In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nice size catfish

savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
My brother caught this 43# flathead last weekend
v6app8Xl.jpg?1

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O my lawd
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,001 ******
    edited November -1
    Outstanding!!!,,,[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

Where?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe

Where?

Mark Twain lk in NE Missouri
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That one is HUGE.
    Years ago my dad caught a 25 pound cat in Minnesota and fought that thing for what seemed like forever. Said it was like he had something on the line that had an oar.

Funny thing was that there was a fishing contest going on where you had to take your fish to a meat market to have it's weight verified and he told the butcher is was a bullhead. He did cop to the truth when he won the contest and everyone concerned had a good laugh at the manager of the meat market's expense.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170

Where?

Mark Twain lk in NE Missouri
    [^][^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

Where?

Mostly in the water,,,,,,,,Don ,,,,,,,

Dammitt,I shoulda known that,,,[:0][:0][;)][;)]
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been fishing catfish in the Minnesota river for many years. My largest was just short of 50# and was also a flathead.

Every year a small town near here (Franklin, Mn) has a weekend celebration called Catfish Derby Days .Biggest Cat always seems to run 40# +. I let anything over 5# go back into the river with the exception of one fish that a friend I fish with smokes. Usually something around 15 to 20 pounds makes a good smoker.

About a 3 to 4 pound channel cat is best for regular eating. Congratulation to your brother. A nice catch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Boyyy I love me fried up catfish too,,,,[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    My brother caught this 43# flathead last weekend
    v6app8Xl.jpg?1

He did Catch and Release, Right?[8D]

Yah nice, Great Catch!

I will bet that fish did not give up easily.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did he eat that big fish?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Did he eat that big fish?

They're going to have a neighbor hood fish fry wed
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******
    edited November -1
    Congratulations to your brother. He?s grinnin? like he just invented teeth.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was it rod and reel or trot line catch?

Lots of people don't realize that the Flat head cat prefers live bait, whereas the channels, blues, and mud cats will eat most anything.

I've caught couple flatheads while crappie fishin on light flimsy crappie rod and reel, both were around 26-28lbs and at night.instead of trying to do battle with the fish I used the trolling motor to lead the fish to deep water then used the trolling motor and started just leading the fish like a dog around in the deep water of the lake until they wore down enough by making them constantly swim to get them in a net. Takes about 30-45 min to wear them down. By constantly leading them they will eventually come to the top and trail along like a wore out dog.

The smaller ones up to around 15lbs are a really good eating fish when prepared properly. Seems main thing is to let them bleed out good and the meat will be almost snow white.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    Was it rod and reel or trot line catch?

Lots of people don't realize that the Flat head cat prefers live bait, whereas the channels, blues, and mud cats will eat most anything.

I've caught couple flatheads while crappie fishin on light flimsy crappie rod and reel, both were around 26-28lbs and at night.instead of trying to do battle with the fish I used the trolling motor to lead the fish to deep water then used the trolling motor and started just leading the fish like a dog around in the deep water of the lake until they wore down enough by making them constantly swim to get them in a net. Takes about 30-45 min to wear them down. By constantly leading them they will eventually come to the top and trail along like a wore out dog.

The smaller ones up to around 15lbs are a really good eating fish when prepared properly. Seems main thing is to let them bleed out good and the meat will be almost snow white.[;)]

Actually crappie fishing is what they were doing this one hit a minnow
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    The Night I caught my Largest(9.5 lb) channel cat fish out of a lake in Calif Lake Poway. Some guy some guy broke the lake record that night his fish could have eaten mine.

I just looked up Lake Poway and the record I think said the record is now a 47 lb Blue Catfish. The record was only like 27 lb the night I caught mine.

Only place I knew of that allowed Night fishing in San Diego.