In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rant.....gotta say it, some still don't hear it

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
I just wish everyone would get it in their thick heads that we DO NOT celebrate the 4th of July!!!

Guys/Gals, we celebrate INDEPENDENCE DAY. Just sit back and think on it a minute. When we talk about celebrating the 4th we are losing sight of the true meaning behind this national holiday.

We aren't celebrating that we have a day off from work, that we have an excuse to light fuses and blow up stuff.

We are celebrating the cajones that our ancestors possessed when they finally said, ENOUGH, we are mad as hell and we aren't going to take it anymore. We are free thinkers, we are entrepeneurs, we are gentlemen and scholars, we long for a nation free of tyranny, where each man plots his own destiny, we are Independent. We will fight for it and not fear the consequences should we fail.

Hear us and heed our call. Unite for freedom, follow us to a new nation.

That, my friends is what we celebrate. Remember this when you wish someone a "Happy fourth of July" instead of "Happy Independence Day". Do you say Merry 25th of December, or Merry Christmas? Stop yourself and observe the meaning of celebration in your speech, let our young ones be reminded of what spirit our forefathers had in standing up to a tyrannical nation and the forging of what became to the world a beacon calling to others who wanted to hold their destiny in their own hands.

We have lost our way and parsing words lays a foundation of apathy. To this day, peoples of all nations continue to flock to our shores, seeking the flame that was lighted centuries ago. Don't let our complacency extinguish it.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The 4th is much easier to say, so it has become synonomous with Independence day.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My bank gets it:

"U.S. securities markets and USAA Investments will be closed Monday, July 4 for Independence Day."
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    It's a hard habit to break. I find myself wishing people a "Happy 4th..Independence Day". I'm working on shortening that up to just "Happy Independence Day".
  • Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    What's more tragic is the fact that a HUGE majority of the public have NO EARTHLY IDEA why we celebrate 'Independence Day' and what the day actually means. Many think its just a day off work to barbeque and set off fireworks.

Our nation's education system has done a spledid job in meeting its goal of dumbing down this once great nation.[V][V]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [;)] Way too many people do not even understand what July 4th means...Happy Independence Day! drives the point home for everyone.
    What's next?
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Would "CHRISTMAS" also be included in this rant?
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    [;)] Way too many people do not even understand what July 4th means...Happy Independence Day! drives the point home for everyone.

Good point. Goes along with so many high school seniors not even knowing what the Capitol of the US is!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The history education of our young folk should not be left to the public school system if you want your children to know the truth. YOU must take the initiative and ensure your children KNOW what our country is about.

We have lengthy political discussions in our home with free thinking encouraged. That being said, some will take heart that my 19 year old daughter and I were discussing the 2nd Amendment about a month or so ago.

Her words, not mine, "It was written to ensure that We the people have a means to rise up and overthrow a government that no longer abides by the Constitution. It is not about being able to defend ourselves or deer hunt."

She said she learned this in school. For the most part, Southerners still get it. [;)]
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Restore the RTKBA, restore America!
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    If only we were still independent.[:(]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we have lowered the standards and lost enough self respect i believe AMERICA to be about finished
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    This is Susie's rant about Independence Day, but my rant is about Memorial Day..

Especially the idiots who holler...Happy Memorial Day...

Happy as in you are to be happy remembering those who died in war?....ooookay..
  • Options
    plinkedplinked Member Posts: 401 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats alright I was just in a small town Memorial Day parade and that night the town put up a fireworks display to "Celebrate" it!!!!
    Some folks really don't have a clue
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    I agree[V]quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    If only we were still independent.[:(]