In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

As If You Needed More Science...

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
...telling you smoking tobacco is best given up.

No preaching, just a good, concise article to give fence sitters a push.

Going on two years without a puff and wish I'd done it a lifetime ago.

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm568923.htm

Smoke is smoke when inhaled and I can't help but feel Colorado, California, Oregon, and other states are condemning yet another generation to addiction for tax money regarding legalized reefer.

Between the reefer and cellphones, a lot of * are going to an early grave.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are smoking cell phones now?
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they are ignoring the fact that 90% of smoking is mental not physical. so how is lowering nicotine going to help the majority problem
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Bad stat Rem, everyone's chemistry is NOT alike.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im so glad I quit that crap about 4 years ago. It was tough but I used some nicotine gum instead of switching to dip... that was the end of the cigs for Ros
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doctor gave me a script for Wellbutrin, and that got me off dip after chewing on and off for 20+ years. I'd stopped even for years before but always would go back. The Wellbutrin got rid of that heavenly nicotine rush, and without that you're just sticking some dead leaves in your mouth and spitting a lot.

That and a whole lot of pictures of people who'd had half their face cut off from cancer surgery did the trick for me. It's been over seven years now and every week or two I'll still get a twinge. Those tobacco hooks sink in deep.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good on ya, all who have quit. I seem to be among the very lucky without the "addiction" gene. I tried smoking and even chew in earlier years. Didn't really like either one, and never got hooked. Both my parents were heavy smokers, though. Dad died with his second heart attack and Mom had mini-strokes for years, one of which finally killed her. She quit smoking cold turkey at age 80 or so, but not soon enough, apparently.

Ironically, it was a doctor who told her to start smoking. This was during WWII when she was a sergeant, and the Doc told her smoking would help calm her nerves. Boy, how times and medical practices have changed, huh?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    they are ignoring the fact that 90% of smoking is mental not physical. so how is lowering nicotine going to help the majority problem

And where did you get that figure.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eventually the fall out from the chemical in the Vape will become another issue.

I hated smoking and yet still miss it sometimes.

I am glad to no longer be a slave to the butts though, I often didn't smoke when I wanted to but just because.

I fear trying to enjoy a cigar due to the possibility of falling off the wagon
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All cigarette smoke is not the same. The manufacturers control the amount of nicotine in each brand. The government is not considering a requirement that they lower the nicotine in all cigarettes. Nicotine is what gets you addicted. Maybe that will help those who want to quit.

Neal
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    everybody has to die of something...many accelerate the process..i look forward to the social costs down the road over tax money to waste now
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Getting a divorce was child's play compared to giving up smoking for good 19 years ago. I thought stopping smoking was the hardest thing I ever did. Now I find something much harder to accomplish. Losing the weight I gained (42 pounds) after I quit. Give or take a few it is constant 265-270 pounds.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Getting a divorce was child's play compared to giving up smoking for good 19 years ago. I thought stopping smoking was the hardest thing I ever did. Now I find something much harder to accomplish. Losing the weight I gained (42 pounds) after I quit. Give or take a few it is constant 265-270 pounds.

Have to agree, I kept the weight off for many years. But with decreased activity the weight started adding up.