In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trick or treat from days gone by

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in General Discussion
When I was a kid (1950's), all of the treats you received were: fruit, homemade candy, homemade cookies, popcorn balls, caramel apples and whatever else that was homemade. No store bought candy.

I remember a dentist in town would give all the kids, visiting his house, a toothbrush.
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember as a kid of the early 60's it meant the most candy I would get in a year ( a very rare thing having candy or treats at our house as most I would guess )
    always at night countless kids wondering the town ( pillow case was the chosen loot hauler [:D][:D] ) some home made stuff still passed out and even a few houses pass out full size candy bars OMG rich people we loved them at that time the biggest fear was a razor blade in a apple rumor . no child molesters (at least to speak of like today ) no drugs to worry about just all fun
    too bad the kids today can not enjoy a night like that now [:(][:(]
    I hated the hand made popcorn balls [xx(] and that dam wax candy corn some would toss a few in the bag ,
    now I realize they had little money and were still trying to please the kids [^][^]

Oh I also remember the bigger kids bullying or taking the smaller kids candy [:(!][:(!][:(!]
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was young we lived on a farm; "nest door" neighbor was miles away.

We went to granddad's house and an uncle's house and it was time to go home.
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could go for a good caramel apple and a few popcorn balls [:D][:D]
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loved the candy apples we got. All the home made cookies and treat. Those were some good times. [^][:)]
  • Options
    Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always had popcorn balls and candied apples in the late 40's and early 50's,Plus you always took a bar of soap with you JIC. Sadly those days are gone forever,RIP.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always like getting the popcorn balls, caramel apples...[:p]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the day, I would get pizzed when folks dropped several pennies in my bag....until the end of the night and it added up to a dollar or so...

I was slow on the uptake...
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never went trick or treating until I had kids that wanted to go. The only thing we did when I was growing up was go to the Halloween Carnival at our school. Seniors were allowed to set it up in the old gym to make a little money for class functions.
    I live today within a 1/4 mile of the "old home place", and we still get no trick or treaters out here.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    I always like getting the popcorn balls, caramel apples...[:p]

Trinity +++

good memories right there!
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on pillow cases for loot. The Paper bags would bust out on the bottom all too soon for the novice.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid, there was still quite a bit of outhouse upsetting, pigs on the porch, and the occasional milk cow "misplaced". The best(?) was the year 6 or 8 eight industrious teenage boys dis-assembled a wagon and re-assembled it on the hardware store roof astraddle of the peak. Made for quite a sight but the 5th to 8th grade room of our two room school was surprisingly sparsely occupied for several hours next morning (until the wagon was back on the ground and ready for normal use).
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I always made sure to hit one house when I was a kid.
    She made the best popcorn balls I've ever ate. [:p]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tneff1969
    I could go for a good caramel apple and a few popcorn balls [:D][:D]

Only if I made them Myself or Knew the person making them. But seems as a kid I knew all houses I visited. Not like now where they go to houses in other Neighborhoods. A few of the houses you went to 1st cause you knew whatever they were giving out would be the best. Get there to lat and you got store bought.