In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A little more on Chris Kyle

mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
Well, well, well. I guess I owe Mr. Kyle an apology. It seems that in addition to killing 255 men in Iraq, being the best shot in the SEALs, signing the Declaration of Independence, beating up John Glenn and Neil Armstrong, fathering 98 children, and cutting the Gordian Knot, he did a lot of other stuff too.

Well, stuff that can't be verified. . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/30/the-complicated-but-unveriable-legacy-of-chris-kyle-the-deadliest-sniper-in-american-history/?tid=hp_mm

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The point has been proven in court he was a liar. That speaks for itself. When you knock a god off his pedestal, the townsfolk will come after you with pitchforks.

The intellectually dishonest ones anyway.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know virtually nothing about Kyle and what happened in his life. But as far as the Pentagon confirming 160 kills while he claimed 255, it is not uncommon for kills to go unconfirmed. Or for the shooter to think he scored a hit when he didn't. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I also have no idea what transpired between Kyle and Ventura (if anything) but after 6 days of considering the evidence a jury decided Kyle made up the story about Ventura "running his mouth" as kyle described it in a TV interview.

Kyle may have felt the need keep getting bigger and better with his stories. Too bad, his reality was big enough for most men.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    The point has been proven in court he was a liar. That speaks for itself. When you knock a god off his pedestal, the townsfolk will come after you with pitchforks.

The intellectually dishonest ones anyway.

Not necessarily true.
    "I did not have sexual relations with ...." POTUS # 42
    "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it" POTUS # 44

The difference is #42 & 44, had the ultimate defense and protection racket called main stream media MSM.
  • Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    Step outside of the rumor and the court ruling for a moment.

Telling a story like this is one thing but the addition of a famous person is going a bit far, to be a false story anyway.
    I think there is some truth to it somewhat.

True or false, going after a widow shows ventura has a dirty way about him. And yes this takes money from the widow, as she controls his estate.

Want to save face, then don't accept the money over the legal fees.
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [/quote]Step outside of the rumor and the court ruling for a moment.

Telling a story like this is one thing but the addition of a famous person is going a bit far, to be a false story anyway.

True or false, going after a widow shows ventura has a dirty way about him. And yes this takes money from the widow, as she controls his estate.

Want to save face, then don't accept the money over the legal fees. [/quote]

Actually, he sued the guy individually. He died, so the estate was substituted in its place. Someone brought up the issue of Bernie Madoff - should his wife profit from Madoff's wrongdoing? Of course not.

Actually, what ticks me off no end is when someone says "Well, he doesn't need the money". I say "BS". I've had (former) clients tell me that "You don't need the money, I need to pay my electric bill". You know what? I want to pay my electric bill too. Ventura wants to pay his electric bill. He's not his bank. He's not there so that a parasite can leech off him to sell a book. He's not his girlfriend, so he doesn't get to F him for free.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So accepting everything on face value, what is the percentage the book sales can be proven is related to the Ventura story. I don't know but I heard that Ventura's name was not mentioned in the book.
    So based on what does book receipts come into play? How did Kyle profit from the Ventura story?
    Ventura in my opinion already had questionable character so how was it damaged? Personally I always thought he was a freaking nutcase.
    But it does not matter anyhow. Juries have let OJ go, Casey Anthony set free, etc. So winning in court just means winning, not finding justice.
    I guess next Ventura will sue the Predator for blasting him apart.
    Maybe a few people should start to sue Ventura for some of the wild accusations he made in his stupid "conspiracy" claims. What a POS.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    So accepting everything on face value, what is the percentage the book sales can be proven is related to the Ventura story. I don't know but I heard that Ventura's name was not mentioned in the book.
    So based on what does book receipts come into play? How did Kyle profit from the Ventura story?
    Ventura in my opinion already had questionable character so how was it damaged? Personally I always thought he was a freaking nutcase.
    But it does not matter anyhow. Juries have let OJ go, Casey Anthony set free, etc. So winning in court just means winning, not finding justice.
    Maybe a few people should start to sue Ventura for some of the wild accusations he made in his stupid "conspiracy" claims. What a POS.

Did you actually read the story? Saying he shot two guys in a gas station carjacking, even though no gas station in the area and no police department in the area has any recollection of any such thing? Saying he shot 30 people in New Orleans after Katrina even though no officer has any recollection of him being sent there?

Chris Kyle shot a whole lot of people in Iraq. He also seems to be, like a lot of people, a guy who isn't above telling a wild tale or two. The one he told about Ventura was shockingly ugly and an outright lie, and I'm glad Ventura got his vindication.
  • Options
    edited November -1

+1

To famous people, any publisty is good publisty. Miley Cyrus for example, Jessica Simpson and her ditzy act made money.

Another thing I read on Wikipedia.
    Ventura never claimed to be a VN vet that saw combat, but he suggested he did and allowed rumors of him serving to go without correction.
    That alone should show what a turd he his.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legear

+1

To famous people, any publisty is good publisty. Miley Cyrus for example, Jessica Simpson and her ditzy act made money.

Another thing I read on Wikipedia.
    Ventura never claimed to be a VN vet that saw combat, but he suggested he did and allowed rumors of him serving to go without correction.
    That alone should show what a turd he his.

If Kyles' estate figures it's an unjust verdict, they are free to appeal. If they are satisfied justice was served, they won't. They may appeal the award, but I doubt they want to be proven liars again.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It can be twisted, shouted and said backwards ... Ventura Won. Some forum members cannot accept that and make up excuses about nonsense. Blah blah blah... And those Seals standing next to Kyles fantasy island stories.. Well if they still back that up.. they need to get evaluated by professionals.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Karma is somethign isn't it? I suspect he took most of his kills from a distance, ambushing his prey, and he apparently died in much the same way, being ambushed. He like most of his prey probably never saw it coming.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

That is the way I feel to
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Karma is somethign isn't it? I suspect he took most of his kills from a distance, ambushing his prey, and he apparently died in much the same way, being ambushed. He like most of his prey probably never saw it coming.

I never thought of that. Ironic.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    It can be twisted, shouted and said backwards ... Ventura Won. Some forum members cannot accept that and make up excuses about nonsense. Blah blah blah... And those Seals standing next to Kyles fantasy island stories.. Well if they still back that up.. they need to get evaluated by professionals.

With crooks awarded settlements from the homeowner they tried to steal from, OJ going free on murder, and murderers serving less time than someone caught with an illegal suppressor, you really put full faith in the justice or civil court system to do what makes sense? I hope never have my fate decided by a jury, alot of times it's the idiots of our nation deciding.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    To paraphrase something I once heard somebody say, "Do you really want your verdict decided by a group of people too stupid to know how to get out of jury duty?"

I see no difference in Kyle's lies and Ventura's lies about his VN service. "Sins of omission" Sister Immaculate called them. If you don't come clean and set the record straight, it is just as big a lie as lying outright.

So the court decided who was the bigger liar, against someone who wasn't here to defend himself.

And that's justice?
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln

Did you actually read the story? Saying he shot two guys in a gas station carjacking, even though no gas station in the area and no police department in the area has any recollection of any such thing? Saying he shot 30 people in New Orleans after Katrina even though no officer has any recollection of him being sent there?

Chris Kyle shot a whole lot of people in Iraq. He also seems to be, like a lot of people, a guy who isn't above telling a wild tale or two. The one he told about Ventura was shockingly ugly and an outright lie, and I'm glad Ventura got his vindication.

No, I didn't read whatever story you mean. Just heard stuff here and there.
    Did you read what I wrote?
    I said accepting everything said was true, meaning Kyle was guilty of whatever, how did they arrive at the amount it harmed a nutcase like Ventura?
    That was the only reason for the suit I understand. Bringing up everything else people say he lied about should not have any relevance. It seems the publicity from winning is more harmful to Ventura than the original act, whether it happened or not.
    I don't know why we even care one way or another.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Can you provide a link to Kyle saying these things?
    I've read his book and don't remember anything about this.
    You have to think about the possibility that some stories were made up by fans, kinda like the chuck Norris stories.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

You have to think about the possibility that some stories were made up by fans, kinda like the chuck Norris stories.

Actually there is a video of him on a radio show answering questions about the "incident" involving Ventura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhjHWovwix4
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

Actually there is a video of him on a radio show answering questions about the "incident" involving Ventura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhjHWovwix4

Yes the Ventura incident was in the book, but the Katrina and carjacking stories I've never heard of until now.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Uh oh...

There is no way this is ending well now....
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    It's a mentality. George Custer had some impressive achievements during the unCivil War, but later claimed to have killed 100 Indian warriors at the Battle of the Wash-ita, when it was actually only 8. Gen. Sherman told him to knock it off, but Custer soon had the figure at 300.

Lying about anybody, especially in print, is unacceptable. Stephen Ambrose, whose military experience amounted to wearing a band-box type of uniform while in college ROTC, became famous for plagiarisms, and worse, fabrications about veterans and others and military events in general, and was also successfully sued in court.
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1

What?! How dare you doubt the truthfulness of the Chuck Norris exploits? If he gets word of your sacrilege he'll glare in your direction and scorch all the land in between. Think of the children man! [:0]
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Spreading bs lies about someone for personal fame is pretty dirty too.quote:Originally posted by legear