In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My CC application saga Added: Round 4

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
After 10 years or so I decided to get off my butt and submit an application. I have had pictures taken in the past but just never followed thru and applied,

So, I had photos taken at WallyWorld Friday and took off early Monday AM to Batesville MS (30 miles) to apply. Guess what? Closed for Confederate Holliday!! In all my years of living in the South, I have never heard of such.

Added: DPS: Highway Patrol issues the permits.

I was so PO'd, I didn't go back until today. Guess what, they only process applications Monday and Tuesday!! No sign on door nor any indication when they accept applications. You just got to call or visit office to find this out.

If all goes well, I will try to be there Monday or Tuesday AM with notarized application and $132.00. The fee is $100 and $32 to fingerprint fee.

At least we do not have to take any kind of test unless we want an ENHANCED permit which will allow me to carry in a court house or cat house or something. End of semi rant. Tom

PS: Send me back to Alabam!! All I had to do when I lived there, go to Sheriff and ask for permit. He would have clerk print out one and it was free!! Several years back now. Don't know the procedure now. Tom

ADDED ROUND 4: I Finally made it to Batesville Monday 5th and submitted application. Lady asks where is page 3. I didn't have a page 3 which had one check mark I had failed to see, It only asked ifI had ever been convicted and HAD to be Notarized! Luckily, the Court house was only about 5 miles away so Itook care of that in pretty short order. Returned and finally got my application accepted.

Life was good until Wednesday's phone call. Guess what? They forgot to fingerprint me!! Now I get to return for the 4th time and MAYBE my application will go foreward.

Another really fouled up procedure: The instructions require you to bring TWO passport photos. Well, they only take one you bring in, and they take the other one in office!! Why in the livin heck can't they just take BOTH photos in the office???

One bright spot: Friend is getting an ENHANCED CARRY class together and for half price ($60) the endorcement will allow me to carry in a court house unless baned by judge or someting. I don't really see the need for it but what the heck, the class is full and there are some pretty good looking gals taking the class, Tom

Comments

• Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    A free man doesn't ask for permission to carry a gun.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Calruger, I agree and MS is an open carry state. You just have to jump thru the hoops for concealed.?? Why must you have a permit to carry concealed?? I don't have a clue. Tom

PS: I think open carry is * T
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    A free man doesn't ask for permission to carry a gun CONCEALED.

Is that more clear?
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1

So how well does that workout in Cali when you strap on a loaded gun and open carry to go buy a gallon of milk? [8D]

Just messing with you, I know it is a mess out there, but someday it may turn around. [:)]
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave

So how well does that workout in Cali when you strap on a loaded gun and open carry to go buy a gallon of milk? [8D]

Just messing with you, I know it is a mess out there, but someday it may turn around. [:)]

I plead the fifth.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tccox
    Calruger, I agree and MS is an open carry state. You just have to jump thru the hoops for concealed.?? Why must you have a permit to carry concealed?? I don't have a clue. Tom

PS: I think open carry is * T

Louisiana is the same way, you can open carry all you want, but have to take a class and ask the state permission to CC. It's just another way for the state to nickle and dime you for something.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I understand the sentiment and do not disagree with it, but a free man who understands and appreciates the benefits of living in a civil society will respect the rule of law.

Right now, in most jurisdictions the law requires a permit to carry a firearm (concealed). While one can argue that the law is, in fact, an unjust one, I evaluate the "level" of injustice and balance that against my respect for the rule-of-law.

While I'll support the elimination of "permitting" laws -- in favor of legal carry without permits -- I do not find the current laws to be at a level of injustice that they would call for me to ignore my respect for the rule-of-law.
  • Options
    breddyrrtbreddyrrt Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom,

I waited to the last day to renew my cc. Guess what I went on confederate memorial day. Cost me $50 late fee. I did the exact same thing four years later. I never learn.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Its not respect, its your fear of your master. Do what you're told,boy![;)]quote:Originally posted by competentone

I understand the sentiment and do not disagree with it, but a free man who understands and appreciates the benefits of living in a civil society will respect the rule of law.

Right now, in most jurisdictions the law requires a permit to carry a firearm (concealed). While one can argue that the law is, in fact, an unjust one, I evaluate the "level" of injustice and balance that against my respect for the rule-of-law.

While I'll support the elimination of "permitting" laws -- in favor of legal carry without permits -- I do not find the current laws to be at a level of injustice that they would call for me to ignore my respect for the rule-of-law.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone

Everybody has a line. Hopefully you find yours before it ends up behind you.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

True statement, and the law requiring otherwise is itself illegal. However, "a free man" is a distant memory and I see no evidence he will ever return. The government at all the various levels has the wherewithal to enforce their unrighteous controls over me, so to maintain the illusion of freedom (not being locked up) I have two concealed carry permits.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tccox, I live south of you near Meridian and yes the first time is a confusing hassle. I was practically the first guy in line back in the early 90's when the permits became available. The process hasn't changed much except the confusing days to get processed, which changes by location. The theory being you could drive to another "Troop" post if your nearest one did not match up with perhaps a non-flexible work schedule.

The open carry hoopla really started as a clarification of existing law regarding concealed carry and the occasional exposed gun due to a gust of wind, snagged shirt, bending over etc. etc. The result was that open carry is now clearly & legally defined, instead of vague and solely dependent on local lawman mood at the moment.

I would recommend the enhanced permit and ignore the privately posted "no handguns" signs.[8]
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a pretty complicated process. Been a while since I first applied in AR but it seems like it was a 4 hour safety class (didn't learn anything) with a few rounds fired on the range. The people running the class handled the paperwork, had you sign it, took your check and 3 weeks later the permit arrived in the mail. Renewals unfortunately involve a 1 hour refresher on the range and filling out a brief form.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Absolutely correct. Carry, conceal, and shut the heck up about it.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

It's alot simper here but, sadly, still have to get one to be legal. Open carry no problem. [:)]

South Dakota Concealed Firearm Permit Information

Concealed Permit:
    Shall Issue to Residents only.

Issuing Authority:
    South Dakota Secretary of State - A Permit to Carry a Concealed Pistol may be obtained from the sheriff of the county which the applicant is a resident

NICS/Background Check:
    Prior to issuing the permit, the sheriff shall execute a background investigation, including a criminal history check, of every applicant for the purposes of verify the qualifications of the applicant pursuant to the requirements. A background investigation is defined as a computer check of available on-line records.

Permit Valid For:
    The permit is valid for 4 years.

Permit Issued Timeline:
    The sheriff will issue a temporary permit within five days from the date of application. Within seven days after the temporary permit has been issued, the sheriff sends a copy of the application to the secretary of state who issues the official permit

Cost:
    The fee for a permit to carry is $10.00.

Requirements:
    1. Is eighteen years-of age or older;
    2. Has never pled guilty to, nolo contendere to, or been convicted of a felony or a crime of violence; Note: "Crime of violence" is defined in SDCL 22-1-2 (9)
    3. Is not habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition;
    4. Has no history of violence;
    5. Has not been found in the previous ten years to be a "danger to others" or a "danger to self" as defined in SDCL 27A-1-1 or is not currently adjudged mentally incompetent;
    6. Has been a resident of the county or municipality where the application is being made for at least thirty days;
    7. Has had no violations of chapter 23-7, firearms control, 22-14, unlawful use of weapons, or 22-42, controlled substances; marijuana, in the five years preceding the date of application;
    8. Is a citizen of the United States; and
    9. Is not a fugitive from justice.

Required Documents:
    1. The applicant must complete a form called an Application for a Temporary Permit to Carry a Concealed Pistol. The information required for the permit includes (SDCL 23-7-8): the applicant's name, address, occupation, place and date of birth, physical description, a statement that the applicant has never pled guilty to, nolo contendere to, or been convicted of a felony or crime of violence, a statement that the information on the application is true and correct, and the applicant's signature.

Places off-limits when carrying:
    1. An establishment licensed to serve alcoholic beverages on the premises if the establishment derives more than 50% of its sales from alcoholic beverages
    2. A county courthouse
    3. An elementary or secondary school premises, including school vehicles or buildings
    4. A snowmobile, unless firearm is unloaded and entirely enclosed in a carrying case
    5. A game preserve or refuge unless the permit holder is:
    a. On a public highway and the firearm is enclosed in a case
    b. A resident within the preserve or refuge and is carrying the firearm to use against non-game and predatory animals or birds on his or her own premises.

Open Carry:
    Unrestricted under state law in most public areas.

Localities with Varying Laws:
    No county, municipality, or township may pass any ordinance that restricts possession, transportation, sale, transfer, ownership, manufacture or repair of firearms or ammunition or their component.

Forms & Links:
    South Dakota Secretary of State - Concealed Pistol Permits
    NRA-ILA: South Dakota Gun Laws

Permit(s) Honored In:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

Permit(s) Not Honored In:
    California, Connecticut, Delaware, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, New York City, Ohio, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Washington, Wisconsin, American Samoa, District of Columbia, N. Mariana Islands

Res Permits Only:
    Colorado, Florida, Maine, Michigan

Because Oregon will not honor any other states Permit. So the others say Screw you. And they are right.