In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

So, was this a big mistake?

Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Think there's anything salvageable under all that grease? Think the wood can be saved? Did I really screw up?

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=129148088

Comments

• Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the cosmo off and see how it shoots. Beats yardwork, anyway.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That could be a hidden treasure! I think you did fine. They say that the bore is fine.....that is the first thing I would check when you get it. I have seen some pitted ones in the past.

I wonder why they didn't clean it up before selling....that seems like a mistake on their part. You could clean it up and make a pretty profit on that easily if it is correct and has a good bore. The last one I sold went for $900.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Well, you can't claim you didn't know what you were buying.

It should make Mrs. SP happy, 'cause it be taken you off the streets of de 'hood for awhile.

Knowing how meticulous (I think) you are, I believe it will turn out bootiful. Some serious time investment in the entire Carbine, though.

But...you knew that when you bought it.

Post pix for us as the project goes along.

Doug
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The big mistake comes when your wife finds out that you put it in the dish washer to clean all that grease off of it!
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you bought it to re-sell at a profit, you probably screwed up.

If you bought it as a shooter, you will know if you screwed up only after you put some rounds through it.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like most of the dents in the stock could be steamed out. Those that can't be removed just add character to it.

I think you got a deal if the bore is in decent shape.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I think you did good!
    the stck can be saved and as long as the barrel isn't shot out....
    you could get another stock for it (it's not numbers matching now, so what the heck)clean it up and get almost double your money for it!
    or you could try and steam out the dings in the stock, degrease it, then rubbing alcohol, then oil or varnish or paste floor wax....
    or you could send it to me and i'll fix it right up for you. I'll even sight it in with 100 or so rounds[;)]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He had two Carbines listed at the same time. The $679 one has a better stock and looks cleaner.

I have one ordered from the CMP but God knows how long it will take to arrive. I am hearing 6 months now with the rush being on to obtain before our Fearless Leader and His band of minions in Congress ban them. I figured I'd have slightly over $500 in each and I could keep the better of the two and sell the other locally. I bet I can get $650 for this one when cleaned up.

We'll see,,,
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soak & Scrub the stock & metal in TSP & very hot water for about 15 Min.
    rinse off all the metal with wd-40 & let the wood dry for a couple days.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    Bought a M-44 Nagant and tried a trick I heard about from an old timer. Bought 2 rolls of paper towels and wraped the whole thing without taking it apart. I then wraped it up inside a black trash bag and set it in the window for a week. It really soaked up a lot of the goop. Just a suggestion...no guarantees, but it made the clean up a lot easier.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cleaning them up is half the fun.[:D] Looks like there might be some nice wood under the cosmoline.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks pretty good from what I can see.. The parkerizeing original?
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    It's got an M1 Bolt and an early op rod, but has the late sight and bayonet lug. The bolts and op rods were usually changed out during depot-level overhaul at the same time that the sights and lugs were, so the gun has an interesting history. It also has an M2 stock.

Just take your time with degreasing it, and remember that for the nooks and crannies, Hoppe's will dissolve grease just about on contact.
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cosmoline is your friend!
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know it's import stamped so likely from a foreign government. Likely rebuilt with various parts but I just want a shooter, anyway. Have no idea about condition of finish. Will find out.

Been many years since I removed cosmoline from a surplus gun. I always hang it in a tree on a hot summer day muzzle down and let most of it liquefy and run out into a drip pan.

It will give me something to do.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jgreen
    Cosmoline is your friend!

+1 [^]
  • jon ojon o Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put cos soaked stocks in the oven on paper and set for warm. When dripping has stopped, I scrub.[^]
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it was a big mistake. So you don't have to eat the whole loss I will give you $50.00 and pay for shipping to my FFL dealer.

Really I wish I had the cash to chase down some of these old rifles.

ENJOY