In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone here ever build a.......

35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
"Rat rod"? I find myself intrigued by the concept. Heading back from the lake today, I spotted an old, rusty late '20's or early '30's 1 1/2 ton truck sitting along the road in a field. Bet it's been sitting for decades. Body-wise, it's actually not bad. Might be a good starting point. Hmmm......[8D][:p]
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,431 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    No I have not, but seen this one at a car/hotrod show last summer.
    Dang cool.
    RatPatrol1.jpg

RatPatrol2.jpg
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,631 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not built or own one as of yet. when I first saw one I was not impressed looked like some one was to lazy to do a good job. or to spend the money to finish the project ( that part I understand )and had to come up with a name to make them cool so rat rod came to be ( just my view). over time I have seen some, like last year at the dream cruse in Detroit. lots of nice ones. a older 60's chevy truck that I had to catch up with in traffic a couple times just to get a better look . looking at the details the effort in building and combining and creating them has gained my respect . I have grown to appreciate them and there creators
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Been reading some of the Magazines that have them and yes Have thought about it.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been thinking and looking at them on youtube lately. But the fellas are giving me grief stating they're the lowest form of something. I stop listening [:D]. I just like the open engine compartment but I can't chop since I'm a big monkay.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Dang that is the strangest front suspension I have ever see attached to a one piece straight axel but springs on an angle Would not this push whole front end side to side instead of up & down[?][?][?][?][?][?]
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Buell uses The Same Setup For their Bikes
  • Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    If you do decide to build it. We want before and during pictures.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    No I have not, but seen this one at a car/hotrod show last summer.
    Dang cool.
    RatPatrol1.jpg

RatPatrol2.jpg
    C[8D][8D]L rod
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got to thinking about it; how would you register a rat rod? Base it off whatever chassis and VIN you started out with?[?]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm guessing it would be similiar to building a homemade trailer. A DMV agent comes out and gives you a VIN, which must then be stamped onto the frame, then you can get a title and registration.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wanted to build a motorcycle trike from scratch.The woman at the highway patrol station me I would need a receipt for every part used to build it so could determine a value so they could set a fee to licence it.This is in Washington State.

XXXXXX
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    Just got to thinking about it; how would you register a rat rod? Base it off whatever chassis and VIN you started out with?[?]

The way I hear it is the VIN number off the chassi or on the body. Also that's another reason why some of the rust bucket with a clean papers goes for a mint.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I built a 1929 model T with my father in law. He did most of the work. We sold it to an organization that runs Ocean spray cranberries in tabernacle NJ. We used the car when my wife and I first got married. Bought it out of an old barn for 500 bucks. We put about 5,000 into it and sold her for 10,000. I miss the old girl.I want to do a project with my son but I will admit, I am no car mechanic.[;)]
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every Okie I know works on anything that has wheels and I know this to be true because they all have backyards full of wheeled things.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I thought this was going to be about hot rods that had the Rat motor, but appears the rat is referring to something else.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EVILDR235
    I wanted to build a motorcycle trike from scratch.The woman at the highway patrol station me I would need a receipt for every part used to build it so could determine a value so they could set a fee to licence it.This is in Washington State.

XXXXXX

Yep and also to prove the parts are bought not stolen. Have every receipt for the HD I'm Building. Engine, Trans, Frame and Front end is all that you really need. Frame will have my Vin since its already stamped.