In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cast bullets

9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
Are cast bullets ok to shoot out of a 1911 barrel. Will it get all fouled up?? Im asking because Ive never loaded anything but FMJ's but the price of bullets is so high, I was thinking of getting 1000 cast or plated from Berry's.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I've got the firewood laid in for the winter, and I didn't draw any tags this year so what does a guy do to pass the time when the snow comes?
    I can hunt ducks, I guess, but I,m really looking forward to cold weather so I can hang out in the garage and cast next years supply of plinking bullets.
    I cast for .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .38/357, .30 cal and .54 black powder.
    Does anyone else enjoy casting bullets, or am I just a lifeless hermit?
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cast every chance I get. My son is getting a new exhaust system set up for my pots.I do the same with no BP but I also do 7MM, 458 and 44,
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I cast for exotic calibers I can't buy. Mixing alloys is a lot of fun for me too.
  • Options
    big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where you guy's get your lead?
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Lots of good video of different methods of bullet casting here, i have watched hours of vid. on the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_IOKQf_tgw
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been casting for thirty years. Originally for muzzle loading, but I also load for.38/357, and 45. I scrounge lead from tire centers and local garages. A couple of six packs works wonders[:)]
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I am going to start this year. I need 38wcf and 38-55.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I shoot more cast than jacketed. Lately I've been trying paper patching. Very old school.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Now casting .35,.38/.357,.45,.45-70, and .50.

Get all my lead free from the club berms. TONS!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Big geno,
    Iv'e been scrounging lead for years. tire shops are good, but watch for zink wheelweights they are usualy the stick-on type and will screw up the mix.
    Also plumbing shops. Lead is no longer alowed in much of anything, but was used in plumbing for 100 years. most will have some lying around. friends are also a good source. put out the word you pour your own bullets and the lead comes rolling in. don't forget the six-pack rule.[8D]
    ranges can also be a gold {lead} mine. It doesn't hurt to ask.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Interesting, I've found that most stick on types are nearly pure lead. The zinc ones are in the clip on mix.

One plus, zinc has a higher melt point than lead. I use a thermometer and make sure my casting temp doesn't get over 600 degrees when melting down wheelweights, and any zinc just floats on the surface. While lead itself doesn't melt at this temperature, wheelweights do due to the tin mix. On the other hand zinc melts at 692 degrees, so that's enough margin for error.

Not that I find zinc as horrible as some do. You run your mix hot, 800 degrees, it usually fills out unless it is a very small mold.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jonk,
    Thanks for the info, I don't use a thermometer, but I think I might get one now based on your comment.
    I have lots of questionable wheelweights lying around.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold 1100 pounds this spring and have about 600 pounds left. Will probably sell it this week. It's all soft lead. I have about 60 pounds of wheel weights in small round ingots. Been getting 16 cents a pound.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Need to get some molds, have most everything else to include lead. Local tire shop knows me now.[:o)]