In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I had my new license inspection Fri. FFL

jethrojethro Member Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in General Discussion
It has only been about five weeks since I mailed my FFL application. Thursday I got a call from the local ATF office to schedule my inspection. It was pretty much just a Q&A session. She did make sure I had locks on the doors to my shop. Other than that, there was not much else.

She said that she would give her supervisor her report Mon. and recommend granting my license. Not much different from what I expected.

The only surprise from this, was she said it would probably be 4-6 weeks before I get my FFL in the mail. Oh well, I was hoping to have it in a couple of weeks[8D].

Thanks for letting me share!

Mike

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck and enjoy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you.
    [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Good luck with the new endeavor.[8D]
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good deal Mike.
    Glad to hear that all is going well.
    I just hope that everything goes smoothly when I apply in a couple of months.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations, sounds like a dream come true to me.

Best!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It kind of is a dream come true. I have had my FFL before and loved it. I enjoy dealing with people, and love to handle all kinds of new guns! I am looking forward to getting started again.

This time around I have a real job that leaves a bit more expendable income to build up some inventory. Now to decide what will be good to have sitting in the safe.

Mike
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,976 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So there is going to ba a grand opening give away? Maybe just a really good sale? Congrats!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmmm. Maybe a knife or something.... What do you think??

Mike
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    What was your inspection like?
    what do they ask you ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Shop is a 18x32 pole barn with a concrete floor that I built 8 years ago. The only door in it is the standard entry door. No windows. So the only thing she looked at was the door to make sure it had a lock.

I showed her my Bus. License and Resale certificate so she would know I was in business. She had me look over my application to make sure there were no changes. Then she said she didn't see any reason not to grant the license.

From there it was just going over a checklist of things that she needed to cover. They asked some questions I don't understand, like do you intend to deal in paramilitary weapons; like AK-47's or such. I said sure, if someone wants them- maybe even AR-15 or others. She also asked if I was going to sell at gun shows and flea markets. I said sure to gun shows.

They make sure you know about straw purchases and the such. Really, other than those odd questions everything was pretty much just making sure I understood the regulations. I had a couple of questions that I was wanting clarified, but she had to check on them for me.

It took about two hours to cover everything, of course she was very attractive, so that didn't bother me!![:D]

Mike
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    ElderWolfElderWolf Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jethro
    They make sure you know about straw purchases and the such.

What's a straw purchase? Also, I'm searching for the part of the regs that spells out the requirements for the place of business so I can pass the inspection when they come. I'll be applying for an FFL to run out of my home.
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A straw purchase is when someone buys a gun for someone elso that is not eligible to buy a gun for themselves.

Example: Wife buys a gun to give to her felon husband.

No can do.

That will kill your liscense.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Straw purchases are not only limited to "unlawful" gun owners. You cannot sell a gun knowing it is for ANYONE besides the person filling the 4473 out. There are some grey areas....like spouses and gifts....but its just best to not play around when it comes to all of that. Some will say you can do this or that, but I bet when it comes time to pay a lawyer to prove it in court they aren't so helpful. Good luck!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats on getting it, best of luck to ya, and I hope you make tons of money.
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jethro
    Hmmm. Maybe a knife or something.... What do you think??

Mike

I was thinking, an AR-10..

[;)]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations- and good luck with your new business! The "odd" questions? Inspector trying to get a feel for you and your business- checking out the "lay of the land" so to speak. Those that have questions about a "strawman purchase", here's a link- http://www.dontlie.org/PR_idx.cfm?PRloc=share/PR/&PR=111406.cfm