In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hitchhiking

robbie pennyrobbie penny Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
ever picked someone up ? ever hitched a ride yourself ? i have done neither

Comments

• storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by robbie penny

I used to. Picked up a meth head once. That was the last time. Landed me in Jail for Assault with a Deadly Weapon and Deliberate Homicide. Spent three days in Jail and all charges were dropped. Sheriff handed me back my shotgun in his office but kept the S&B buckshot (for himself)

No more hitch hikers unless they are hot blond college girls with nice clothes on. Or no clothes at all.
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a young man/teenager hitchhiking was the way to travel.

Passing up a hitchhiker if you had a empty seat made you feel like you let someone down.

Yes I hitched many rides and when I had a car and gas I've picked up many hitchhikers.

The crime rate has spoiled a good way of cheep travel.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I picked a young man up a couple of days ago that was hitchhiking.

I haven't done that in years, but the weather was rotten and the guy really looked downtrodden.

6 mile ride. Nice guy.

I buried him in the culvert.

Doug
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one night i picked up a hitchhiker, it was raining so i didnt get a good look at him or i would never of picked him up. he got in and was a pretty scary looking guy, as i was a college student at the time i didnt even have a gun with me[:0] . anyway i was pretty freaked out about the guy, he had with him a large duffel bag so i asked him what he had in it, he told me "none of my fning business".

i asked him where he was going and he told me "anywhere", man the guy was creeping me out so i asked him again what was in the bag, agian he told me "none of my fning business"

well after about 50 miles i stopped for gas and he got out to go to the bathroom, i quickly paid and got the hell out of there before he got out.

anyway i got out of there so fast he didnt even get his duffel bag, so i got it[}:)]
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson

I haven't done that in years, but the weather was rotten and the guy really looked downtrodden.

6 mile ride. Nice guy.

Doug

People like you make me mad.[:(!]

Thats probably going to cause some flooding issues.[;)]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    last ride I gave was about 25 years ago....it was a 15 mile ride....the guy stunk so bad I had to drive the whole way with my windows down...when we got to his destination he asked if I could spare a few bucks...I told him get out and be lucky he got to where he needed to be....never again.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson

6 mile ride. Nice guy.

Doug

Doug, The more I read your posts the more I appreciate you![:D]
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal
    one night i picked up a hitchhiker, it was raining so i didnt get a good look at him or i would never of picked him up. he got in and was a pretty scary looking guy, as i was a college student at the time i didnt even have a gun with me[:0] . anyway i was pretty freaked out about the guy, he had with him a large duffel bag so i asked him what he had in it, he told me "none of my fning business".

i asked him where he was going and he told me "anywhere", man the guy was creeping me out so i asked him again what was in the bag, agian he told me "none of my fning business"

well after about 50 miles i stopped for gas and he got out to go to the bathroom, i quickly paid and got the hell out of there before he got out.

anyway i got out of there so fast he didnt even get his duffel bag, so i got it[}:)]

OK OK

What was in the duffel bag?????
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    quote:Originally posted by robbie penny

I used to. Picked up a meth head once. That was the last time. Landed me in Jail for Assault with a Deadly Weapon and Deliberate Homicide. Spent three days in Jail and all charges were dropped. Sheriff handed me back my shotgun in his office but kept the S&B buckshot (for himself)

I would like to know more about this story. If you dont want o post on board email me.

No more hitch hikers unless they are hot blond college girls with nice clothes on. Or no clothes at all.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7

OK OK

What was in the duffel bag?????

none of your fning business[:D]

i know its an old one but still kinda funny if you tell it right in person
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would hitchhike home from college on weekends in the 60's. I don't think I would hitchhike or pick someone up today given the way things are. However, a serviceman in uniform is a different story.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

SO, what was in the duffel bag?
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    I used to when I was a commuter. Now with a family I don't.

4 years ago I contracted some stonework over by East Glacier park. I lived in the park on the East side for 3 months. While traveling home, a young guy with a life jacket on was hitchhiking. I picked him up and he had a cool story.

It was a Fri. afternoon and I was heading back to Idaho. He had a truck in the shop in Whitefish, the shop closed @ 4 and was closed all weekend. He was rafting with his friends and realized the time so he jumped out of the raft, swam to shore and hiked up to the highway to hitch a ride into town so as to catch the shop before it closed. Dropped him off at the shop and all was well.

Too many freaks out there these days, never know when someone might be up to no good. Maybe I got lucky?
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75
    I used to when I was a commuter. Now with a family I don't.

4 years ago I contracted some stonework over by East Glacier park. I lived in the park on the East side for 3 months. While traveling home, a young guy with a life jacket on was hitchhiking. I picked him up and he had a cool story.

It was a Fri. afternoon and I was heading back to Idaho. He had a truck in the shop in Whitefish, the shop closed @ 4 and was closed all weekend. He was rafting with his friends and realized the time so he jumped out of the raft, swam to shore and hiked up to the highway to hitch a ride into town so as to catch the shop before it closed. Dropped him off at the shop and all was well.

Too many freaks out there these days, never know when someone might be up to no good. Maybe I got lucky?

Good on ya! Always cool when people pick us up after rafting. Sure beats calling the wife for a ride back to the truck or hiking it. :)
  • tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    iN THE MID 70"S, THERE WERE A COUPLE OF GUYS (16 or 17 y.o.) IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD WHO, Because the neighborhood was in the country, sparsley populated, and didn't have others their age, AND BECAUSE IT WAS THE MID 70"s, would (as legend would have it)smoke some pot, stand on opposite sides of the street, and hitchhike until whichever got a car to stop, ride as far as that car was going, and then repeat the process. They ended up in all kinds of places and met all kinds of people. This continued until they got bored and then hitched with purpose, in order to get home. It's amazing what some people do out of boredom. This is absolutely a true story. And, come to think of it, I may have been one of those guys ;-)
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Remember when I was in the military, we would hitch from one station to another , Put on the uniform, grab the Duffle and hit the hyway..Been from Coast to coast that way, never a problem. Even had a couple sheriffs let us spend the night in Jail( it was snowing out), and gave us breakfast and then took us to a good place to hitch on further..
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done a lot of hitchiking.
    I got a 14 day vacation, and hitchiked from Atlanta to Boulder, Colorado.
    Spent a few days at a festival in the mountains.
    Headed northeast, went through Duluth Minnesota, and north of the Great Lakes into Canada through Thunder Bay, and then east.
    Crossed back into the US and hitchiked to Vermont to visit my brother for a few days.
    Then hitchiked back to Atlanta.
    That is a lot of miles on a two week hitchiking vacation.

I went with two buddies to spend the summer in the wilderness of northern British Columbia.
    After a few weeks, the one guy got homesick, and turned around and went back to Atlanta.
    Unfortunately, he was the one with the car.
    I told my buddy Mark, "Don't worry, we will hitchike back, it will be fun."
    Well, in August our wilderness adventure was over, and we hitchiked back. That was about 4,500 miles in 10 days.
    Only thing was, hitchiking wasn't too good in Canada. The people were friendly, but, there were not enough of them.
    Many miles of road and few people.
    So we hopped a freight train, and rode 800 miles across the praries on a Canadian fast freight.

scottontheengine.jpg
    Young Allen riding the rails outside Medicine Hat, Saskatchewan

I crossed the North American continent a couple other times on hitchiking adventures.
    I also hitchiked all over Europe, including Italy, Sweden, Denmark, England, and Germany.
    On three consecutive nights in Germany the guy who had given me a ride offered to let me spend the night at his house.
    So I got to go inside German houses, and eat supper with German families.
    None of these people spoke English, or, if they did, wouldn't admit to it.
    I spoke German, so we sat up late at night talking things over in German, and drinking that great German beer.
    All three of these guys had fought in WW2, so it was fascinating to discuss WW2 combat in German, with former Wehrmacht troops.
    That is an experience you get through hitchiking, not gonna happen if you are with a tour group of Americans staying at the Munich Holiday Inn.

The only negative experiences I had was getting hit on by gay boys.
    That happened about 10 times.
    I had a gay Kraut trying to put his hand on my thigh, while he was driving down the Autobahn at 90mph in his Mercedes.
    When I wouldn't put out, the Nazi b****** kicked me out!
    I was standing in the rain on the shoulder of the Autobahn.
    Time to start walking, those Polizei don't play, if you think you are going to hitchike on their Autobahn. Ramps, only!
    Autostop am Autobahn Verboten!

Of course, if I had a car and was driving, I would usually give a hitchiker a ride.
    When I was giving someone a lift, usually I had no problems, but, some of those hitchikers stink! Man that can make for a long drive when your passenger hasn't had a shower in two weeks.
    That is when you say, "Oh, my route just changed, I have to get off at this exit" and get that stinking hitchiker out of the car.
  • VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    Shootuadeal,,,,I know[}:)]

anyway i got out of there so fast he didnt even get his duffel bag, so i got it

YOU WANT SOMEBODY TO ASK,,,"WTH WAS IN THE DUFFEL BAG?" ?????????

I know the answer already,,,,ROFLMAO!
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hitchhiked to and from high school for two years (mid 60s). Going to shcool I would be by myself or with one other hitchhiker. Going home I would hitchhike at a stop light with about fifteen to twenty other hitchhikers. I hitchhiked after school but usually with friends as security.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I've done both. In 1980, I hitchhiked from Gunbarrel to downtown Boulder every day to work. It was quicker than RTD.

I picked up a guy on highway 14 a year or so ago. He asked why I had a pistol so near at hand in this seemingly crime-free area. I told him it was for coyotes. And meth heads.

It was a pretty quiet ride after that.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only stopped once for a couple that were pushing a very little baby in a stroller down the highway. I couldn't believe it....in 90 degree heat....blazing sun....just impossible to believe anyone would be pushing a baby like that. I was MAD, but just wanted to get the poor thing out of the sun. They had at least 10 miles ahead of them before ANY shade was in sight.

I took them to the gas station they requested....I think there was a bus stop there. As I looked on...the Dad went in and bought a SINGLE BEER from the cooler. Wonderful people out there....poor baby.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Early Seventies, I was a Midshipman in the United States Merchant Marine Academy, In Great Neck, New York - (On Long Island).

Hitched (One Ride!!) from Great Neck, to Panama City, Florida, with a fellow who was going to New Orleans. He even let me drive, so we could keep moving along.

Also Hitched from the Academy to and from Houston Texas - many many rides.

All my rides, never any problem. Some I wouldn't ever want to be around again, but o other complaints from me.

All told, I guess I hstched pretty heavily for over five years - many thousands of miles. Maybe a couple hundred rides.

Would not even think of it nowadays.

Very seldom, and only in really special circumstances, would I even consider picking up anyone.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Hitchhiked lots in late 60'S to the mid 70'S. It was easy to get a
    ride if I had a string of trout or salmon. Most of my hitchhiking
    was to get to and from fishing spots on the Skeena River in Northern
    British Columbia.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    The secret to hitch hiking is a sign. It lets folks know u have a destination and it lets folks feel like you're a local. Never put a town that's too far away, on the sign.It's better to put a town a few miles away, then feel the person out, for a longer ride, if their going there or that far..[;)]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wife and I spent a summer hitching around the country. Starting point Colorado, destination Oregon. Went where ever the ride took us. Got to see Mt. Rushmore that year. I know, that isn't the right direction.

Got stopped at the east entrance to Yellowstone. Rangers said we couldn't camp in tents, inside the park that year, because of the bears. [:(]

Were dropped off at an intersection in Oregon in the middle of the night. Walked off the road a bit until we found a relatively flat spot, where we set up the tents. Waking up was rather abrupt, with the ground shaking and all. Found out the next morning that we were ON the path the cows used to get to the river for a drink.

Later, while sitting on the side of the road playing cards, we were offered a ride. From the looks of these two, we probably would have ended up in the same culvert Doug Wilson used. Said no thanks. Turned out they were friends of the guy we were going to visit. Interesting summer for sure.

Used to hitch a lot, still pick up hitchhikers once in a while. Met people I never would have otherwise. Some good, some not so.
  • ValsdadValsdad Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a teenager I hitched all over,mainly out west.Met some good people,met some bad.Used to pick up any I seen,quit doing that about 15 years ago.Too many wierd stinky people,too dangerous anymore.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to hitch all the time when I was a teen- secret for me was to be walking, not standing- if you heard car coming, turn, and continue to walk backwards while hitching. More than one driver told me "I don't pick up hitchhikers, but you looked like you neeed to go someplace.'

Last time I picked anybody up was a year ago- we live in the country, about 8AM, fellow walking and hitching, carry lunchbox and water jug, wearing hardhat. Construction worker, had missed his ride, trying to get to construction site.