In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Downs syndrome

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in General Discussion
I was in a convenience store this morning, getting coffee. A woman was in there with her two sons. We got talking about her young 4 year old son. He was hiding his face and saying hi to me. She turned him around and I noticed he had down syndrome. Her was the most precious kid in the world[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] He 16 year old son was with them and a real gentleman. The kind that say please, thank you, yes mam, no mam, type kid. It is just really rare to see a teen that age so well mannered today. Anyway, I offered to trade my 21 year old for her son. The lady said, " Not for all the money in the world", This is MY little man. They were headed down to their boat to go fishing and the little boy was telling me all about fish[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] He wanted some candy to take with him, but she said no, if you want some fruit, go get it. As they turned to leave, I thought, Maybe this kid was born with Down syndrome, but he sure was a ray of sunshine that god gave to his parents. It takes a special parent to have a special kid, and I think that was god's plan. To tell you the truth, I didn't think he was handicapped one little bit. I think he was there to show me that instead of being so stressed out all the time, take time, even if for one second, and just smile[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]. He made me do that a lot today. Just wanted to share this with you all. Just a ray of little sunshine in this crazy world we live in. Oakie

Comments

• Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing. Put a smile on my face [:)]
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing that.
    I needed it.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Oakie. A little perspective is a good thing for all of us.
  • Options
    TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was excellent Oakie.
    Made me remember something from my past.

In the late 80's I met an actor that has Down Syndrome.
    His name is Chris Burk, played in the tv series "Life Goes On".
    Really a nice person.
    I was doing some repair work on a storefront door at a gym.
    He stopped and started asking me all sorts of questions.
    I recognized him from the show. Later the owner of the Gym asked me if I knew who that was.
    He said he was their "Special Guest". His family owned a home in Punta Gorda, FL, they are from NY.
    He would come down and stay when there was no filming. He would come in and workout at that gym.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have seen some that have spent their life caring for children up to adult that have special needs...i can't imagine the strength and endurance this duty would encompass....always wondered how their life would change when their loving caregiver is gone...i know a man in his 80's with two adult mr children ..they all work hard mowing yards .cemeteries, etc and the boys can drive ..mom died 3 years ago and still they carry on ...sometimes i just wonder
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie... You're right on the mark as always.

And I'll add... this little tidbit.
    It takes a special kind of person to recognize the sunshine. [;)]
    While others only complain about the heat index...

When my eldest son (the one with CF) was about 4 or 5 years old...
    Linda and I were heavily into parent support groups tied with the CF Foundation.
    We had traveled to Duke one Saturday to help counsel new parents of CF children.
    We were both in a small group of about ten parents and I noticed this one guy a few years older than me dressed in a three piece suit.
    I thought he probably was one of the CF Foundation people in that most of the parents were in jeans and tees.

Nope... He was a Dad to youngster that had recently been diagnosed.
    All he wanted to do was complain about the cost his child's condition was going to cause.
    We all spoke with him, trying to give him some hope and understanding.
    But, he wouldn't have any of it... His child was gonna cost him a small fortune!

He eventually walked out and left. His wife was in tears.
    We found out a few months later, that they had divorced over the issue.

Sometimes people never think of anyone other than themselves...
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All lives matter...especially with children born with defects...My biggest horror when growing up was Polio.....I was very afraid of having it....
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TheBrassMan
    That was excellent Oakie.
    Made me remember something from my past.

In the late 80's I met an actor that has Down Syndrome.
    His name is Chris Burk, played in the tv series "Life Goes On".
    Really a nice person.
    I was doing some repair work on a storefront door at a gym.
    He stopped and started asking me all sorts of questions.
    I recognized him from the show. Later the owner of the Gym asked me if I knew who that was.
    He said he was their "Special Guest". His family owned a home in Punta Gorda, FL, they are from NY.
    He would come down and stay when there was no filming. He would come in and workout at that gym.
    That's pretty cool. [^]
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    All lives matter...especially with children born with defects...My biggest horror when growing up was Polio.....I was very afraid of having it....

My Mom pretty much had me quarantined for a while there in the early 50s. A kid next door caught Polio and Mom stayed on edge worrying about me catching it. We moved shortly afterwards and then when they came up with a vaccine everybody was very relieved. The thoughts of spending your life in an iron lung was scary.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,061 ******
    edited November -1
    God Bless,,,[:)][:)][:)]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Have not meet one that was not like that. What they lack in one way they really make up for it in Kindness.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    Good for you Oakie
    I talk to these girls when ever I see them at the Berkshire Mall
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pR2uWhAkaQ
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a nephew that has diminished intellectual capacity. He does not have Down Syndrome, but he is slow and has some physical abnormalities. He is most of the time very happy and out going. He doesn't comprehend bashfulness or stress, rarely does he get frustrated or mad. He is a great kid and a magnet for people. He has become well known where he lives as a bat boy for the local minor league team. He will need someone to take care of his finances and basic hygiene needs for the rest of his life, but he is capable of being a bag boy or stocker at a grocery store. He doesn't understand concepts like money, and could easily be taken advantage of by another person because he doesn't perceive evil. He brings a lot of sunshine into other folks lives.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I have a nephew that has diminished intellectual capacity. He does not have Down Syndrome, but he is slow and has some physical abnormalities. He is most of the time very happy and out going. He doesn't comprehend bashfulness or stress, rarely does he get frustrated or mad. He is a great kid and a magnet for people. He has become well known where he lives as a bat boy for the local minor league team. He will need someone to take care of his finances and basic hygiene needs for the rest of his life, but he is capable of being a bag boy or stocker at a grocery store. He doesn't understand concepts like money, and could easily be taken advantage of by another person because he doesn't perceive evil. He brings a lot of sunshine into other folks lives.

We have one as a bag Boy/ cart chaser at my normal store. His only problem is he has no volume control.[:D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was young you rarely saw a pregnant woman out in public. I was in high school in the early 60s when for the first time I saw a child with Down's syndrome. They were considered hopelessly retarded and short-lived, not to mention an embarrassment to the family. thus they were in homes or kept indoor if they lived at home. The young man I saw lived in a home, but came to his families house some weekends.

In some ways time really have changed for the better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    When I was young you rarely saw a pregnant woman out in public. I was in high school in the early 60s when for the first time I saw a child with Down's syndrome. They were considered hopelessly retarded and short-lived, not to mention an embarrassment to the family. thus they were in homes or kept indoor if they lived at home. The young man I saw lived in a home, but came to his families house some weekends.

In some ways time really have changed for the better.

Must be the area that I lived but me growing up they lived at home. But I really was into church at that time and it could just have been that group I hung with.