In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any Docs on here that are familiar with.?.?.

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
OR know any other Docs who are familiar with Gulf War Syndrome.?.? I have Persian Gulf syndrome, as a direct result to exposure to Nerve agent, among other things and one of my 62 known medical diagnosis' is emphysema. I was diagnosed with it at 33-34 years of age. According to my VA doc (that initially diagnosed me with emphysema), there is absolutely no way I could have this disease at this age...she told me that this was something they see in 70-80 year old folks.

When I out processed the US Army, I claimed shortness of breath...and I also claimed it when I inprocessed the VA system. They scheduled me 2 appointments to be seen for the condition (right after leaving the service), but I never recieved the notices as I was out of town doing executive protection. They denied my claim based upon the fact that I did not show up for the appointments at the time.

I have since been seen and treated for the same condition from that time until present. The VA finally ended up diagnosing me with emphysema...but dispite my clear record of this condition from my time in service until present, they continue to deny my claim...simply based on the fact that I am not providing "new evidence" that my condition was due to my time in service. This condition is a KNOWN problem with MANY Gulf War I vets and is medically recognized as such.

I am in the process of another appeal on this particular matter and the VA has come back with the same generic response...that I must present new material evidence that my condition is directly related to my service. I spoke with my VA Rep this morning and he said that if I could get one civilian doctor to state that in his/her opionion, my emphysema was related to my time in service, that it would stop the VA dead in their tracks and they would be forced to recognize my condition.

I'm looking for civilian doc who may have treated Gulf War I Vets and is familiar with the conditions we have going on...someone who could examine me and make an informed decision on my current medical condition...or even someone who could review my medical records and make an informed decision on the matter.

Any Docs here that know a civilian doc who may be able to help??? Thanks![:)]

At this point, I'd be willing to travel pretty much anywhere to be examined, if necessary. I only have 30 days to provide new evidence on this matter.

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1st you have better not be trying to fight the VA alone.
    Get with your local DAV I heard those in your state are good. mine Suck. You can also use the local county vets office. Thats who helped me and have done a great job.

Here is a link to check

http://www1.va.gov/rac-gwvi/docs/GWIandHealthofGWVeterans_RAC-GWVIReport_2008.pdf

Lost one freind to Gulf War Syndrome. He only lasted a few months after he came back.

Will see if I can get an e-maill Address for another freind who is fighting it. His Doctor is one of the ones who got the VA to work with Vets on this. Have not talked to him in a while and last time he was not doing to well. He was in San Diego.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    1st you have better not be trying to fight the VA alone.
    Get with your local DAV I heard those in your state are good. mine Suck. You can also use the local county vets office. Thats who helped me and have done a great job.

Here is a link to check

http://www1.va.gov/rac-gwvi/docs/GWIandHealthofGWVeterans_RAC-GWVIReport_2008.pdf

Lost one freind to Gulf War Syndrome. He only lasted a few months after he came back.

Will see if I can get an e-maill Address for another freind who is fighting it. His Doctor is one of the ones who got the VA to work with Vets on this. Have not talked to him in a while and last time he was not doing to well. He was in San Diego.

Thank you! I greatly appreciate any help I can get on this matter.[:)] And sadly, you are correct...somewhere around 60,000 of us have already died from this disease.
    edited November -1
    Sent him an e-mail waiting on his reply. Seems he is still around. On a forum I no longer use. Will get back with you when I hear from him.
    edited November -1
    I was one of those who were in but did not go. Wish I had. Cause I had a Heart Attack the day Kuwat was invaded. Did not get back to regular duty till the ground war started. Almost was disharged Medical at the 16 year mark.

Lucky for me my field was a short one and my health improved. So they let me stay in till I hit my 20 year mark.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    I was one of those who were in but did not go. Wish I had. Cause I had a Heart Attack the day Kuwat was invaded. Did not get back to regular duty till the ground war started. Almost was disharged Medical at the 16 year mark.

Lucky for me my field was a short one and my health improved. So they let me stay in till I hit my 20 year mark.

Glad you made your 20 Gunny. I was in country early August following the invasion of Kuwait...left in April of the following year.
    edited November -1
    Didn't get out of the Hospital from the Heart Attack till early Sept.

They really wanted to do a lot of tests on a 34 year old. Went back in near the end of Sept and did not get back out this time till Nov.

Got back in time to see My old reserve unit(I was on the I-I staff) from up here in Eugene Get shipped over after a Stop At Camp Pendelton.

Dec 06 had a triple by pass to replace a few of those Arteries that were bad back then. Just started back to the gym and feel I have more energy that I did right after I retired.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric if the VA won't help you make sure to contact your reps in Congress. My dad was stationed in Nevada in the 60's at a radar base. He was exposed to radiation from that and from the nuclear bombs that were set off in the areas(his doctor belived and he belived those things caused him medical problems for the rest of his life). When my dad tried to get help from the VA he was met with many roadblocks. He wrote letters to his Congressman and to both Senator Boxer & Feinstein. Suprisingly the letters and the fact that his brother was a posthumous Medal of Honor recipient which the Congress people found out are what got him awarded his VA disability. The VA jumped pretty quick when they were pressured of how embarrasing it would be to the administration that the family member of a MoH recipient was a vet that was being treated poorly.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    Eric if the VA won't help you make sure to contact your reps in Congress. My dad was stationed in Nevada in the 60's at a radar base. He was exposed to radiation from that and from the nuclear bombs that were set off in the areas(his doctor belived and he belived those things caused him medical problems for the rest of his life). When my dad tried to get help from the VA he was met with many roadblocks. He wrote letters to his Congressman and to both Senator Boxer & Feinstein. Suprisingly the letters and the fact that his brother was a posthumous Medal of Honor recipient which the Congress people found out are what got him awarded his VA disability. The VA jumped pretty quick when they were pressured of how embarrasing it would be to the administration that the family member of a MoH recipient was a vet that was being treated poorly.

That option is open...so is an attorney. I quite certain that an attorney would have no problem rectifying this situation...but at a significant cost. I'm currently letting my State VA Rep handle the matter.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our Vets are treated like poop... I just don't get it. How much could free healthcare and income tax exemption really cost this country for their service? I bet it is not a drop in the bucket what we pay these poopholes to rebuild after we bomb them hell outta them...
    edited November -1
    Eric, I was exposed to Agent Orange in Nam, It wasnt until I retired from the service that I found I had been affected.. To this day I have yet to find a doctor , civilian or military that will verify my problem was caused by agent orange, they say "It probably was" but to get them to sign off on it, no way..After going with the Class action law suit, and being put on the list, and 20 years later,, I give up...

Many doctors are not going to touch the PTSD, Gulf War syndrome, as they dont know enough about it and research at this point is more or less a guess..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Eric, I was exposed to Agent Orange in Nam, It wasnt until I retired from the service that I found I had been affected.. To this day I have yet to find a doctor , civilian or military that will verify my problem was caused by agent orange, they say "It probably was" but to get them to sign off on it, no way..After going with the Class action law suit, and being put on the list, and 20 years later,, I give up...

Many doctors are not going to touch the PTSD, Gulf War syndrome, as they dont know enough about it and research at this point is more or less a guess..

I can definitely relate where you are coming from...but unfortunately, the docs are all too eager to diagnose you with PTSD. I had to flat out tell them that I wasn't interested in their mental health care. After my last fiasco where the VA canceled my appt with a pulmonologist, I went off and called anyone and everyone who was somebody at the hospital...and the very next day the VA mental health folks called me up trying to get me to come in to be evaluated...explaining that they realized most of us vets have PTSD and that they were there for me...[xx(] I'm not going to touch that issue with a 10' pole. You may as well voluntarily throw your RIGHTS in a garbage can after the legislation that's been put in place.

I've just got to find a doc who is sympathetic to vets and what we are dealing with. I wish I could find my VA primary care Doc who oversaw my care when I went through the Persian Gulf Registry back in the 90's. She has already made the statement that my condition was service related and I'm quite certain that she'd reiterate it...problem is, she's retired.
  • robbie pennyrobbie penny Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    OR know any other Docs who are familiar with Gulf War Syndrome.?.? I have Persian Gulf syndrome, as a direct result to exposure to Nerve agent,

No offense, but there is no proof any american soldiers were exposed to "nerve agents".
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    robbie penny, check your facts. Sad to say you are mistaken.[V]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by robbie penny
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    OR know any other Docs who are familiar with Gulf War Syndrome.?.? I have Persian Gulf syndrome, as a direct result to exposure to Nerve agent,

No offense, but there is no proof any american soldiers were exposed to "nerve agents".

You are SADLY mistaken.[V]...and showing your ignorance on the matter. The United States Army has released a list of all units that they KNOW were exposed to nerve agent. Do a search right here on GB. It was either myself or someone else who posted a list of units that were exposed...this list came from the Dept of Defense. Get your facts straight buddy. The US military has stated that up to 300,000 soldiers were exposed to nerve agent...not to mention most of us took it orally as well.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Luck
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father is a retired VA doctor who has seen plenty of Nam and ODS soldiers. The problem with Gulf War Sundrome or Agent Orange is that there is no direct evidence that exposure to Chemical A produces result B besides a high correlation. There are some people who work with the stuff every day and have zero sickness and there are others who only got exposed for a short period and get full blown symptoms. Also unless you lived in a bubble and didn't drink, smoke, do drugs, ate a perfect diet, never watched tv, etc. there are just too many other potential causations. It will be a hard case.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to ask this but I feel I must. What happens if you see a Dr and he gives a different reason for the problems can the VA use that against you?

Just asking becuase when I was dealing with Social Security i had to disclose all the Dr's I had seen so they could see my records.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    Guess I should read up on Gulf War Syndrome. I had significant breathing problems when I got back. Docs all said it was exposure to all the burning oil fields and crap. It seemed to subside after about 5 years.

ECC, I know some guys who are officially diagnosed, and being treated at various VA's. I have not seen them in years, I will try to run them down and get some info.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    I hate to ask this but I feel I must. What happens if you see a Dr and he gives a different reason for the problems can the VA use that against you?

Just asking becuase when I was dealing with Social Security i had to disclose all the Dr's I had seen so they could see my records.

According to the VA docs and staff, there is no other explanation...getting them to put that in writing (except for one doc) is another story.

My Neurologist told me that there was so much they wanted to do for us, but that their hands were tied.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper
    Guess I should read up on Gulf War Syndrome. I had significant breathing problems when I got back. Docs all said it was exposure to all the burning oil fields and crap. It seemed to subside after about 5 years.

ECC, I know some guys who are officially diagnosed, and being treated at various VA's. I have not seen them in years, I will try to run them down and get some info.

Thanks.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I feel for you eric.
    It's almost impossible to fight the VA without alot of time and money.
    I had to have my right arm (elbow) rebuilt twice after shrapnel tore it apart. my records clearly state that additional surgery might be beneficial in the future.
    now, some 8 yrs later they're refusing to pay for, or do the surgery.
    the orthopoedic surgeon wants $28K to do it and BCBS won't cover it because it was "pre-existing"!
    If me writing a review of your case would help, I'd be happy to do it.
    at least I know the military medicine jargon![;)]
    let me know
    tom
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    I feel for you eric.
    It's almost impossible to fight the VA without alot of time and money.
    I had to have my right arm (elbow) rebuilt twice after shrapnel tore it apart. my records clearly state that additional surgery might be beneficial in the future.
    now, some 8 yrs later they're refusing to pay for, or do the surgery.
    the orthopoedic surgeon wants $28K to do it and BCBS won't cover it because it was "pre-existing"!
    If me writing a review of your case would help, I'd be happy to do it.
    at least I know the military medicine jargon![;)]
    let me know
    tom

Email sent!

My email was sent back as undeliverable. I sent it to your GB account...through GB's email system.[?]
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My VA doc stated that it was more, or at least as likely due to the PB vaccinations. I am sure you know the story on that.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095

When was the last time you looked into this. Nowdays they can even tell you by your location if you were exposed. If you have Diabetes or many forms of cancer its almost automatic now. Even going to the VA web site wll have lots of info.

ECC sorry but my friend has not gotten back with me.