In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

who still uses

kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
Iron sights? I do on any hunt where shots are expected under 200 yds. I teach all my grandbabies and anyone the kids drag along how to use them and was wondering if anybody else does

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    ..on model 94 30-30,,[;)][;)][^][^]
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do because I can't afford to put a scope on everything! for speed and accuracy tho gotta have a red dot. however I was such a good shot with the SKS it almost did as well without one. way better than an AR. and it had the stock buckhorn sight. go figure. price: $0.00
  • drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    My first 30 years of deer hunting was through peeps and buckhorn sights. I still use buckhorns much of the time from .22s to .44 carbine. Optics are fun and useful but I still enjoy shooting the old guns with original sights.
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have (and shoot) "several" rifles with just original sights.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    ...but they don't quite work like they did 30yrs ago,,[:(][:(]
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of my rifles have Iron sights, maybe 10 have a scope or red dot.
  • yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stopped using iron sights when I had to choose between seeing clearly only one of the three: front sight, rear sight or target.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    had cataract surgery few years ago, so I can't use open sights anymore, I have 20-20 vision but from just about arms length in I need readers, it is just to hard to put readers on and try to get clear picture of sights then raise head to see target. I have a reddot on most of shotguns and my leveraction, scopes on rest, just about gave up pistol shooting...[V]
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes

I shoot 3 Gun and use Iron sights on my AR. I am faster with them and just about as accurate.

I use a scope on my hunting rifle, but the MZ loader has irons only(It would look funny to have a scope on a flintlock) and my 44 Magnum hunting 629 classic has no scope(I have used one on it but it makes it so hard to carry I find its not really worth it.
    RLTW

• pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't shoot a pistol with a scope mounted on it...I have several rifles with Iron sights only.....
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have doubled up on rifles in .308, .30-06, and .35 Remington (different models of rifle in each case). One of the pair carries a scope, the other an aperture rear with fiber-optic front. My muzzleloader and .45-70 do not have scope-sighted counterparts.

Like hillbillie, I find open sights unsatisfactory after cataract surgery.

Also, oddly enough, the aperture sights don't work with my no-line bifocals because through the peep what I see is a shifty double image of the front bead. The resultant groups scatter diagonally. Fortunately my lined bifocals give a clear sight picture and rounded target groups.
  • popgunpopgun Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My eyes are such now (67) that I can't use iron sights on rifles. I just bought a Spitfire scope for my AR.

I can still use iron on my pistols though because the distances are not as great.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a large number of military surplus rifles and carbines...

Most of which (excluding the glassed sniper rifles) have as issued iron sights...

I have a large number of .22 rimfire rifles and carbines...

Most of which are "target grade" and have iron sights / peep sights / target sights...

Most of my rimfires are set up to accept scopes / optics / sight aids..

I specifically have several scopes that I rotate on and off of these guns but the majority remain as bought / as sold with iron sights...

I have added target sights and peep sights to guns that had scopes on them when purchased...

The last 3 animals I harvested the guns used had iron sights.

A deer taken at 208 yds with a straight pull .236 Lee navy rifle in as issued military configuration

A javilina taken at 40 yds with a uberti baby rolling block carbine (.38 long colt double end copper wadcutter) with notch and post iron sights

A rabbit taken at 75 yds with a Stevens crackshot rolling block in .25 long rimfire (Canadian dominion ammo with copper case) with rear peep front blade iron sights

Don't get me wrong I have lots of scopes from cheap to expensive and I enjoy shooting with glass...

But iron sighted battle rifles and military sporters make up most of my collection...

I have harvested deer with a straight pull ross rifle and a K31 Schmidt rubin straight pull rifle both with as issued military iron sights...

But I am an odd duck and strange habits.

Mike
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just on my Browning 32-20 and one of my BL22 squirrel rifles. Just getting back into using iron sites again. Oakie
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 rifles that I just have irons on. They are my Remington 700 .375 H&H and newly acquired Marlin 336 .35 Remington.

Jon
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Hawkens with peep sights, one old Remington single shot .22 with iron sights, and my pistols. About everything else has glass on it. My main hunting rifle, a Model 700 .30-06 came with iron sights, but I've never used them.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Winchesters still have iron sights if I use them I limit my range to about 75 yards
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several rifles without a scope that I love to death shootIng, most are lever actions, but I do have a .243 with just our iron sights on it
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have had poor vision sever astigmatism and near sighted all my life aperture sights were horrid but I could shoot blade type front sight Then I got Floaters in my right eye could not continue by bulls-eye pistol matches Had one operation to remove floaters and another for a lens implant now with right eye no correction is 2015 long distance so I found out I cant shoot a rifle with Iron sights UNLESS
    THE REAR SIGHT iS MOVED FORWARD ON THE BARREL . I hunt with a Penn Style flintlock . IF YOU LOOK AT MANY ORIGINAL long rifles you will see the rear sight has been moved many times some as many as 6 times on the same rifle try looking at sights that start in the middle of the barrel for the rear sight with the front sight in the original place at the front end of the barrel it will seem odd at first but I have shot rifles with 24 inch barrels and sights only 6inches apart can hold small groups even at 100 yards
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only on pistols that don't have lasers.
    When I hunt I don't carry binos or spotting scopes, instead I use the scope and then zoom out accordingly
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good optics make for clean kills...

My M1 and pistols all have iron.
    "What is truth?'
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not rifles I use for serious hunting.

Even a few of my shotguns and a Ruger Redhawk have optical assistance.

Trinity +++
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did once upon a time.
    But sadly, age has taken its toll on my eyesight.
    And now glass is all there is.
    Close up and personal... I use a laser dot to assure my sight picture.
  • penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
    edited November -1
    I doubt most of you old farts do not see well enough to use iron sights even with glasses. Agree?
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm an "old fart". My (uncorrected) vision is horrible.
    I can still shoot up a storm with irons.
    If I wanna hit anything though, it's gotta be glass.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
    edited November -1
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do....used them out to 500 yards over this past weekend. It was fun.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use iron sights out to 100 yards, but have difficulty seeing to 200 anymore without a little optical assistance.

If I was a hunter, I would probably reduce the maximum distance to 50 - 75 yards with iron sights for the same reason.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one rifle with a scope. Haven't shot it in years. all the rest have iron sights, exc for the Win model 70 with no sights on it. I've never even put the bolt in it. Won it in a raffle.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    I use iron sights out to 100 yards, but have difficulty seeing to 200 anymore without a little optical assistance.

If I was a hunter, I would probably reduce the maximum distance to 50 - 75 yards with iron sights for the same reason.

I compensate for poor eyesight with poor marksmanship.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • PdogPdog Member Posts: 291 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    pistols and almost all my rimfire rifles, savage 99's, sks mostly stuff that is not drilled and tapped for mounts.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just on my Browning 32-20
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    All I use is iron sights. I was raised to be a rifleman.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I have had poor vision sever astigmatism and near sighted all my life aperture sights were horrid but I could shoot blade type front sight Then I got Floaters in my right eye could not continue by bulls-eye pistol matches Had one operation to remove floaters and another for a lens implant now with right eye no correction is 2015 long distance so I found out I cant shoot a rifle with Iron sights UNLESS
    THE REAR SIGHT iS MOVED FORWARD ON THE BARREL . I hunt with a Penn Style flintlock . IF YOU LOOK AT MANY ORIGINAL long rifles you will see the rear sight has been moved many times some as many as 6 times on the same rifle try looking at sights that start in the middle of the barrel for the rear sight with the front sight in the original place at the front end of the barrel it will seem odd at first but I have shot rifles with 24 inch barrels and sights only 6inches apart can hold small groups even at 100 yards

I'll give this a try. I hope it works.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My leverguns have irons as well as my 10/22 and Rock River AR15. But as I age I think it's time for an optic on my AR15..most likely a red dot. I've also been considering a red dot for my SIG P250.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penguin
    I doubt most of you old farts do not see well enough to use iron sights even with glasses. Agree?

To doubt, you have to think. I bet it was quite an event for you

But... This older gentleman still has 20/20 vision. And a left hook that would take the head clean off a punk like you that is so disrespectful as to call an older gentleman an old old fart
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

I compensate for poor eyesight with poor marksmanship.

At least you can see well enough to know.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use both, iron and optics. I just do not see well enough to do what I used to with iron sites, so my use of them is limited.