In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gunshow sideshow

kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
looking at ammo today at a small show in the four corners area. dude in a tie dyed shirt was watching the table for mom and dad had some 45 colt, I asked what brand were they, after he said no touching, and he said they were handloads. I said thanks and was going to leave when this young ammo pimp asked why I would not buy his ammo. After explaining I do not buy handloaded pistol ammo for fear of a double load he responded with" They cant be double loaded, there is only room for 1 bullet". I had no response to this and walked away quickly

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,421 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Well he's right, ya know.[:D][:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reminds me of the time I was selling 22 ammo. guy asks me with a straight face " are they reloads? " after rolling my eyes, I straight faced answered him " yes, they are " he said that's dangerous and walked away. HA!
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    couldn't get away from that table fast enough eh?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    had to walk away, damn hard not to give a sermon
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Hope his folks aren't trying to hawk that stuff at the NMGCA Gun Show Oct. 5&6 at Expo nM (the old state fairgrounds); they'd be in direct competition with my frybread, heishi and jerky display.

Oh, and be sure to check out all my reclaimed Rez Guns; they might be dirty, they could be broken, they are maybe 10 years old, but they sure are overpriced!
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kumate
    looking at ammo today at a small show in the four corners area. dude in a tie dyed shirt was watching the table for mom and dad had some 45 colt, I asked what brand were they, after he said no touching, and he said they were handloads. I said thanks and was going to leave when this young ammo pimp asked why I would not buy his ammo. After explaining I do not buy handloaded pistol ammo for fear of a double load he responded with" They cant be double loaded, there is only room for 1 bullet". I had no response to this and walked away quickly

GunBroker needs a "Best Of" category for the forums here. That one needs to go in it!
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are also required to have a type 6 FFL to manufacture AND sell ammunition.

Im just curious- If he had a type 6 FFL and the ammo was reloaded on a Camdex machine would you still consider it a handload?
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    Funny, as I've been reloading somewhere around 10 different calibers for over 40 years and haven't found it possible to double-charge any of them. Simply won't fit and would overflow, making the error obvious. The only exception to the rule may be the .30-06 with a powder from Dupont that I would never use again (and believe it was discontinued over 30 years ago). In most instances, I believe double-charging only happens when someone is using the incorrect powder for the application. [;)]

Ever hear of Bullseye???? You must not load auto pistol cartridges..
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't argue with solid logic, would you have been more confident if he had been in Camo?
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen 4 KABOOMS, 3 where from double charged loads, clays powder can easily fit 2 charges in a .45acp/9mm along with a few other powders, that's one of my criteria when working up a load, and yes I have double charged on purpose to see if it will fit in the case, and yes it can easily be done

now as far as 2 bullets in the case, yes that can be done too, a guy at our bowling pin shoots loads 2 158grain waddcutters in his .357 maximum
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    Funny, as I've been reloading somewhere around 10 different calibers for over 40 years and haven't found it possible to double-charge any of them. Simply won't fit and would overflow, making the error obvious. The only exception to the rule may be the .30-06 with a powder from Dupont that I would never use again (and believe it was discontinued over 30 years ago). In most instances, I believe double-charging only happens when someone is using the incorrect powder for the application. [;)]

Ever hear of Bullseye???? You must not load auto pistol cartridges..

Sure I've heard of it, used it and don't care for it. As far as auto pistol loads, I've loaded most of the following for 20+ years, some for 40 years:

.32ACP
    7.62x25
    .357 Sig
    .380ACP
    9mm
    10mm
    .40 S&W
    .44 Auto Mag
    .45 Win Mag
    .45ACP

I'm a fan of Alliant, Unique and Winchester powders. [^]

I was just responding to the portion, above. I doubt that Bullseye in a .45 is considered incorrect.

Personally, I prefer bulkier powders, too!
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well thank god he was there to set you straight[;)]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burpfire
    reminds me of the time I was selling 22 ammo. guy asks me with a straight face " are they reloads? " after rolling my eyes, I straight faced answered him " yes, they are " he said that's dangerous and walked away. HA!
    reminds me of the guy that was trying to tell a seller that "you can't shoot 22 long rifle in a handgun"
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by burpfire
    reminds me of the guy that was trying to tell a seller that "you can't shoot 22 long rifle in a handgun"
    If manufacturers wanted you to shoot .22 long rifle in a handgun they would have named it .22 long pistol or .22 long revolver. Stick with .22 longs in a handgun. It is unsafe to use the incorrect ammunition in a firearm. The excessive power of .22 long rifle ammunition will blow up a handgun.
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must be the luckiest SOB in the World then, because I have been shooting .22 Long Rifle in Pistols, my whole life!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiplash
    I must be the luckiest SOB in the World then, because I have been shooting .22 Long Rifle in Pistols, my whole life!

WOW, you have been very lucky. For your safety either send me your .22 handguns or your .22lr ammo so you can not make this mistake again.