In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Star Trek - in IMAX

MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
We went to see the new Star Trek movie yesterday on an IMAX theater. WOW what a movie! The movie was great and viewing it on an IMAX screen was sensory overload. A few times during the movie I caught myself grabbing the arms of the seat so I would quit moving.

I won't spoil the movie for you but the story takes place before the series started so it is basically a gathering of the team that we watched in the original series.

If you like Star Trek you will enjoy this movie.
Regards, MAALOX

Comments

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    lucky you, closest imax around here is saint louis science center, they waste it on nature films with an occasional kids movie
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was OK. Did not live up to the hype, though.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The IMAX theater in Birmingham is always showing things like "under the Ocean"....or "Trains of all kinds." I never see any advertisments for any REAL movies. I guess it is because it is in the McWayne Center which is a children's science fair on sterroids. School field trips from everywhere fill that thing daily.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maalox
    We went to see the new Star Trek movie yesterday on an IMAX theater. WOW what a movie! The movie was great and viewing it on an IMAX screen was sensory overload. A few times during the movie I caught myself grabbing the arms of the seat so I would quit moving.

I won't spoil the movie for you but the story takes place before the series started so it is basically a gathering of the team that we watched in the original series.

I LOVED the original Trek, do the actors who play Kirk and Spock live up to Shatner and Nimoy??
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf

I LOVED the original Trek, do the actors who play Kirk and Spock live up to Shatner and Nimoy??

I thought the young Kirk did. The young Spock was good but not quite as analytical as the old Spock. I missed "All the hype" so i had no expectations going in. The IMAX experience was pretty cool so I'm sure that added some to the enjoyment factor
    Regards, MAALOX
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    The IMAX theater in Birmingham is always showing things like "under the Ocean"....or "Trains of all kinds." I never see any advertisments for any REAL movies. I guess it is because it is in the McWayne Center which is a children's science fair on sterroids. School field trips from everywhere fill that thing daily.

We went to the IMAX at Channelside in Tampa. This is part of a Cinema 10 so they typically show first run movies there.

There is another IMAX at the MOSI Museum and they show the nature stuff there. Children's fieldtrip heaven [:D]
    Regards, MAALOX
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I saw the new movie the other night(not on IMAX, I wish). It is a great movie if you have never seen any Star Trek, a lot of action and several humerous moments. The actor playing McCoy was one of the best ones I thought.
    If you are a true Trekkie you might be disapointed due to the fact the Trek timeline has been jumped and nothing is in the order it use to be.
    I grew up watching Star Trek and always take the new shows or movies with a open mind, I liked Enterprise. I liked the movie and I think it could infuse a new life into the ST franchise. The sequeal will be the telling factor.
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf

I thought the young Kirk did. The young Spock was good but not quite as analytical as the old Spock. I missed "All the hype" so i had no expectations going in. The IMAX experience was pretty cool so I'm sure that added some to the enjoyment factor

Got to remember that the young Spock is still dealing with his emotions and the tragic event that happens in the movie. He hadn't evolved into the more analytical/logical Spock yet.
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    I loved it. I think the scottie guy's accent was a hoot.
    Also Chekoff. Remember, it took years for the original characters
    to loose a bit of their accents.[:D]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Know this is an Old one but we fianlly got an IMax theater and Harry Potter is showing in it. I even used Fandango to purchase the ticket. Went to try and get in Yesterday and it was a zoo. So now I don't have to fight the crowd at least part way.