep them very long. As Mobuck points out, you can get some nasty bacterial infections from water containers. Even with the small bottles, & even if you are the only one using them.

If anyone has ever taken a food handler's certification course, there are even bacteria that thrive in ice machines. (That's why you don't scoop ice with a cup, & you don't leave the ice scoop in the ice.)

To make the Boss happy, I throw used plastic in the recycle bin when I am finished with them.

Neal
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend works for the local water company. Says many of the bottled waters have more germs in parts per million ppm than tap water...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the flavored water, wild berry and orange so I buy bottled water, the add a flavor stuff just doesn't taste the same.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    My friend works for the local water company. Says many of the bottled waters have more germs in parts per million ppm than tap water...

Little if any chlorine in the bottled water to keep germs from growing, especially after the water is exposed to air or your lips, like removing the cap/lid then replacing the lid. That is one reason why the bottled water should be consumed after the lid/cap has been removed. (another good reason to drink alcoholic beverages or whiskey instead)[;)]
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    600% mark up on the 5 gallon jugs.