In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Snake!

A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Wife called me at work, she was on the deck and saw a black snake by the house, said it crawled into the heat pump. Told her that under no circumstance try to kill the snake. Don't shoot it or like the last time she saw one, take an ax to it. Wife isn't one to resort to gun fire but was plenty worried for the heat pump.

I'll give it a day or two before firing up that heat pump, give him, or her, a chance to slither out of there and find employment elsewhere.

Hope the weather doesn't get hot.

Comments

• Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    If there are moving parts that it can get into,

you may wind up with a bad smell all summer if it gets shredded inside the pump.
  • Options
    bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes I fire up the 250btu spa heater and get a bad bbq smell for a while. It is usually a salamander, the small black snakes are quick to get out of there.

I see black snakes regularly in the shrubs. They are good!
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cant stand the thought of a snake being around. We went to the cabin to spend the weekend some time back and I seen one lying across the dirt road.(The cabin is way back where there is hardly any traffic on the road at all.) I thought I would sick my 3 super guard dog dobermans on him. Boy was I surprised they went to it and then stayed back at least 3 ft away just barking. I finally called them off and shot him with a NAA Guardian .22 loaded with rat shot. I really hate to kill them but I have an extreme phobia with snakes.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See a shrink. Not rational to kill like that.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,566 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    See a shrink. Not rational to kill like that.
    The * it ain't!
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    [B)]if you see a black snake here and it`s close to your house it would be wise to kill it...they`re all deadly! if you dip a pin head in their venom and shake off the excess venom and scrath yourself with the pin you will die if you don`t get to a hospital! you are welcome to your black snakes[xx(]
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    black snakes?...are you kidding man...I have never heard of anyone dieing from a black snake bite.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    where i live if a black snake bites you and you don`t get to a hospital and get anti venom you will be dead as a dodo..and like i said, it doesn`t take much venom to kill you either.
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kidthatsirish, Dan Kelly is in Australia. His "black" snakes are a wee bit different than our black snakes, his are not what you are thinking.[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly
    where i live if a black snake bites you and you don`t get to a hospital and get anti venom you will be dead as a dodo..and like i said, it doesn`t take much venom to kill you either.

Dan:
    Our black snakes are not poisonous. Matter of fact they kill and eat the poisonous snakes around. They also dine on rodents, frogs, toads birds, bird eggs, whatever they can catch.

I personally do not like snakes, if I see one up close and it startles me, I will kill it instantly, no matter what it is. If I see one at a distance and think it out, realize that the black snake, king snake and a couple of others are harmless to me and are probably beneficial, I will sort of reluctantly leave them to go about their business.

Our black snakes can be very aggressive and if cornered will fight and bite.
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    I thought this was going to be another political thread from the title lol
  • Options
    101stguy101stguy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only snakes around here are a few buzztails, if you go down in the deschutes canyon on a hot day. Don't even see many of them anymore with the massive invasion of Californians over the last 20 years. Personally, I'd rather have the snakes back![:D]
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AJ that's a good snake to have around. I hope he makes it out of the heat pump okay.

I have snakes all around my place, here's a skin that I found last week near my old shed. It's 70" long, that blue stick is a yard stick!!! I think it's a King snake, while I haven't seen one that big, I've seen plenty in the area. If I ever see this big rascal I'll be sure to pick him up for a photo.

Kingsnakeshed.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    booger, thats come from one big snake! maybe you were lucky you didn`t come across it while the snake was still in it[B)][:D]

some people pay real top $$$ for shed snake skins in real good condition.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,345 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I don't want mice making nests in my house, I leave the black snakes and corn snakes alone, they eat mice!
    I do kill the copperheads, don't want them biting my pets.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AJ do you mean you don't want your wife firing a 44 magnum into your heat pump to kill the snake? [B)][:D]
  • Options
    JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A J Christ
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly

Dan:
    Our black snakes are not poisonous. Matter of fact they kill and eat the poisonous snakes around. They also dine on rodents, frogs, toads birds, bird eggs, whatever they can catch.

I personally do not like snakes, if I see one up close and it startles me, I will kill it instantly, no matter what it is. If I see one at a distance and think it out, realize that the black snake, king snake and a couple of others are harmless to me and are probably beneficial, I will sort of reluctantly leave them to go about their business.

Our black snakes can be very aggressive and if cornered will fight and bite.

Yes we have one Black Snake I worry about !![8D]
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I remember my Dad telling a story about a city slicker who was out on a farm, and saw a black snake and shot it.
    Farmer then shot the guy.

[:D]

AKA Rat snakes around here...
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:if I see one up close and it startles me, I will kill it instantly, no matter what it is.

after i get over the start, I try and catch 'em. taught my kids about snakes by bringin some in the house and letting them handle them.
    kids still laugh about that one green snake that had me running around in circles in the yard. damn, he was fast![:)]
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I was never fond of snakes. I didn't mind them, I just felt better thinking they weren't around.

Then I got boy-children.

The boys were probably 8 and 10 years old, and I get the old, "Mom! Come out here!"
    I get out to the carport, and I can see at this point that I am being set up. My two little angels smiling like Cheshire cats, hands behind their backs.
    I'm thinking at this point, whatever they have to show me, do not recoil, or you will be a target for the rest of your life.

They pull their hands out from behind their backs, and each has a brown garter snake. Normally, I would have shrieked like a little girl, but, instead, I respond with a "OMG! Let me see it!" I grab it, let it coil around my hand, remark on how beautiful it is, the markings, etc..." and hand it back to each respective boy.
    Obviously not the response the boys expected. They slunk off like I had just kicked their puppy.

I waited til I was alone in the house to do the "EEEEWWWEEEEBLLLLLLECCCHHHH...!"[:D]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    rcrxs old lady

Not sure if you heard but Blacks are supposed to be real afraid of Snakes. From what I learned most are.

Well had a good friend in the Marines he was Black. Stuck a King Snake in his face to scare him. He did the same thing. Took that snake out of my hands and started checking it out.[:(]

Found out later he was kind of strange, did not fit in any of the normal Black Stereotypes.

1st time I heard someone do the old "Hey Bro" he would go off "My mama wasn't your Mama"