In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

woodworking question

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
I have a pine log from our yard that I'm turning into an art piece. I stripped the bark and uncovered a beautiful maze of beetle trails, and I'm ready to now preserve the piece.

Do I need to stain the wood first before applying a clear poly coat? Or will the poly perform the same preservation task without the stain underneath?

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,282 ******
    edited November -1
    Well, stain is usually only added if you want to change the color of the wood. Yes, there are clear stains, but I have never really seen the point.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The poly coat will seal it but if you want it darker, stain it first, then put the polyethylene on. It will take several coats to seal it.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think u will find that pine doesn't take stain very well. also i don't know how long u have dried this piece but if not done properly it will crack on you. be best to seal the ends with wax and put away somewhere dry for about a year.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by varian
    i think u will find that pine doesn't take stain very well. also i don't know how long u have dried this piece but if not done properly it will crack on you. be best to seal the ends with wax and put away somewhere dry for about a year.

It's been drying for a year, which is how it got all the beetle abuse! :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 320090T
    The poly coat will seal it but if you want it darker, stain it first, then put the polyethylene on. It will take several coats to seal it.

OK, that's what I thought, and no, I didn't want it darker, so I was going to use a clear stain if necessary.

Thanks!
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where are the beetles now? If you're bringing it in , its something to consider.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by notnow
    Where are the beetles now? If you're bringing it in , its something to consider.

I'm pretty sure I got all the grubs. If not... I think the poly seal will do them in (I'm hoping).
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Preserve the piece"? Why not just leave it age naturally?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    "Preserve the piece"? Why not just leave it age naturally?

Good things are better when wet. [:p] Or at least look wet. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

If you have the type of beatle(kill) that kills millions of trees in Colorado every year you might want to have part or all of the log sawed into planks for various projects.

Thanks for the heads up. This log is from a healthy tree we took down (among a few others) in our yard. All of the trees were healthy, and we did inspect for beetle kill among all the trees.

The beetles in this particular log came once it was cut down and sitting dormant outside to dry. Hopefully I got them all...
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callktulu
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

If you have the type of beatle(kill) that kills millions of trees in Colorado every year you might want to have part or all of the log sawed into planks for various projects.

Thanks for the heads up. This log is from a healthy tree we took down (among a few others) in our yard. All of the trees were healthy, and we did inspect for beetle kill among all the trees.

The beetles in this particular log came once it was cut down and sitting dormant outside to dry. Hopefully I got them all...

If the log is small enough then throw a tarp over it and seal the edges to the ground as good as you can then throw a couple of bug bombs in with the log. Let it sit for a coupls days and you should get the beetles.
    Pine is very porous and will take the finish differently in different places leading to a blotchy look. Hitting it with a coat of sanding sealer or a natural stain prior to the poly will help reduce the blotching.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Pine is very porous and will take the finish differently in different places leading to a blotchy look. Hitting it with a coat of sanding sealer or a natural stain prior to the poly will help reduce the blotching.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can make your own stain with tea. That's how violins are initially treated (traditionally) between "in the white" and varnish.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    UGH! So, apparently there are still active beetles (and/or grubs) still int he wood, because this morning there's a nice small pile of sawdust (beetledust?) below the log.

So how do I get rid of them?[xx(][?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    UGH! So, apparently there are still active beetles (and/or grubs) still int he wood, because this morning there's a nice small pile of sawdust (beetledust?) below the log.

See my post above.
  • Options
    edited November -1

See my post above.

Yeah, I saw that, but decided I was far, far too lazy to go to that kind of effort. Instead, I bought some insecticide and sprayed it on and in the beetle holes. It seemed to work pretty well, and the gloss poly I put on is making it look very nice. I'll post pics when it's all done.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That IS nice. Cool as 'ell the way the heartwood emerges from the top.

That would make one cool, one off, lamp.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy

Thanks! Never heard the term heartwood before. I assume that's when it grows around a dead material?
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Thanks! Never heard the term heartwood before. I assume that's when it grows around a dead material?

Heartwood is the inner dense wood of the log.
    https://media1.britannica.com/eb-media/80/65080-004-260A62CD.jpg

The dark wood in the center of your piece is heartwood while the outer, lighter colored wood is sapwood.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Heartwood is the inner dense wood of the log.
    https://media1.britannica.com/eb-media/80/65080-004-260A62CD.jpg

The dark wood in the center of your piece is heartwood while the outer, lighter colored wood is sapwood.

No, that's definitely not heartwood. If I had taken a "before" pic, you would see it was a dead branch growing out from the healthy wood, which broke off at some point. It's definitely not the center of the log.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Fire kills the bugs in the logs.....Oh, wait; never mind.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They used to scrap Cypress when bores got into it. Then they figured out the timber had a rather unique appearance and got a big premium for what they termed "Pecky Cypress"[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

Fire kills the bugs in the logs.....Oh, wait; never mind.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is heartwood in the piece. The dark spot in the middle of the branch. Biggest piece I saw is about 1 inch diameter.

That is a cool looking piece of wood, you are an artist!
    I think that a couple coats of polyurethane and it will be "Auf Wiedersehen" to the bugs. They will be all smothered if there are any left.
    Drying that for a year it ought to be dry, as small as the branches are I doubt you will get any splitting.

"The Beatles carry a type of fungus, in their mouth, that causes what is known as 'blue stain' or 'denim pine' ,,,,,,,,"

You mean Paul and Ringo? John and George have passed away.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the dark piece of wood, about 1 inch diameter, a vine, or is it a weird branch or what? The little tree is wrapped around it.

At any rate that is a cool piece of wood. A sculpture from Mother Nature.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Is the dark piece of wood, about 1 inch diameter, a vine, or is it a weird branch or what? The little tree is wrapped around it.

It's all 100% pine tree. The dark piece is not heartwood, it is without a doubt an older, dead branch around which the rest of the tree grew.

If you look closely or zoom in on the dark, long-dead piece, you can see miniature stumps where it once had branches. Those had long-since died and broken off, as well, leaving only the very base of themselves.

I did put about 4 or 5 coats of poly on, and it gives it a subtle and wet shine. The beetles are now all gone, I think. I haven't seen any fresh sawdust or other signs of their infestation.

As far a me being an artist....hardly. All I did was use a small chisel and hammer to remove the bark. Fortunately, the beetles did most of that work, as it sloughed off very easily due to their boring. All I did was a very light sanding and poly coats to preserve the colors.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't say the dark one inch piece is heartwood.

The heartwood is the little dark spots that are visible, right in the middle of the little trunks where the branches were sawed off.
    The heartwood in these branches is about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Perhaps you have heard the expression "heart pine." This used to be a common building material. This was the wood from the heart of the giant pine trees that we used to have in America. If you had, in 1880, a 4 foot diameter yellow pine tree, the heart might be 20 inches in diameter. So you could saw a 12 x 12 beam out of that, and it would be entirely heart wood.

Heart pine is very dense and packed with sap, is just about invulnerable to insects. You still see it used in flooring, most of it is a hundred years old, because there aren't any more 4 foot pine trees growing today that you can get decent heart wood from.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't say the dark one inch piece is heartwood.

The heartwood is the little dark spots that are visible, right in the middle of the little trunks where the branches were sawed off.
    The heartwood in these branches is about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Perhaps you have heard the expression "heart pine." This used to be a common building material. This was the wood from the heart of the giant pine trees that we used to have in America. If you had, in 1880, a 4 foot diameter yellow pine tree, the heart might be 20 inches in diameter. So you could saw a 12 x 12 beam out of that, and it would be entirely heart wood.

Heart pine is very dense and packed with sap, is just about invulnerable to insects. You still see it used in flooring, most of it is a hundred years old, because there aren't any more 4 foot pine trees growing today that you can get decent heart wood from.

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! OK, I follow you now! I apologize for misunderstanding. Thanks for the little bit of history and pine trivia, that's cool stuff!
    [:D][8D]

EDIT: It was asphalt cowboy who said the stick coming out of the top was heartwood.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I sort of agree with Allen. Just doesn't look right. This looks like a tree that grew around another tree or a dead branch or some such thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln

I sort of agree with Allen. Just doesn't look right. This looks like a tree that grew around another tree or a dead branch or some such thing.

That's sure what it looks like!
    Nice work, Callktulu!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln

That's sure what it looks like!
    Nice work, Callktulu!

Thank you! Since everyone is insisting it's art and I'm an artist, I decided to name the piece. I've decided to call it "A Hard Day's Night."

You know, because it was made by beetles, and they should be sleeping like a log....
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks cool. But dude, that's not a log, that's a stick.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    Looks cool. But dude, that's not a log, that's a stick.

The pine trees here (along Colorado's Front Range) rarely get big. And of the ones we were culling from our back yard, even smaller. It was a tree, and this was the main body of the tree, but nearer the top than the trunk.

And it's a little bigger than stick between my legs, therefore I categorize it as a log.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "You know, because it wad made by beetles, and they should be sleeping like a log...."

You are cracking me up. An artist and a poet.
  • Options
    edited November -1

"You know, because it wad made by beetles, and they should be sleeping like a log...."

You are cracking me up. An artist and a poet.

I do what I can. [;)][:D]