In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

All set for flooding here in Central CA.

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
Got the Generator gassed up, Chain saw is set, batteries charged, and lots of beer![:D]

Forecast is now measured in feet of rain in 48 hours. Santa Cruz/Monteray County is now the bulls eye.

Comments

• Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be worse if snow was in the mix...

Get your umbrella and foul weather gear ready!
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sucks. Be safe. I have CA on my bucket list of places to see before I die. I want to see the wine country the most, followed by San Fran, and San Diego. My family has all been there and love it. The always say it is one of the most beautiful states in the country. I haven't been past Nebraska[V]. Been all over Canada and the south and north, but never all the way out west. Anything has to be better then Joisy[;)][;)][;)][:D]
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    We got 30"+ in less than 48hrs from a no named storm, this past August. The coast guard was conducting airboat rescues less than a mile away from the house.

Good luck, keep us posted, and don't wait too long to get out.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

Does this indicate the severe drought in CA is not history?

[:D][:0]

Most of this water will go straight to the Ocean. The limited reservoirs will catch a bunch but they do not hold enough to do much good. They need slow soaking rains and snow pack to help the drought.

The Aquifers have been drawn down so low it would take years of rain to build them back up.

So no the drought is only eased.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are supposed to get the northern part of your rain, but a bit less...and the freezing kind.

I spent the day the same way you did. I have the generator gassed up and ready, the chainsaws are sharpened, the beer is cold, and just when I thought I was needing to go to the liquor store for some mixin' whiskey a friend stopped by with a 1/2 gallon of McNaughton's.

Seems he felt guilty about me helping him with his generator last year, and remembered when he was getting it prepped, so he ran and got two bottles. [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All but my chainsaw is ready. but then all I would need to do is gas it up and that I picked up today.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    That sucks. Be safe. I have CA on my bucket list of places to see before I die. I want to see the wine country the most, followed by San Fran, and San Diego. My family has all been there and love it. The always say it is one of the most beautiful states in the country. I haven't been past Nebraska[V]. Been all over Canada and the south and north, but never all the way out west. Anything has to be better then Joisy[;)][;)][;)][:D]

Oh Schmit! Where I live, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. I find some of the best ones are old school small batch wineries. EOS is just one of my favorites. https://www.eosvintage.com/
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well you and the other members need to take a road trip so i dont feel so bad for wishing the state would wash into the ocean
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need all the water we can get. Lake Tahoe is down, as is Mono Lake, Crowley Lake and many other small lakes in the Sierra Nevada Range. Its likely our drought will be over after this winter.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I was sure that all those tears from melting snowflakes would flood SOMEWHERE!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    I was sure that all those tears from melting snowflakes would flood SOMEWHERE!

[:D][:D][:D] Lol We have flooding but not near the 1982 levels. I have gotten 5+ inches in the last 48 hours the hills above me are x2 of that. The rain for now has slowed but the wind is picking up to 20 MPH+ that will test 200' Redwood trees/Pines that have suffered the drought.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Round two is a coming. Too bad we got no place to store all that water.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flooding: I thought you were describing what is happening along the border.[:o)]
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The drought water use restrictions are still in place despite widespread flooding and full resevoirs.
  • Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in northern CA, wine country and man it is currently raining buckets.
  • Options
    WMClarkWMClark Member Posts: 821
    edited November -1
    m88.358win, FrancF stay safe.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    best of luck to the west coast members

I have relation living in California have not seen them fore 30 or 40 years
    I would like to visit but same with New York I will never step foot in the states until the dems and libs have all been voted out or washed away and the constitution is back in power
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    Could be worse if snow was in the mix...

Get your umbrella and foul weather gear ready!

Actually it is worse cause its a warm rain so the snow will be melting too.