In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Really dumb Question

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
At least to me. I live here in the heart of Christmas tree land.

They grow naturally all around.

So then why does every corner in town have a tree lot on them. if money is so short go get a permit to cut one from the Forest.

Me I just do not put up one.

Comments

• Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    people are too damned lazy to cut their own!..it`s most likely that simple...
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Money may be short for some, but not all
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet alot don't know how
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    A lot of ppl wont spend the time it takes to find the "perfect" tree...and if it can go on plastic, so much the better, at least to them...

I love getting out looking for one...I remember falling down in the snow more than once, getting so cold, but had to get the "right tree" according to my daughter....we always got it, and came home to hot chocolate and good times....

Now?...I still come home to hot chocolate and so many good times and lots of love, but its an artifical tree....
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    same reason they voted for obama,they just don't know no btter
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,666 ******
    edited November -1
    Cedar trees grow wild around here. Some folks weren't well off back in the old days and the lowly cedar was the Christmas tree they grew up with. Ocassionally, someone will come to my farm and ask if they can cut a cedar for a Christmas tree, for old times sake. I tell them if they take one, they have to take 10. (I have a couple hundred).[8D]
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We burn cedars here.
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    We used cedars that we cut here in the Ozarks for many years, but with
    wood heat, by the end of the Christmas season, they're sooooo dry and
    messy that we finally went artificial.

I always enjoyed the finding/cutting of them though.[:)]
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a "Griswold Family Christmas Tree" growing out back on our property, but I don't think I'll cut it down!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    AzhunterAzhunter Member Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here $25.00 for the permit, but tack on $80.00 for gas and a 5-7 hr round trip to get it. I think I'll just be "lazy" and go to the corner....[:o)]
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in New Orleans, I'll pay $100 for the right tree. I can't just cut my own, like I did in Pa. I love a live tree, and will never have an artificial.
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last time we went to the mountains and cut a tree it took 3 hours of driving. .5 hours struggling through waist deep snow to get to the perfect tree my wife saw from the road.
    I cut it down and drug it to the truck even though it had no branches on one side.
    I told her it was that tree or no tree.
    The only good part was it sat right next to the wall so it didn't take up to much room.
    We go to the U-Cut place now.
    $25 and she gets to wander all over looking for the perfect tree.
    My sister in law found the perfect tree one year.
    My brother in law dropped a 50 foot tree so she could have the top 6 foot.
    We did burn the rest next year in hunting camp.
  • Options
    Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    I remember when I was a kid my family cut down our trees every year. Sice we dont own a suv or a truch we (myu fiance and I) bought a fake tree. I would love to go cut a tree down but then again we are one block out of chicago.

Picture028.jpg
    Picture027.jpg
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No real tree for us. Against the rules for our apartment complex. I suppose some idiot/idiots who let theirs dry out and set it up right in front of the heat register ruined it for everybody. Come to think of it, after reading what I just wrote and thinking about some of the people who live in our apartment complex I am glad that real trees aren't allowed here.

Jon
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure miss the aroma of a cut Christmas tree. Cedars are a plenty around here, and I remember as a kid many folks having them. Now, almost everyone has a fake tree.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    i cant remember ever paying more than 50 for a tree, and thats at teh very outside.

if the permit is 25; add to that the gas for the truck, gas for the saw, the time necessary to find a place to cut a tree, get there, cut it, get back and your over 50 bucks. i'll just go to teh normally adandoned lot at the corner and pick one thats had all that other stuff done for me, thank you.
  • Options
    aka rottenaka rotten Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is this permit ya,ll speak of?Thanks,Paul
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    $50...$70..for a christmas tree [:0]..there ain`t no recession there yet!
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "people are too damned lazy to cut their own!..it`s most likely that simple"....HELL I JUST SHOOT MINE[:D], 30+ YEARS AND I'VE NEVER NEEDED A SAW
  • Options
    Rocky4windsRocky4winds Member Posts: 760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    $8 for a permit here. We usually go out and tag our own tree every year. We take the sleds and find snow to play in. It is all fun, even the year we had a flat tire, and I couldn't get the spare to drop down, when it did drop it was almost flat itself. We left with enough daylight to find a tree, but ended up looking for a tree with a couple of flashlights. Oh, and it was about 10 degrees with a 30 mph wind blowing. Usually it isn't that much fun.

Maybe someday when I am old I'll get an artificial tree or stop going to get my own. It isn't about the money.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    when i lived on the east coast, the new wife talked me into cutting our own tree.
    we spent 6 hours wandering around looking at trees, but none were "quite right".(according to my lovely bride)
    by now, our hands and feet were numb and i kept dropping the hand saw.
    On the way home i stopped at a tree lot and bought the first on i saw.
    merry christmas honey.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    went out & cut cedar for years...took 6 months to get all needles, etc out of everything & it was like storing gasoline & matches in living room....no more...now chinee plastik...aren't we PC
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    Im single and my son lives on his own so I don't even bother with a tree...hows that for lazy?[8D]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have cut our own tree six or seven times.
    A few years back I saw a tree that I liked. It was the top six feet of a 24 foot tree.
    I gave my girlfriend the bow saw, and I began climbing the tree. I got about 15 feet high, and the tree bent right over to the ground. I hopped off, still holding on to the trunk. My girlfriend cut off the top, and I let go.
    The tree sprang back into place, it was now 18 feet high, and had a flat top.

I guess the statue of limitations is up, I will tell the story of bandit tree cutting.
    When I lived in central Georgia, my buddy was a big duck hunter, always cruising around the woods in the state forest hunting the creeks and beaver ponds.
    He told me he had found the secret government Christmas tree stash.
    He found a plot of a hundred manicured trees, growing way back in the woods. He learned that they sent prison inmates out to manicure these trees, fertilize them, etc. Then various government officials would get a tree for free.
    He said, if I would drive, he would get me a tree.
    I let him off about 8pm, on the Vinson Highway. He hiked off into the dark with a little flashlight and a bow saw.
    An hour later, I returned to the spot. My buddy was hiding in the bushes. He threw two trees into my truck. He was laughing like hell.
    The tag on his tree said "Captain XXXXX, State Patrol."
    The tag on my tree said "Warden XXXXX, State Prison."

We thought that was pretty funny, but, the officers still had 98 more trees to choose from.
    The next year, I asked my buddy if he wanted to get some more free trees. He declined, he figured he has used up all his luck the last year.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Think the Price I saw was 7.95 per foot for noble Fir.