In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

to build or not to build......

cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
edited October 2007 in General Discussion
that is the question.....need an engine building project this winter.....thinking of building a 383 for my camaro....the 327 goes like a $#%^%% can wrap it to hell won't have it no more but i didn't build it...it's not good off the line i need a lot higher rpm stall converter for it than whats in it now

Comments

• Options
    SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    can you shoehorn a 454 in there?
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes it had a 454 in it....but guy who owned before me took it out and put the 327 in it.

454s are hard to find around here when you do its worth a lot of money
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 383 is a good choice. I went with a 406 in my '71. As others have said "nothing beats cubic inches". On the other hand the cost of building a big block dwarfs that of a small block.

Let us know what you choose.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,409 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    If I was going to build a Chevy, I'd probably go with the 383.
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any time you replace a Chevy with a Mopar motor you will go faster. The 383 is a high winding big block. You ca actually stroke it to 451 ci with the right pistons and crank.
  • Options
    agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's talking about stroking a 350 with a 400 crank and a .030 overbore.

If you want to do something a little more unusual, Hot Rod built a destroked 400 using a 327 crank and 300 Ford rods several years ago. 350 cubic inches, super high compression, safely ran on pump gas, and posted an impressive torque curve.
  • Options
    ZebraZebra Member Posts: 5,762
    edited November -1
    MOPAR= "Married Old People And Rednecks"
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    383 or 406 would be my choice, unless you wanted to spend the big bucks like I did and build a 429 cu. in. small block chevy.

The 327 doesn't produce enough torque for a Camaro, no matter what torque converter you use. A Camaro weighs about 3300 to 3600 lbs. A 327 would be a good choice in a Vega or Chevette that weighs about 2500 lbs.

You could build a 406 for about the same money as a 383, so why not get the cubic inches, and about 30 more horsepower!

A big block is o.k., but then your adding about 200lbs to the weight of the car, and the car won't handle good either.

Let us know what you decide on!
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stick with the 383, 406 is nice but need a 400 block, those can be spendy,for the 383 parts are cheap, kits are out there, and not to heavy on the machine shop work, if you want torque and HP go with the stoker.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Put a 462 Pontiac in it.Then when you blow the doors off them other Chevy and Ford guys their expression is priceless.[:D]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget the stall converter and hang a third petal in her with a Rockcrusher.
  • Options
    xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with a 327 but 350's are a little easier to get parts for. Plus you can build 'em fairly cheap. Throw some Vortec heads on a stock short block with matching intake, double pumper Holley, recurved dizzy, 3.73 gears and it'll run great on 87 octane. Mike
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cowdoc..hows 425hp and a warranty sound..you cant build one this cheap and reliable...Loko..[8D]..or the ZZ502..[}:)]

http://www.gmhorsepower.com/ZZ_383.html

http://www.gmhorsepower.com/ZZ502_Deluxe_Kit.html
  • Options
    37rangemaster37rangemaster Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zebra
    MOPAR= "Married Old People And Rednecks"

What have you been smoking? There are only two types of people. Those who own Hemis and those who wish they owned a Hemi[}:)]

DSCN07102.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SG,
    The biggest problem with a Pontiac motor is the extreme expense! And still never really go fast, unless you put it in a 2000 lb. car!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heheh,true about the expense but if you call 9.94sec 1/4 in a 3800lb pump gas T/A that is driven to and from the track slow then I want to know what your secrets are![:D]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibV6EVp__rQ
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SG,
    Those are some very impresive numbers! I take back what I said! I've always been a chevy guy and was never impressed with Pontiacs or Buicks until now!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SG,
    What kind of brakes do you have on the car? I just had my car tuned and should be running in the high 9's as well, but i'm always worried about stopping. I have Wilwood brakes on all 4 corners, and my car only weighs 2800 lbs., but our shutdown area at our track is shorter than most.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    For the money you would spend you would be better off going with a big block. I used to race guys in Super Comp that had some killer SBC's, but they cost twice as much to build, and only had half the life span as my old 498 (later 521, 572 and 632). Plus due to a wonderful thing called tourque you do not have to work the engine so hard by pulling a ton of RPM.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mango, The car isnt mine,it belongs to a member of PY that I frequent.His car is running an Indian Adventures II 535 block with Butler wideports,9" rear,3.50 gears,stock front suspension with 90/10's and caltracs in the back with a full exhaust and no power adders.All motor!He's also had back to back 1.42 60 foot times.

As far as brakes go,I would think those wilwoods on all 4 corners will have plenty of stopping power,especially at 2800lbs.I know guys that still run drums on the back with no issues(including myself)although I do want to eventually switch to discs.I have manual stock 4 piston calipers on the front of my 3700lb 68 goat and she stops pretty good.Although Iam nowhere near 9 or 10 secs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    +1quote:Originally posted by Mk 19
    For the money you would spend you would be better off going with a big block. I used to race guys in Super Comp that had some killer SBC's, but they cost twice as much to build, and only had half the life span as my old 498 (later 521, 572 and 632). Plus doe to a wonderful thing called tourque you do not have to work the engine so hard by pulling a ton of RPM.