In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shot a friend?s new 1894 Marlin .44

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
He just stopped by on his way back from the gun store. This is a pretty nice gun. The fit was good and action smooth. The stock looked like they just put one coat of stain on and sent it out. The bluing was nice, but dull.
Checkering was machine made but crisp and even.
These guns have some thump! We were shooting Buffalo Bore reduced loads. I can imagine what it would be with full house reloads.
Of course, it had the redundant button safety.
Once we raise the rear sight way up, we were putting them in a 3? group off hand at 25 yards. Could have done much better from a rest.
I think he paid around $560 out the door.

Comments

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got an early one of those. Shooting some hot handloaded 240grns I didn't think the recoil was bad at all. I was surprised at how quiet it was too. A fun little thumper.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are places where a 50 yard deer rifle is all you need.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,465 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hopefully the quality is coming back I've heard another good report on the new Marlins recently that they are getting beer again
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    always fun to get to shoot especial a different caliber
    I have a 1895 45-70 marlin I bought maybe 25 or 30 years ago used at the time but real nice .. I have not fired the fist round out of it .[:I][:I][B)] ( but have other rifles have never got around to shooting that have been in the safe longer )
    My nephew bought a newer 444 marlin last year it looked nice and shot well. we were not really going for groups just wasting ammo last fall . but seemed to be a decent rifle
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    Hopefully the quality is coming back I've heard another good report on the new Marlins recently that they are getting beer again

I realize there are exceptions bit handled several NIB at the last show I went to this month.
    Wood to metal fit, finish, trademark/SN info stamped everywhere was poorly done. IMHO, they still have a ways to go.

Certainly Remington has done older Marlin owners a big favor making the older guns go up in value.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold an original 1894 in .44-40 couple of years ago.
    Marlins were fine guns. Always liked them over 94s.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    always fun to get to shoot especial a different caliber
    I have a 1895 45-70 marlin I bought maybe 25 or 30 years ago used at the time but real nice .. I have not fired the fist round out of it .[:I][:I][B)] ( but have other rifles have never got around to shooting that have been in the safe longer )
    My nephew bought a newer 444 marlin last year it looked nice and shot well. we were not really going for groups just wasting ammo last fall . but seemed to be a decent rifle

Have the .444 go with a 240 grain not the factory loads they have. Will need to reload to get the 240. But out to 150 yards it is very accurate. The 280 to me is like firing a Mortar.

Place called Grabagun has the 45-70 on sale its tempting.