In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Information on 10mm

CutiegirlracingCutiegirlracing Member Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in General Discussion
I know this has been asked, but not by me yet. Can someone give me the 411 on 10mm. I'm not to worried on how it came into existence. I want to know. How hard does it kick? What's a good gun chambered for it? How accurate is it? Is the bullets expensive? Would it make a good back country carry gun? Will the 10mm glocks shoot 357 sig with barrel and mag changes? Anything else I may not be asking, I really like to learn all I can about this round.

Thanks

Traci

Comments

• nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a pretty hot round. I don't know what you consider "high" recoil so I'd be loathe to offer an opinion on that matter. It's gonna be as powerful or more so than a 45 or 357.

As far as a good platform for it, I've heard good things about the Glock 20.

Ammo's gonna be more expensive than your more common calibers, that's for sure. I don't think 50 cents/round would be out of the ordinary, give or take.

As far as the glock mags, I wouldn't know. The 357 Sig will work in 40 S&W mags from my understanding because a 357 Sig is nothing more or less than a necked down 40 S&W, which is essentially a shortened 10mm, but I don't know if the 40s and 10s are interchangable in their respective mags.

Hope this helps.
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    We have a S&W 10MM auto here and it is a good shooting firearm. This particular gun was only made one year [1991]and from what i understand it was basically made for the feds.
    The ammo costs about $20.00 a box and not much of it is found around these parts.
  • Sigdriver1Sigdriver1 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    10mm was derived from the old Bren-10. FBI adopted the 10mm for a short period of time after the Florida shoot-out but eventually dropped the 10mm after the bullet showed high tendency to over penetrate in the field & some small statured agents had trouble handling the powerful caliber.

G-20 is probably your best all around bet, but mags aren't interchangable because 40SW is shorter than 10mm so the mags are going to be exclusive for the caliber.

A C.O. friend of mine let me tried his G-20 once, recoil is a bit more than 45ACP but if you can handle a 357 Magnum you can handle the 10mm. The grip of the gun was rather large due to the length of the round so circumference of the grip will make the gun lesser managable for shooters with small hands.

As for back country protection, I would say it's more than plenty for unfriendly 2 legged varmints, but if you are up against griz or black bear you'll end up piss him off more than you'll hurt him.

Took a zoology class back in college days & we studied a grizzly skull bone once; skull was 1 inch. thick of heavy, dense bones. I doubt a 10mm bullet stopped that creature [8D]

quote:Originally posted by Cutiegirlracing
    I know this has been asked, but not by me yet. Can someone give me the 411 on 10mm. I'm not to worried on how it came into existence. I want to know. How hard does it kick? What's a good gun chambered for it? How accurate is it? Is the bullets expensive? Would it make a good back country carry gun? Will the 10mm glocks shoot 357 sig with barrel and mag changes? Anything else I may not be asking, I really like to learn all I can about this round.

Thanks

Traci
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    colt....delta elite...1911
  • PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can convert the Glock 20 to: 9x25, 40 S&W and 357 SIG with only a simple barrel swap for each caliber. The stock 10mm mags work fine with all four calibers. I have done it and lots of other Glock 20 owners have too. Go to: www.10mmtalk.com for all you ever wanted to know about the great 10mm. The 9x25 is a screamer, you can get 90 grain ammo going over 2100 fps.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PC800
    You can convert the Glock 20 to: 9x25, 40 S&W and 357 SIG with only a simple barrel swap for each caliber. The stock 10mm mags work fine with all four calibers. I have done it and lots of other Glock 20 owners have too. Go to: www.10mmtalk.com for all you ever wanted to know about the great 10mm. The 9x25 is a screamer, you can get 90 grain ammo going over 2100 fps.

you can do this with a colt 1911 too
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd also mention the EAA Witness in 10mm.

Nice platform that lets you change calibers (eg to 9mm, .40, .38 Super, or 45) with relative ease.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Like any other round, the recoil is greatly affected by the gun used to fire it. If you fire the round from a light weight composite gun like a glock, it's a handfull. Fired from my S&W 1076 or 1026, it's not too bad.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would find someone who has one or a range that would rent you one before you commit to purchasing one, you may not like it very well
  • CutiegirlracingCutiegirlracing Member Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    i would find someone who has one or a range that would rent you one before you commit to purchasing one, you may not like it very well

I don't think it's possible for me to dislike a Glock.
  • wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    If BambiHunter chimed in, he would give you all the info you'd want. I consider him "the man" when it comes to 10mm. The 10mm was dropped by the FBI because of politics. They wanted a round with stopping power and they got it. Problem was getting the wimp agents to handle it. The 40S&W was the watered down version of the 10mm. Various manufacturers made 10mm models. As mentioned, Bren, Colt, Smith, Witness (Tanfaglio?), Glock, Dan Wesson. With double Tap ammo, the 10mm is one of the best defense calibers available. The G29 is about the only one that is a bit jumpy because of the small size. All the other models handle very nicely. If you can shoot a 45, the 10mm will be a snap. Good luck.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

I don't think it's possible for me to dislike a Glock.

i was referring to the 10mm
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How hard does it kick?

>>very, more than a .45. it's like a .41 magnum but semiauto. there have been rumors of Glock 20's and 29's tearing themselves apart, send back to Glock for repair/replacement and they wanted to keep it quiet.

What's a good gun chambered for it?

>>Glock 20 or Colt Delta 10mm, other than that I don't know because my knowledge on 10mm's is dated, but the Glock sounds good

How accurate is it?

>>good enough, it's a handgun

Is the bullets expensive?

>>yes, because not enough people buy them to make the cost go down

Would it make a good back country carry gun?

>>yes, The Nuge carries one, next best would be a .45LC. in fact they're better for that than defense against 2-legged critters due to overpenetration issues. the FIB did choose the 10mm for its penetration of cover (read: offensive capabilities) but yes, they wimped out and went with the "10mm lite", which became the .40. but 10mm penetration is just as good for large thick-skinned game. ironically, that's why they don't sell that much.

...and you don't want a carry gun, you want a sidearm.

Will the 10mm glocks shoot 357 sig with barrel and mag changes?

>>NO for swap info, go to this page http://glockmeister.com/glockinf.shtml where you will find this link http://glockmeister.com/barswap.shtml and this link http://glockmeister.com/upswap.shtml where you will find that you can swap the upper receiver between the Glock 20 (10mm) and 21 (.45) but you still cannot swap the barrels. why? different case length makes different magazine/grip depth, and even if the mags & barrels were interchangeable, you still would have to swap out the ejector anyways.

Anything else I may not be asking, I really like to learn all I can about this round.

>>that's about it
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can't handle the recoil of a 10, your'e not a man. Maybe your a woman, I dunno. I used my S&W 1006 to drop a couple of whitetails in their tracks. Could see it doing the same thing on a black bear.
    Ammo will probably run you better than $25/box for the good stuff, that's why I reload.
    As far as using it for a back country gun, it is probably the best thing you could carry in an auto. A .41 or .44 Mag wheelgun would be my next choice. My wife likes shooting my Blackhawk .41, she says it feels like you are doing somthing. The 10 is acutally smaller than the .41.
    10's ROCK!!!!![8D]
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my friend just bought one, not sure what model or even who made it. but he said its like 20 bucks for ammo and he said it is hard to come by, so he's reloading these. he said it kicks like a 357
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take your pick their all great 10mms.

standard.jpg
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter is in deed the expert. I have been shooting the 10mm for over 5 years. The S&W 1076 is a great hand gun. The FBI chose it untill some could not handel the recoil. The EAA Witness makes a great 10mm and so does Glock. I have shot the Colt 10mm and it is just fine. The 10mm is better than the .357mag and close to the 41mag. It is an all around great calibur if you can handel it. My 2 cents [8D]
  • CutiegirlracingCutiegirlracing Member Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATF

standard.jpg

The one second from top. What is it? What do you think of it? Is it an expensive?
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATF

standard.jpg

The one second from top. What is it? What do you think of it? Is it an expensive?

That's a AMT Javelina Long Slide 7" Hunting Model. I would say if you could find one it would run about $650.00 and up.I like it or I wouldn't own it.I would be careful of the later AMTs or the Parkers
    All of these guns are no longer made.They are from the top down a S&W Mod. 610 6.5",The AMT,Colt Delta Elite with adjustable sights and Coco bolo Grips,S&W 1006 at the bottom.Another good one I have that's not pictured is a Witness 5'(I think)in Wonder finish.This gun is still in production and you should be able to pick up a new one for around $350.00,$375.00,Hope this helps.[:)]
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please, tell me more about the EAA line of guns. I'm kinda leary of a sub $400.oo NIB 10. I wouldn't be banging away with it on a regular basis, just the occasional plinking and deer hunting.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    On the Witness... avoid the plastic ones. The steel ones are great. I had a TA-90 (Tanfoglio clone of the CZ75) and never had any issues with it. One of the great things about the Witness line is that you can simply swap out the top half and mag and have a 9mm, 40, 10mm, 45, or 22. New top halfs are about 200 each, so for under 600 you could have your 10mm and a "matching" 22 for cheap practice on the *same* trigger, etc.
  • 7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would opt for a .40 anyday
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    One word of advice on any caliber of back-country carry handguns. I'd go with 5" or shorter. The shorter it is, the quicker you can "clear leather". It's just like any other combat situation: If a bear of mountain lion is gonna come atcha, it'll come atcha fast.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok, say you might get jumped by anything from a wildcat to a grizzly. FMJ for penetration or hollowpoint for expansion?

if you ask The Nuge (which people do at http://www.tednugent.com/ask_nuge.shtml) he says

quote:Q- I recently got turned on to 10mm and carry a Glock 20c every day but with the barrel replaced to a 5.3 inch. I am getting 1430fps with Georgia Arms 155 grain Gold Dot, and 1236fps from Georgia Arms 180s. I want to start loading for hunting Boar. What do you recommend for ammo? A 200 grain XTP? Or a 180 Gold Dot? What do you carry for ammo for defense? Thanks. Robert -Marshfield, MA.
    A- CorBon 200 Penetrators for hunting & 135s for street. BBT
    so, what do you think?
  • wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7.62x39
    I would opt for a .40 anyday

You're just a 692210419450611cfd8c8d.gif
  • subsailorsubsailor Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Traci,

I took possession of a Kimber Elite Custom II in the 10mm this weekend, it's a 1911 style. It's a sweet piece of craftmanship, and in about 1-1/2 hours of shooting, I'd say the recoil is similar to my Colt 1911 .45. It's dimensions and weight are almost identical to the Colt. And being a Kimber it's a bit pricey.